SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucky400_gw

Good Cookie Recipes to bake and mail to Afghanistan

Lucky400
13 years ago

Hi,

My nephew is a nurse currently stationed at a mobile hospital some where in Afghanistan. All I know is that he is not near any mess hall and all they eat are MREs, which are ready to eat meals and not very good. Anyway his Mom and I are going to be baking lots of cookies this weekend and then mailing them to my nephew and the other troops stationed where he is.

We are trying to come up with good cookie ideas that will travel well and not melt, etc. We are going to make standard sugar cookies but we will NOT be icing them just sprinkles, etc. We are afraid the icing might not hold up. We're also making spritz cookies but we really want to make lots of different kinds and need some ideas.

I was hoping all of you might have some good suggestions and recipes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

Comments (14)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Biscotti travel well and never seem to get stale. Gignersnaps are good too, as are oatmeal cookies.

I bake cookies just big enough to fit into a Pringles can, then stack them in and put the lid on, it helps keep the cookies from getting banged around so much during shipping and also helps keep them fresh.

Actually, I put the cookies inside the pringles container, then inside a ziplock bag, and pack well so they don't get smashed. Popped popcorn works great.

Tell your nephew thanks from me, please.

Annie

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

My best to your nephew. Great idea to send cookies.

The link below has some really good T+T recipes that might give you some ideas. There is one recipe that is called "World Peace Cookies", it would ship well. I have made them several times and everyone loves them.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong Extra

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: More cookie recipes

Q

Comments (19)
    Jane, someone wrote to me and asked the same thing. I haven't tried that, but I ran across a recipe from a Sunset magazine that is similar, but with orange instead of lemon and with dried cranberries. The recipe was the winner of a Sunset cookie bake-off contest so it must be very good. Dried cranberries are good in muffins, so why not cookies. I doubt it would spoil the taste at all. If you try it please let us know how they turn out. Jen
    ...See More

Baked the big chocolate chip cookie recipe

Q

Comments (16)
    I copied this recipe too as my kids love seeing those "cookie cakes" at the bakery, but we never buy them. Thanks Sheliajoyce! Last time i made cookies, I didn't feel like making individual ones, so I made a double batch and spread the dough into a 9X13 pan (lasagna pan). I had to cook about 10-12 minutes longer for the center to be done. Tasted like cookies, but texture of brownies. My husband who is not normally huge on sweets-LOVED them!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Sugar-free No Bake Cookies

Q

Comments (6)
    I have been using your recipe for almost a year now. I love it. My daughter and grandchildren love it, but what surprises me is my little dog loves it. One addition I have tried a few times is: cut up about 6 dried dates into 1/2 cup of water (instead of the milk) and let sit for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Then follow recipe. I also add chopped nuts or chopped dried apples sometimes. I made a batch today and they're in the refrigerator chilling. Then I will try to dip the balls in melted chocolate. My diet allows me to have 8 grams of sugar so I can find dark chocolate with a lot of looking. One other point, I have found that two packets of sugar-free hot chocolate mix equal 6 tbs. of Quick. Thanks again for the recipe - it is wonderful. Monica
    ...See More

RECIPE: Need good tasting wheatless bread & cookie recipes

Q

Comments (5)
    Here is my favorite recipe for peanut butter cookies..... ~2 cups peanut butter ~2 cups sugar ~2 eggs ~1 teaspoon vanilla ~Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. ~Beat peanut butter and sugar in bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla ~Roll dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. With tines of fork, press crosshatches to flatten. ~Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on rack. For this recipe, I've found that natural peanut butters (the kind you have to stir together) do not work well. I also like to vary it by adding different kinds of chips. Chocolate, peanut butter and white chocolate are all good. I also don't usually bother to flatten them with a fork and they still come out fine.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    13 years ago

Oh, I forgot, shortbread ships and keeps really well too!

Here is my molasses cookie recipe, it's great and makes a LOT.

