SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pranjal_gw

Help!! Max not getting along with Simba

16 years ago

Max (2.5 yrs neutered male) and Simba (1.5yr neutered male) are fighting a lot. Max instigates these fights. He's always been a big brother to Simba, n this change in behaviour is scaring me. This happened earlier too but then it was evident they were just playing.

Today I separated them as they finished their spat n went to talk to Max about 10 min later. He hissed and growled at me, then as I turned to go he stalked me and nipped at my feet and scratched my hand, hissed again. Now he's hissing thru the glass door bcoz he sees Simba on the other side. Max is very strong, but Simba is the quicker one, and though there haven't been any injuries yet, I'm really scared that if Max gets really wild someday, Simba won't stand a chance!

Could it be the addition of Pumpkin to the household sparked this? We let her out of her room for abt 15 min at a time, twice or thrice a day, and she interacts mostly with Max; this morning he rushed at her and stopped abruptly - the signs were all there - he was making his trademark deep meow (he does that just before he strikes Simba - or me!), but stopped maybe bcoz of Pumpkin's expression - she's hissed and swatted at him when he plays rough with her.

What could be causing this? And how do I reduce (or stop) it? Should I take him to the vet? Max is normal - appetite, pee, poo etc. And, he's the one who starts it, always.

Interestingly, sometimes (not often) we do find them fast asleep hugging each other.

Thanks, Pranjal

Comments (12)