SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Have you learned any new lessons this growing season? I have.

Two hard lessons for me, one new, and one more of a reinforcement of a principle I try to follow.....

1. Never let up on a spray program for black spot or rose midge fly, especially rose midge fly. I skipped the month of July, and have 'paid the piper' dearly!

2. Never plant a rose in the fall here in my garden. Winters are just too severe here, and cut back a rose severely come spring.

My tiny Miranda Lambert today, is smaller than she was when planted last September. She was dead above ground this spring, even with heavy protection last winter. I wonder if she is ever going to thrive for me because of me going against my better judgement, and planting her in the fall.

Moses

Comments (48)

• oldrosarian
    6 years ago

I have learned with the climate changing the heat of the summer, plant any paler roses in some shade. Most of my soft colours went to a washed out shade in a few days time. Many of the red roses got burnt around the petal edges.

• Zack Lau Z6 Connecticut
    6 years ago

In my yard, the more sun I can get the bigger the rose bushes! All day is better than most of the day.

• Related Discussions

What have you learned so far this season?

Q

Comments (83)
    I learned something this season that I knew was coming down the pike but didn't know when, now I know when. For the first time in my gardening history I'll have to stop expanding the garden and start to shrink it next year. I've reached my upper limit on what I can successfully maintain and due to slowing down myself so goes the garden. Missing from next year's planting list will be Onions, Cantaloupes, and perhaps Butter beans. I'll still grow watermelons but on a smaller plot with smaller melon varieties, I just can't pick up those Big ones trying to tippy toe through vines without twisting my ankle or getting a hernia, ha. Will hold onto planting the main staples of the veggie world....as long as possible :)
    ...See More

Lessons learned - 1st half of the season.

Q

Comments (27)
    Hello drscott, One item that drew my attention is spacing in general and #7 in particular. SFG gardening has very little to do with simply growing things compactly. It must be in very good soil. Good soil is more central to the basic concept than space despite its name SFG. If you plant corn in ordinary top soil 1 foot apart I would not be surprised that corn would not do well especially since it is the prime example of nitrogen eating plants. If you are a bit careless with the soil SFG will disappoint and this has been an issue with me when all I had available was commercial compost since I had recently moved. I did have a box that seemed have some issues on the corners with some plants. If you have space and reasonably decent top soil then why not use the space you have? However don't plant in big rows which I think is universally foolish for home gardening unless one is going for a farm appearance. 4x4 beds or some such is far better for weeds, disease and soil compaction. I had come to this conclusion as a teenager when I did a row garden and 4X4 in ground bed side by side. However having done all the above including SFG, I would have to say SFG is the least amount of work. This includes container gardening which is a bit more work mostly because of watering for the exchange of the ultimate in flexibility.
    ...See More

Lesson(s) you've learned this year (2015)

Q

Comments (106)
    I learned having a vegetable garden is great! No kidding, it's my first year having my own. Pretty modest start, with a single 4'x8' raised bed, then again, I don't have a ton of estate on my small suburban lot. What I grew in there: two red tomato plants, three cherry tomato plants, one Italian, three cucumber plants, a few green beans, some shallots. Got a nice steady harvest of cucumber starting in mid-summer. Got plenty of tomatoes from all plants, but season was late for everything and still have lots of green ones on there, but they are plump and large. Have started to eat some a few weeks ago. Had our first frost a couple of days ago, but I cover with a tarp whenever there is a nightly threat. September weather has been really nice so far though, maybe not ideal for kick-starting the ripening process, but it's starting to get a bit crappier now, maybe things will progress a bit faster. I may have 50-60% of my crop still on the plants. I was lucky and did not get any significant pest or disease and I did nothing to prevent it really. For next season, I plan on having two more raised beds of same dimension as well as growing a few plants in large containers/buckets. I learned I should space tomato plants more than 12" apart, as I was told by someone who gave me seedlings. I should also figure out the support scheme before I need it. Same for cucumbers.
    ...See More

