SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Tall/pantry cabinets along long wall... what would you do?

pippiep
8 years ago

I'm still deciding on what to do along a long, blank wall in my kitchen remodel. I saw a pic of 12-13" tall cabinets going most of the way across, but didn't like it. We want to break it up with some amount of counter in the center, and that would be where we keep all our coffee/tea stuff (we have several appliances). The tall cabinets will have most of our food. The reach-in closet pantry will house appliances and excess bakeware/cookware.

• How much counter in the center? We've had designs vary from 36-60". I'm leaning towards 48". (We will use the same tile backsplash there.)
  • How wide for the tall pantry cabinets? 30 or 36"? I thought we'd go with 30, but then one designer put 36" cabinets.
  • How wide TOTAL on that wall? 8 or 9'?
  • How deep for everything? One designer had 18" tall cabinets with 21" deep center area; another had 13" deep tall and 15" deep center, and yet another had 15" tall with 13" center. One more had 13" all across, with the center neither indented nor sticking out. I CANNOT DECIDE ON THIS!!
  • I'm trying to think of a good way to have a charging station area on one end, but haven't figured it out. Not on the counter part, since I consider that to be a "wet" area. My husband is thinking we can make that pantry wall closer to 8' max, and then get a small table to put on the end. I say why not have something built in, which would look nicer?

For those of you who remember my other plans, let's say I decided to remove the 12" cabinets on the side of the island closest to this wall, so aisle widths are not an issue. The plan that I come up with for this pantry wall will help me decide about the island. I want that wall to have the best layout because that space will be more useful than the back of the island.

I also think I like the look of the upper cabinets in the center lining up with the upper part of the tall cabinets, if that makes sense. So the center area will be taller than standard. We might put glass or decorative doors on those center uppers.

Anyone have pics to share? I'd love to see them!

Comments (10)