SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Container planted bulbs/Newbie needs your expert opinion!

17 years ago

Hello,

I have two big (20" diameter) containers on my porch. I would like to have a showy blooming for all 3 seasons in these containers. I do not mind replanting for different seasons, but I have so many questions :-( I hope you, garden gurus, will help me with some advice/suggestions.

So my plan is:

Tulips and Muscari for spring;

Asiatic and Oriental lilies (short varieties) for summer;

Dahlias and dwarf Asters for fall.

I plan to plant tulip and muscari bulbs this fall, and leave them in containers outside. I am in zone 7 - think they are hardy enough to overwinter in large pots. Next spring, after they finished with their blooming, I will lift them and replace with lilies. Same in the fall for dahlias and asters.

As I am going to buy some fancy varieties, it would be really nice to reuse bulbs for several years. I know how to lift and store tulips and dahlias, but I never planted muscari before. My first question:

Can I store Muscari bulbs for the next year and how to do it?

Now about lilies. I was thinking to plant them in plastic soda bottles as temporary pots, and then bury them with these pots into my large containers. It would allow starting them before tulips' foliages will die and replant them into containers safely, without disturbing the roots. Why bottles? Because lilies have to be planted deeply and bottles are tall and narrow. It also easier to arrange them inside the container.

Does it sound workable? And what would be the best way to keep lily bulbs during winter in this case?

Please tell me what you think. I am not an experienced gardener, but I will do my best.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice/suggestions.

Comments (6)