Most valuable lesson(s) learned from 2015 tomato season

Q

Comments (5)
    Welcome. No matter how long, we keep learning and getting experience. Q: Are you just growing in pots or also in beds ? Q: What your growing conditions are like ? Sun, shade, summer temperatures, season length ??? For Pots/containers : For better production and ease of maintenance, bigger soil volume is better. It should provide for a good root mass, better moisture and nutrient retention . Minimum size being 5 gallon for smaller plants, but 10 + gallons is better. Use only "soil less" potting mix, with good structure. . With soil less potting only use synthetic fertilizer. Think about supporting your plants from the time you plant them. Cage ? stakes ? Implement fungi prevention schedule from day one, every 10 to 15 days.Do it as "preventive" measure rather than waiting and trying to fight the diseases. There are many aspects to growing tomatoes. Wait for other comments. Sey
    ...See More
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Zack,

I wish I had more sunlight. I get just about 7 hours of direct sunlight, from 9-4, on the longest day of summer. I believe just a couple more hours would make a noticeable difference, but since I get the strongest intensity of the day, that probably compensates somewhat.

Moses

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

I learned what rose midge is.

I learned that I hate rose midges.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I am learning, somewhat reluctantly, that even though a rose has a perfect color or fragrance in somebody else's climate and soil, it doesn't mean that it will in mine. I must accept this and grow accordingly!

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

second ebharvey1

I learned of various methods to treat rose midge and will quarantine my new roses somehow so I don't introduce even more rose midge.

I've learned that own root roses can be cane hardier and less susceptible to disease than their grafted counterparts due to mostly all rootstock being rose mosaic virused.

I've learned that even disease resistant roses don't like the excessive rain we had and the cooler temps. Even the Kordes look sad.

Sharon

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

This year I learned that roses grow quickly here to almost their full size and I seriously need to space accordingly! I already have to move at least 4/5 bushes .

I also learned from seeing other gardens I need to invest in more perennials in order to keep blooms coming from all directions. When my roses took a break my 5 pitiful daylily were not cutting it nor my burnt out salvias .

also no more climbing roses unless I want to take over the whole backyard

and no more clematis ! Not related but I buy them like a candy bar at the checkout line and have no idea anymore where to put them

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Gee Lily- I wish I had your problem. My climbing roses never really climb and most of my roses never reach anywhere near their listed size. The one that did get huge was Darlow's Enigma which I killed moving it one too many times.

I do have some perennials to add interest when the roses aren't blooming. One I absolutely love is Echinacea Southern Romance. It's the softest mauve pink and very romantic looking. It flowers from late June through September here if I cut it back. I also have fringed bleeding heart which do well in my partly sunny yard. It has beautiful lacey fern-like grey green foliage and mauve pink flowers. Not quite as showy as the old fashioned bleeding heart but he foliage is prettier and it doesn't go dormant. For a touch of purple G. Rozanne or G. Azure is great. Azure is a bit less sprawly than Rozanne. I found that I can prune it into a nice round mass to keep it under control. I love it spilling over the walls of my raised beds or climbing up my arbors and trellises. It is a water hog though.

sharon

• Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm learning everyday! And this is fun.

Otherwise the biggest thing I'm dealing with as a new kid is learning when to stop buying new "ooooo that's so pretty" roses. I'm feeling like the poster child for Lily's candy bar analogy.

We started this spring with a tree rose from Lowes and 3 we ordered from Heirloom (to "test out" ordering plants online/mail order). Now there are at least 30 from 6 different vendors. Yikes! O.O

ah but then there's this:

Our Wollerton Old Hall's first bloom. And my dear flower snob admits he was wrong about it looking like a blah flower. ;-)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Very pretty Shannon! I like how deep the color is. I was afraid it would turn burnt white here but am SO curious about the fragrance. Do you like it so far?

• P TW
    6 years ago

1. Cut back canes in the spring. Even if they survived the winter. One of my roses had canes that survived a milder winter, and now has severe rust problems.

2. Don't trust others to dig out your roses. I had several removed so that workers had a place to pile up dirt when waterproofing my basement. The roses I removed are doing great. The roses they removed (because they demanded to remove more roses than they originally said was needed) have suffered terribly due to lack of roots being dug up, not enough water to prepare them for the shock, and replanting them surrounded by a lot of clay dug up from deep underground instead of the nice black soil I had been building up over the years.

