SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rswojo

Max coughing and puking

rswojo
11 years ago

We got Max from our local shelter about 3 months ago. It turned out he came with feline distemper as standard equipment. So 4 days of intensive care at the vet and $500 later I seem to have a healthy cat. He seemed to be thriving and gaining weight for about two months.

Fast forward to about 2 days ago and he starts barfing twice a day. He gets dry food and a "treat" of canned for supper which he wolfs down. He barfs about midday and at night. He also has a cough which doesn't sound like the coughing cats have which is associated with hairballs. It is just a brief strong coughing spell. He also seems to be dry retching occasionally.

The puke seems to look like his canned food (no blood, no bile), you could almost put it back in the can and resell it. There is a very small amount of hair in it. I made another appointment at the vet for today but he didn't puke last night so I cancelled it figuring he just had a bug he managed to fight off. But today sometime around noon he barfed again.

He wolfs down his wet food for supper so we going to give him just a very small portion of wet food tonight. I was thinking of cancelling his canned food supper entirely also to see if that would help.

Anybody have any other ideas, he is a beautiful cat with a nice mellow disposition but these medical problems are beginning to be a drag on my finances, another vet visit and more treatment and I am getting close to $1000 for a cat (I already have a sweet, economy model 7 year old) and then what might happen next in another couple months?? My wallet is getting to the end of its rope.

Comments (5)