Chewy Molasses Cookies
    (Annie CF)

1 1/2 cups of shortening (I use half and half with butter, but all butter makes them too crispy for my taste)
    1 cups granulated sugar
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup of dark molasses
    4 1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    Chopped crystalized ginger, optional, to taste. I used about half a cup, finely chopped and wish I'd have used more but I love ginger
    Coarse sugar or turbinado sugar for rolling

Cream the shortening and sugars. Add the molasses and eggs and mix until well blended. Sift the flour (yeah right, I don't, LOL) and measure 4 1/2 cups into a separate bowl. Add the spices, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Turn the mixer to low or stir, and add the flour slowly until well mixed. Stir in the chopped ginger and chill the dough for at least an hour.

After the dough has chilled for an hour, roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and roll the balls in the coarse sugar to completely coat. Place the dough balls about an inch apart on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

The cookies will puff up and crack. When the cookies are done the cracks should still look a little wet, but the outside should look dry. They'll "fall" a little as they cool, let them sit a couple of minutes on the sheet before you try to move them to cooling racks.

Annie

• bryansda
    13 years ago

Here's a recipe that will combine oats and molasses. My grandmother use to measure them out in a round tablespoon and store in Pringles cans.

Just Plain Good

3 cups sifted flour
    2 t. soda
    1 t. salt
    1 t. ground cloves
    1 t. ground ginger
    1 cup sugar
    2 sticks margarine
    1/2 cup crisco
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup molasses
    2 cups uncooked oats

With this recipe make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. If you use a mixer, use the dough hook even for creaming for best results.

Sift together flour, soda, salt, cloves, ginger and SUGAR. Cream margarine, crisco, eggs and molasses then add dry ingredients. Last thing add the oats.

Measure dough at 1 level tablespoon full and bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 dozen

This recipe was found in a GRIT paper years ago. It's suppose to be from the kitchen of Mamie Eisenhower
    and one of President Eisenhower's favorites. I know it's my family's favorite.

• obxgina
    13 years ago

What a wonderful idea. Please send a big thank you to your nephew from me!
    Here is an excellent recipe for spicey gingersnaps, I believe it's from Ann! My family loves these and they travel very well! I also included my spiced nut recipe, they travel very well also!

Extra Spicy Ginger Snaps
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground ginger, or more
    to taste
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) cool unsalted
    butter, cut into pieces
    1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra
    for rolling
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
    1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2
    eggs)
    Combine the flour, baking soda, and
    spices in a mixing bowl and set aside.
    Cream the butter until smooth and
    fluffy in a mixer fitted with a paddle
    attachment (or using a hand mixer).
    Add the sugars and mix. Add the
    molasses and mix. Add the egg whites
    in 2 batches, mixing to combine after
    each addition. Add the dry ingredients
    in three batches, mixing to combine
    after each addition.
    Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Spread a few tablespoons of
    granulated sugar on a small plate.
    Roll the dough into 3/4-inch balls,
    then roll each ball in the sugar until
    lightly coated. Transfer to parchment
    lined cookie sheets, leaving 1-inch of
    space between the cookies. Bake until
    browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on
    wire racks and store in an airtight
    container.
    Yield: 60 cookies

Spiced Nuts

2-TBSPs. Butter
    3- cups nuts
    1-TBSP. Worcestershire sauce
    1-tsp. Chili powder
    ý-tsp. Garlic salt
    ü- tsp Cayenne pepper

Melt butter in pan in a 300 degree oven. Add Worcestershire sauce and nuts. Mix well. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove nuts from oven and sprinkle with spices.

• craftyrn
    13 years ago

Such a good idea, Barb-- please send my THX & blessings along with that box. When our Marine was deployed over there
    ( 4x) these always traveled well & his group always asked if I'd send along a package of Oreos too.

