SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Lessons learned this season

aachenelf z5 Mpls
13 years ago

Around here, we're rapidly approaching the end of the gardening season. This is also the time of the year when I take a look at how things went and start planning for that perfect (cough, cough) garden next year.

So........ my thoughts:

1) Boy what a difference rain makes. After a couple of years of drought, I had forgotten how certain plants are suppose to behave and look. You just can't water your way out of a drought.

2) Organic matter, organic matter, organic matter - it makes all the difference in the world. Since I never have enough compost, I've been concentrating my efforts on a few beds each year. I just top dress with the compost, but it all works its way into the soil eventually. Improvement on so many levels is almost immediate.

3) Regular division of certain plants is a must. I kind of neglected this chore for a few years, but last season I bit the bullet and starting chopping away like crazy. Daylilies, phlox, grasses, asters, allium and a whole bunch of other plants were divided and the results this season were impressive. With some plants you have to wait a season to really see the results, but it's so worth the wait.

4) It is possible to overdo it with a plant you thought you loved. A couple of years a ago, I fell in love with Lychnis coronaria, so this season I planted it EVERYWHERE. Huge mistake! When they all bloomed, I thought I was going pass out. All that hot pink made me nervous. I ended up chopping almost every plant down to the ground while in full bloom. Next year - 3 plants - max.

Any additions?

Kevin

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County