SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doingygirl_gw

Radiation therapy for 13 y.o. kitty

doingygirl
16 years ago

Our 13 y.o. maine coon cat was just diagnosed with carcinoma (most likely nasal although could be lacrimal with extension into the nose). The only treatment option available would be a rigorous 3 week daily (M-F) round of radiation performed under sedation. The vet explained that due to where the cancer is located (just under his eye and extending into his nose where it has bore a small hole) the radiation would cause dry, itchy, flaky, skin during the last week of treatment and may cause oral and intranasal ulcers, as well as dry eye syndrome.

Without the radiation tx. the vet thought he may live for another 3-4 months before he would need to be put to sleep. If he were to undergo the radiation therapy he may live another 12-14 months. The vet did state that the cancer would still reoccur following radiation and that additional radiation would not be an option.

My husband and I are having a hard time deciding what to do. Our main goal is to preserve our cat's quality of life no matter how short or long that may be. We could opt to have a CAT scan done (no pun intended) to see how extensive the cancer has spread since the greater the affected area is the radiation would need to be given over a greater, thereby causing more tissue damage. Our vet did prescribe Metcam (a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) which has shown to help combat cancer in cats and Pepcid (to protect his stomach from the Metcam side effects).

If anyone can shed any insight or thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it. I wish we could just ask our cat what he would like done. As I stated before I just want what will give our cat the most quality of life. He is otherwise a very active and loving cat.

-Thank you for your time,

robin

Comments (6)