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Cookies

Chubby Hubby Cookies
    ====================
    2 cups butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons vanilla extract
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 12 ounce package peanut butter chips
    1 cup salted peanuts
    2 cups crushed pretzels*
    . Preheat oven to 350* degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars
    until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a medium bowl,
    combine flour, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture. Stir
    in chocolate and peanut butter chips, peanuts and pretzels. Drop by
    heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
    bake 10-13 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and centers are
    still soft. Do not overbake. Cool one minute on cookie sheet. Cool
    completely on wire racks. Store tightly in covered container. Source:
    Bob Zotto, Bruker AXS Cookbook Note from Marlen: The pretzels should be
    about the size of the chocolate chips, not pulverized. You want to
    taste bits of pretzel as you munch. This is a crunchy cookie. I use a
    food processor and just pulse until the desired size is achieved.

posted by Marlen

Diane

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Send him a big thanks from me, too. How about snickerdoodles? Here's a recipe posted by Cookingrvc a year ago.

Mrs.Siggs Snickerdoodles were the best I ever had.
    Ingredients

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1/2 cup shortening
    * 1 1/2 cups white sugar
    * 2 eggs
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    * 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
    3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
    4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

Annie, I like your Pringles can idea, but I never buy Pringles. I guess I could put the word out to people at work to save their cans if they buy Pringles. I like to ship cookies from time to time, too.

Sally

• Lucky400
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All these recipes look great! Looks like we will have lots of cookies to send! Thanks.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sally, I don't eat Pringle's either, but now Lay's has a potato chip in the same size cans and someone gave me a beef jerky/stick container for shipping cookies and that was the same size too.

Of course, Bud and Makayla are always willing to help out by eating the Pringles, LOL.

Annie

• Fori
    13 years ago

I've mailed Annie's molasses cookies and was informed they travel quite well. :)

Many candies mail well too (but I have a feeling that the soldiers I've mailed stuff to will eat just about anything if they've been over there long enough!).

• bbstx
    13 years ago

DD and I made these several weeks ago and took them to Sis's house. They traveled in the car in a ziplock bag with not one broken cookie. My only caution is do not over-cook! They are chewy, not crisp.

Citrus-Kissed Honey Buttons
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/citrus_honey_buttons.html

From EatingWell: November/December 2010
    These citrus-flavored sugar cookies are a lovely addition to any holiday cookie platter.

3 dozen cookies : Active Time: 20 minutes : Total Time: 1 1/4 hours (including 30 minutes chilling time)

Ingredients
    â¢1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    â¢1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    â¢1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    â¢1/4 teaspoon salt
    â¢1 cup granulated sugar
    â¢4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (see Tip)
    â¢1 large egg
    â¢1 tablespoon honey
    â¢1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
    â¢1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
    â¢1 teaspoon lemon extract
    Preparation
    1.Whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a small bowl.
    2.Beat sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, honey, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon extract, and beat until blended. Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or overnight.
    3.Preheat oven to 375ðF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
    4.Roll the dough into 36 balls (about 2 level teaspoons each) with your hands. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
    5.Bake, one batch at a time, until puffed and beginning to crack, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    Nutrition
    Per cookie : 59 Calories; 1 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 9 mg Cholesterol; 11 g Carbohydrates; 1 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 36 mg Sodium; 15 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other)

Tips & Notes
    â¢Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dough for up to 1 day. Store cookies airtight for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. : Equipment: Parchment paper or nonstick baking mats
    â¢Tip: To soften butter, let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Or cut into small pieces and let stand for about 15 minutes. (Do not soften in a microwave��"the uneven heat may melt the butter in spots.)

• tropicals9b
    13 years ago

These are so great and would travel well as they are moist and chewy. I just made a double batch tonight in my brand new KA stand mixer! You can leave out the toffee bits and chocolate chips and they are just as good - actually better.

Oat-rageous Cookies
    1/2 C butter
    1/2 C sugar
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 C all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 C quick cooking oats (I use regular Quaker oats)
    1 C semisweet chocolate chips
    3/4 C cranberries
    1/2 C chopped walnuts
    1/2 C English toffee bits
    In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in egg, water and vanilla.
    Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients.
    *Drop by rounded Tbsp 2" apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
    **Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. (My oven takes 15 min.)