3. Reduce the number of roses (and other plants). I am not spending as much outdoor time in my garden as I had originally planned (I got a dog and spend most of my outdoor time with her instead walking and at the park) and so despite the effort being put in, I am not spending much time enjoying the blooms. So starting next year my garden is getting shrunken a bit, and more space is being reclaimed for grass for my dog. The year after I will shrink it more. I will likely go from 24 roses to 12-15, and also lose 3 of 5 peonies, about 5 tall garden phlox, a bunch of lilies, most of my irises, possibly my bee balm which gets too big anyway, and 4 of my 9 daylilies. Some of these might get saved if I decide to put a planter on the narrow, sloping space beside my driveway, but I only have a 2-3 feet so I am not so sure of that.

• Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    6 years ago

Thank you Lavenderlace.

I really like the fragrance so far. It does smell different to me than Abraham Darby for example, but not bad to my nose. This is the first flower and it just opened yesterday morning. I'm guessing there will be some change in the flower and even the fragrance as the plant matures?

We've had a little of the remnants of Harvey going through. Mostly breezy and light rain. So I haven't been out as much to smell the new bloom. Did sneak out this morning to take this picture. I thought it was neat that the bloomed closed/cupped up in the rain. Haven't noticed others doing that?

Wollerton's pot is on a shadier/cooler part of our back deck. It looks like it really likes it there. It gets filtered sun starting about noon, slightly shaded by a crepe myrtle. The afternoon sun hits it for at least 4 hours, but at an angle and not usually blazing down. I have worried about where to place Wollerton for good, and it seemed best to test out locations in a pot first while it's little.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Really cute. I have many roses that close up at night, as well.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

I've learned (most reluctantly) that surviving doesn't mean thriving. I have the opposite problem of Lily, in that many of my HTs and floris creep up by inches each year and I keep hoping next year will be their Leap Year. Unfortunately, most of my fussy pants roses can barely manage a "hop" year at their best. I wade through knee high bushes that can be 4-6 years old, and enjoy the couple of blooms I get from them in a year.

The good news is that I can fit in a whole lot more roses than I would if I were even a zone warmer. The bad news of course is that most of them are relatively unexciting as bushes. I'm gradually learning to put truly hardy and robust roses in anchor spots in the beds and use the fussy pants HTs as accents, like paprika in the garden beds.
    And yes, I love the multiple perennials that fill in while roses are resting. Without the phlox, balloon flowers, clematis, salvias, daylilies, gaura, lilies, asters and mums, I'd be pining worse than ever for the wimpy roses scattered among them.

Cynthia

6 years ago

Sharon - I love the perennials you described! I only have Rozanne geraniums and they are so so pretty and climb up my Renea roses . I need a few more!

Sun2shinie your wollerton looks great! Mine is new too and I love the glowing blooms. They do fade but I don't mind . The glowing stage is worth it !

Also unrelated to roses but the problem I was working on today.. I will never plant morning glories again ! Gosh talk about "cousin It ". One small packet took over my arbor , shepherds hooks , and garden flag. I had to cut my bird feeder out if it twice now . And only 5 blooms so far! They better bloom soon or I'm gonna set the whole thing ablaze. Jk but if you saw this mess you would agree that's the only solution:)

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I learned that ignoring a mole or vole problem is a bad idea.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I learned potting roses, versus planting right into the ground, has it's challenges. The potted do better at first, but as the summer progresses they suffer from the heat here. I might plant them into the ground earlier next year in this hot climate.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

erasmus_gw- I couldn't agree more. I didn't really know I had a vole problem until this spring when the snow melted. I stopped counting at 20 dead roses. I'm now in the process of replanting my remaining roses in biodegradable pots completely surrounded by a seashell moat, top, bottom, sides. I've read that the won't dig through crushed shells but that was a joke to them. I'm using shells used for driveways that lock together. I hope they won't be able to dig their grubby little paws through that. I'll let everyone know next spring if it works.

Sharon

• nilaa_7a
    6 years ago

I learned how devastating it is when you expect to see a bloom for weeks on end, and bugs come and eat your precious rose buds. When I grew couple of roses in rentals I never had this problem (same zone) when I finally get to have my own garden all the bugs in the world came for an attack. It seems like I should keep up with spraying if I want to see any blooms at all.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Lovely bloom, Sun2shinie! I agree with Lilyfinch about the morning glories. Even the different species ( the NOT purpuria kind) will take over. Mine got away from me this year. It's awfully hot out, but I need to rescue the clematis underneath.

Thanks to Lilyfinch, I also learned what a difference a good shovel can make. All these years I thought they were all about the same. The one from QVC is amazing! I'm going to make a post over on the Antique Roses forum about it later today. I love this thing, what a difference!

I've also learned kind of the opposite of Moses. I cannot plant bareroot roses past January or February. They struggle past that, and the later I plant, the more likely they are to die.

I unfortunately learned about midge. This is one insect I can NOT just ignore and live with. I hope I caught it in time. Thanks to this forum, it's looking hopeful. Lisa

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

Weed early and often. :-(

Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, I love this thread, thank you!

6 years ago

Oh Lisa I am so glad you love the shovel! I was nervous that people would be unimpressed and maybe have wasted money. Makes me glad I put it out there!

I only planted the heavenly blue morning glories thank goodness!

Enchanted rose , bless you for having to do all that extra work for voles !! Eeek I hope I never see those . I hope your strategy works for you !!

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

lily- thanks. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas.

sharon

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I learned not to judge a new rose by its first blooms. I had a few that were totally different from what they are now. Some I wad downright dissapointed in and now they look fabulous.

I also learned that in this zone, if I says 3-4ft, give it 5. Then I won't be moving roses.

I have such graditude for my new forum friends who have been so helpful and ecouraging.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Me too, Kristine. This forum and the Antique Roses forum are a pleasant part of my morning routine. I have a cup of coffee on the patio(year round), let the 3 kitties play in the garden, and get on here. I've learned SO much over the years, and it's wonderful to have friends that love roses as much as I do.

Lilyfinch, I can't thank you enough for recommending that shovel. I thought my digging days were over until this baby arrived. I haven't written the post over on the Antique Roses forum yet, but today should be the day. Boy, do I love that thing! If only it would cool down enough to use it. It has been horrendously hot here! Lisa

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

If it's not disease resistant it dos not belong in my garden.

I learned that black eyed Susan's bring the lady bugs. I also learned that my roses do much better in the front yard than in the side yard that was my previous planting spot. Too bad hubby won't let me plant more in the front!

Kordes roses are doing well for me, but no two roses are created equal. Some austins do great (spirit of freedom, heritage, Evelyn, pat Austin, teasing Georgia, Windermere) and some perform horribly in my climate (golden celebration, Jude the obscure, alnwick, wisely 2008,). It's all very trial and error.

A good irrigation system is worth its weight in gold and soil amendments are non negotiable here. also fertizer does not last as long here due to our sandy soils and heavy rain so applying more often is crucial.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

I've learned the importance of a consistent and varied spray and fertilization program esp. in my hot and humid climate. My roses have never looked as good as they do this year, I follow a spray program like the one recommended by Roses by Ryan here:

http://www.rosegardensbyryan.com/newsletter/samples/Rose_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf

Lilyfinch and Lisa,

I agree that morning glories will rumble over everything in their path. But I think they are worth their space. Be patient, they are daylight length sensitive so they don't bloom until they're ready, but once they get going they're spectacular. Here are my Heavenly Blues:

They climb right over the 8ft fence so everyone driving along my back alley is greeted with a very blue good morning:

• subk3
    6 years ago

I've learned that even though on the map I'm zone 7 that in my yard I am not!

I've learned to embrace modern roses along with the antiques as the antiques that handle the disease pressure here don't seem to handle the winters.

I've learned that it is worth browsing through the roses at the big box stores--something I was too much of a snob to do before.

I'm still needing to learn more about appropriate spacing! Maybe I'll work on that next year...

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Bent, those are heavenly, wow!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

I've also learned that I hate rose midge & thrips...lol

Learned that rose slugs weren't so bad after-all...lol

Learned I need more good insects & birds to inhabit our garden...

Learned I still have alot to learn...lol

• mary1nys
    6 years ago

I've learned that I am getting really tired of all the battles to grow roses. This midge battle has really started to wane my interest in roses. After this year I am going to start concentrating on more perennials - clematis, hydrangeas. Roses I lose won't be replaced, and I will no longer buy any new ones. I will nurture what I have though. But I can see I will barely have any Fall flush due to this menace.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    6 years ago

When Japanese Beetles are really bad, I have learned to use a small, manageable, plastic bucket instead of a cup (soapy water). I discovered this LATER into the JB season.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Mary from NY,

Do you like rugosa roses and hybrid rugosas? I found them to be essentially midge free. Please look into them. My entire rose garden was hybrid rugosas and a few polyanthas several years ago.

They are no more trouble to grow than a spirea or hydrangea. You don't dare spray them, even if they needed it (which they don't), because their foliage will brown and fall off. Even liquid foliar feeding will destroy their foliage.

Please consider them. They are practically cast iron.

Moses

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Mary- I agree with Moses about the Rugosa. I had Polareis Rugosa (Polar Ice) and she flowered nicely all summer and had a beautiful scent. I removed her when I started growing other roses. But her flowers were pretty and her scent just ahhhh....

photo courtesy of HMF

Mine was totally carefree but did get pretty large.

@Moses- I had forgotten about this beauty. I may be buying her again. She did well in part sun and those ethereal flowers are just luscious!

Sharon

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Sharon, that is so gorgeous. How big will it get?

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Kristine- Mine was probably 4 -5 feet tall and 5 or more feet wide. I bought it several years ago own root from North Creek in Maine, which is about a 5 hour ride from here. The flowers were gorgeous and smelled wonderful, not overpowering but just perfect scent. Mine always had some flowers on it and it wintered over beautifully. No disease but I think the JB's liked her. We removed her when we revamped our gardens to make room for other roses. I wish now I had kept her and found a different spot for her. She does send up suckers though so has the ability to get huge. The thorns are wicked too. If you planted it below your windows it would deter burglars for sure!! Her flowers were gorgeous, they remind me of DA's Peach Blossom. So ethereal and seemingly transparent. And a perfect pink to white. If you have the room I would recommend her. I had forgotten how beautiful she was until Moses commented about Rugosas and hope to buy her again next spring (she's in the Roses for 2018 folder!). I'll just plant her in a spot she won't outgrow.:-)

Sharon

• mary1nys
    6 years ago

Thanks for the Rugosa recommendations! I do have some larger roses which the midge don't seem to bother. Quietness, Earth Song, and Freckles get very little winter dieback and are 5 by 5 this year. Pomponella Fairy Tale is also another large bush which the midge don't bother. It's the new smaller roses that I have put in this year which are struggling due to Midge. Sharon..I also have Polareis and I absolutely love it.! It's about 10 years old. I got it from Vintage Gardens in one of it's last years shipping roses. I remember overwintering it in my garage and was a little 8 inch stick. That thing is about 8 feet tall now and just gorgeous! It's in the front yard on a corner far away from the pesky midge beds.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Mary from NY,

On the subject of midge and hybrid rugosas....in the wild we know that roses usually do not grow in large single species groups as we are prone to grow them in our gardens. There is one rose here and another yonder, in nature.

For a midge to find a wild rose bush, and locate its growing tip specifically, could be a formidable task for a tiny insect that spends its life at ground level mostly, and rose bushes are far apart.

I believe each rose bush has its own population of midge living at or near the ground beneath it. They appear to be home bodies, not usually traveling far in search of a rose except when growing tips are scarce, or other factors like the wind come into play.

I was told by an entomologist friend that the female midge probably follows an unique scent trail given off by a rose's growing tips in locating the correct part of the rose to lay her eggs. Makes sense to me.

