SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jb1176_gw

Light Challenged Condo Kitchen Help

jb1176
15 years ago

We have an open concept condo and the kitchen and utility room are in the back of the condo and have no windows. The utility room leads to the garage. The front of the kitchen has a pony wall looking out to the dining room, living room, sun room. facing east and south with windows from floor to ceiling 12 feet. These spaces have lots of windows and plenty of daytime natural light, but the kitchen is a cave. The great room has Sepele wood floors - dark mahogany color and all the ceilings are vaulted to 12 feet.

We want to replace the vinyl floor in the kitchen and utility room before we replace laminate counters with granite. I should mention that there are ample recessed can lights in the kitchen and halogen and flourescent undercabinet lights under all upper cabinets. Task lighting is good.

We've looked at Dal Tile Veranda series through body porcelain in Suede color - a rich deep warm brown. The kitchen cabinets are generic honey oak and are staying. The obvious granite choice to go with these tiles is Juparana Tobacco which is a granite containing every color of chocolate you can imagine,

A second option is to do a light floor, cream, beige through body porcelain and use Bianco Romano granite for the counters. Obviously the two looks are totally different. We are not skilled in decorating and don't know what path to follow.

The dark suede tile will but up against the sepele wood as the transition between the kitchen and living areas begin. The suede tile looks beautiful next to the engineered hardwood flooring and appears to make a good color transition. The grout would be dark and thus despite floor being dark, the grout would not stain as bad as light grout and light tile.

Appliances are white and will remain white. DW doesn't like SS and Black so we will live with white appliances.

Now here is where I need you all to speak up. Which direction should we go, dark or light? Paint color would be chosen after we determine which floor and counter we are going with but I anticipate something light in ivory family.

Please put on your decoratng hats and help us out.

Many thanks to all you wise people!

Jay

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES