SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliemaye

Can Hardly Contain Myself! Opinions Please!

juliemaye
10 years ago

Hello! I need some opinions!

I recently adopted a kitten (her name is Onyx, she's all black...everyone calls her Nyx.) Anyway, Onyx was taken from her Mom & Litter-Mates at 5 weeks old by her previous owner, and I adopted her at 10 weeks old when a change in the household made it so they could no longer have a kitten. Nyx is about 14 weeks old now, in need of her second set of shots, and is extremely rambunctious. Her lack of opportunity to stay with her cat family & learn how to properly play without being so aggressive has made her a biter and a scratcher. (Along with an excessive lover, and an extremely needy little girl!)

Here's her whole personality in a brief description: over-the-top. She constantly is in need of cuddles or affection, or someone to entertain her (although she is getting really good at playing by herself!), and often doesn't realize she's biting or scratching so hard, due to not having been taught by her family! (as I previously mentioned!)

She is getting a lot better, but she is terrible for ambush attacks at feet, hands, faces, hair, arms, legs, and anything else that suddenly moves. (I know it's a common kitten instinct, but kittens who are with their families longer, learn to do this things without causing so much damage, i.e. drawing blood.)

Anyway, I recently got extended the opportunity to adopt a Savannah cat (maybe crossbred I'm not 100% certain). I am kind of totally iffy...I've always wanted a Savannah cat, but I am terrified that they won't get along! I also fear that Nyx won't adjust to the situation very well, and will lose her bond with me. (Despite it being difficult, having a super-needy cat, I much like having a dog-like cat. She is independent a lot, but still relies on me for a lot. It is a nice balance.)

Also, the Savannah cats are naturally slightly aggressive, but due to the cat likely being a crossbred, this feature (might) be less intrusive on it's personality, I'm not sure, though. Also, the Savannah has an issue with loose fecal matter, possibly meaning an illness. The lady has informed me about this issue, and has mentioned that she took the cat to the vet yesterday. They are awaiting results. I said I would need to see written proof that it is not a disease that could affect my kitten. My kitten has yet to get her second round of shots.

Also, this lady is being very loose with her information, and taking a few days at a time to respond. She claims the re-home is an emergency, but then takes a long time to respond or take any action??

Anyway, I am worried that adopting this cat could do more damage than good...so... I guess my question is: should I trust my instinct and leave my happy little family the way it is right now: happy and little, or should I go out on a limb and help this lady?

A lot of me is saying I already know: I should leave my family little and happy for now, and down the road when the time is right, possibly get another one. But I really want a second opinion.

Comments (10)