Now comes into play our hybrid rugosas. I grew/tried over 30 varieties of hybrid rugosas, and found not one of them susceptible to midge....beautiful, powerfully fragrant flowers all season long. Why? Perhaps their growing tip scent trail is not alluring to midge? Maybe there is a toxic substance to midge maggots found in hybrid rugosa growing tips? The rugosa species is native to cold East Asia. Midge may not even exist there. The frilly growing tips of hybrid rugosas may not feel right to a female midge, so she goes elsewhere in search of a proper place to lay her eggs.

Whatever the case, the hybrid rugosas I grew for a number of years never were bothered by midge.

If they were, they would have been 'dead ducks', since spraying for midge would likely have severely damaged their foliage. Their foliage is tough, but not able to take chemicals of any sort, even foliar Miracle Grow feedings. Now a mild organic foliar feeding like fish emulsion, manure tea, or seaweed could not do any foliar damage. I never used these on my hybrid rugosas, so I don't know for sure.

Sharon's Polareis looks like a real winner. I never grew it. I think it came out into commerce after I got out of hybrid rugosas. From the photos on HMFR, of bush shots of Polareis, it looks like the heaviest blooming hybrid rugosa variety I have ever seen!

My favorite three hybrid rugosas I grew, were/are: Henry Hudson, Schneekoppe (Ger.); (aka. Snow Pavement, "Pavement" meaning ground covering or ground carpeting), and Roseraie de l'Hay.

Mary, I hate to see you get out of roses. Midge is a very disheartening plague, and gut punches you like a street fighter. Hybrid Rugosas are the light at the end of the tunnel.

Moses

Original Author
    6 years ago

Sharon,

Now Polareis, that's one stunning rose, and a hybrid rugosa to boot! Thanks for your input!

Moses

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Moses- you're welcome. I grew Polareis and a red/pink typical beach rose rugosa. Both were bought from North Creek Nursery in Maine. The owner specializes in Rugosa roses. The beach rose rugosa, a purchased rugosa, only flowered in spring. Polareis flowered heavily in spring but had bloom throughout the season. I grew her when I was very new to roses so she was in the shade of a birch tree. She still bloomed well despite not being in the best of conditions. She was a very pretty, healthy rose in spite of it.

Sharon

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I had no idea that rugosas could be so beautiful and fragrant, thank you!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

I got Basye's Purple, which I've read referred to as a " future classic", and hope the midge don't find her after I plant her out this week. Everything about her is amazing.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Vaporvac,

Back in my hybrid rugosa days I was waiting in great anticipation for my Basye's Purple to arrive from ARE. When it came I was a little disappointed by its scrawny, twiggy growth, but I bought it for its supposed purple bloom, not its growth habit.

When it bloomed I was disappointed to the extreme. The flowers never were purple. They were variable, from dark, dull, brick red to mauve, fuchsia or typical hybrid rugose deep, garish pink. They were also small and mostly consisted of deformed petals. I never got what I would call a garden worthy bloom from it, yet alone an exhibition quality one. It always looked sickly in bloom, and had a spindly, open growth habit. It soon met its end with the shovel.

I found Basye's Purple to be the most disappointing and disliked hybrid rugosa of all the ones that I did not like. There were very few I did not like.

Moses

6 years ago

Somehow, I love my Basye's Purple!

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Sheila, those blooms look enormous! Is that their regular size or because you are such a great gardener? I've seen pictures of your garden and wowsa!

6 years ago

Thank you, lavenderlace. I don't think they are huge like Pink Surprise, but the color is amazing.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

One thing I keep learning is that blooms usually get much better as a plant ages. Hanging in there with a new plant that has underwhelming blooms often ends up rewarding. I just don't get bummed out by b lah new blooms anymore.

I am still ignoring my vole problem even though it's a bad idea. I am overwhelmed. I don't know what to do. I don't want to put out poison , mainly because of my cat, but also dogs. Also I don't like to kill creatures, even worms, or spiders in the house. I had a pet spider in the bathroom and my husband had one too. It lived at least a year behind a picture frame. I think the new spider living there must have eaten the old one. I guess I need to get a trap, and let the voles go somewhere in the wild.