SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Removing paint drips and other newbie questions

vdinli
16 years ago

I thought I will start a new thread with some newbie issues that came up while painting a room with paneling. I learnt a lot by searching and reading on this forum but I might have missed posts that talk about any of these issues. So if its already been addressed feel free to direct me elsewhere. As for background, we cleaned up the paneling with Jasco No rinse Tsp subtitute, sanded and primed with Bullyseye 123. The paint we are using is Valspar signature from lowes.

1) How do you get out drips from the first coat of paint? We tried being careful about running the roller from top to bottom. But some of those drips seemed to have formed while drying. As in the paint was level to begin with and when we moved to the next section, the previous one got runs.

2)How do we avoid getting drips in the second(and hopefully final) coat? Its a satin finish and the drips are very obvious!

3) How do you know when the roller is fully loaded but not overloaded. We did do three-four reloads for every 8' X3' section as faron recommends. Am not sure whether it was too much and that's what was causing the drips.

4) How do you get paint around wires and cables? use an artists brush, remove the wires?

5) Is it ok to clean brushes and rollers in the sink? Will it clog up the sink. We are using only latex based primer and paint.

I would love to see one of you guys/gals in action. Anyone have videos to share :-) Meanwhile, I am just reading, learning and trying.

Thanks in advance

Vinaya

Comments (7)