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Barb:
    Pizzelles and Biscotti are always a big hit here.
    In fact I caught H~~~ , because I didn't have any made for Thanksgiving.
    And they are only plain with Anise.
    I sent these to my Niece when she was in Bagdad.
    Packed Biscotti in one airtight container and Pizzelles in another.
    Don't pack them both in one container.

She distributed them to the Marines, who she worked with.

They were a hit with them. Asked when more were coming.

This sounds like a a lot but are very easy. (10 min. Prep)
    Good , Light, Crispy, Delicious, Mouth Watering, To kill for,
    Lou's Pizzelles
    3-X large eggs
    1/2 cup (1 stick ) of melted butter ( not hot )
    3 tablespoons of oil
    1 cup of Sugar + 3 Tablespoons
    4 Teasps. of Anise Extract or 1 Teasp. Anise Oil or
    Try a little less first and adjust to taste
    I use McCormickâÂÂs Anise Extract or Anise Oil from FanteâÂÂs of Phila.

1 3/4 cups of flour , add more to thicken
    4 level, teaspoons of Baking Powder

Mix well, All the ingredients, except the Flour & Baking powder
    Then add them and mix well. If you think the dough is
    too soft add a little more flour.
    I add until the batter peaks , ( a little stiff ) while mixing ,
    and mix with a Tablespoon, to make a soft dough.
    I use a Mellon Scoop, with a trigger release, to measure the dough. ( it holds one teaspoon )

When baking the Pizzelles pile them far away from
    where you are baking.
    Because they are soooo Gooood you will be eating them as you go.
    This will make about 40 Pizzelles, unless didn't listen and piled them too close. Then you will have about 3 left and gained 2 lb. Save one for me

LouâÂÂs Biscotti - Basic Anise Flavored

Pizzelle Dough can be used to make Biscotti.
    Just add more flour to make a soft Dough.
    Divide in two and roll out 2 Logs about 14 inches long.

Place them on an oiled cookie tin, separated, to allow for them to grow.
    Flatten the 2 logs, leaving the center higher.
    Bake in a Pre heated , 325 Degree oven, 25 to 30 minutes or,
    Until a golden color on top.

While still hot
    Remove to a cutting board, make a cut, diagonal across; in the center,
    to remove them from the pan easier.
    Continue cutting diagonally the size of a Nickel and separate them.
    When cooled , eat them or place in a Tight container.
    Whichever comes first !!!

There are many variations for flavors and texture.
    Almond flavors can be substituted. Almonds can be added to the dough.
    Raisins can also be added.
    Or they can be put back into the oven and toasted.
    Ciou !

• carrie2
    13 years ago

Here are two that last almost forever and would ship well:

Anzac Biscuits

350 degree oven

1 ý cups flour
    1 ý cups sugar
    2 cups rolled oats
    2 cups dessicated coconut
    1 cup butter
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    4 tablespoons boiling water

Bring small amount of water to a boil. Mix together flour, sugar, oats and coconut in a large bowl. Melt butter in a small bowl. Add golden syrup and baking soda dissolved in boiling water. Make a well in the dry mixture and add wet mixture. Mix thoroughly. Roll small, uniform pieces of dough into balls and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for about 12 or 13 minutes.

Almond Anise Biscotti

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2 ý cups flour
    2 teaspoons anise seeds
    1 ý teaspoons baking powder
    ý teaspoon salt
    ý cup butter (one stick), softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest
    2 eggs
    ý teaspoon vanilla extract
    ü teaspoon almond extract
    1 ý cups coarsely chopped almonds

In a medium bowl, combine flour, anise seeds, baking powder and salt; set aside. Beat butter, sugar and orange zest, using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add vanilla and almond extracts. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in almonds. Divide dough in half. On an ungreased or parchment covered baking sheet, form into two flattened logs, each one about 14 inches long by 3 inches wide. Place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake 40 minutes or until light golden color. Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees. On a cutting board, cut logs crosswise on the diagonal into þ-inch slices. Arrange biscotti cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes on each side. Transfer biscotti onto a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 3 dozen.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida