SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Help! Solid or prints on upholstered furniture?

tetrazzini
16 years ago

We're about to buy some new upholstered and/or slipcovered furniture for the living room. Picking fabric is really hard!! I'm looking in magazines for ideas and almost ALL have white fabric on the furniture. I like the look, but it's totally impractical for us.

My problem is I have trouble visualizing the big picture. I love large floral prints, faded and vintagey ones. (The house has a comfy, old-fashioned feel to it.) I've seen some that are beautiful -- i.e. they look beautiful as swatches. But I don't know if I'd like them on a large scale like on a sofa. Tho I haven't seen the exact fabrics I like on any actual couches, I haven't really liked the ones I HAVE seen -- the patterns seem kind of silly on such a large scale. I think they might look better on chairs. (I'm not sure tho.)

But I'm afraid solids will be too dull. I know you can add printed fabrics on pillows, but somehow the large stretches of solid color seems to create a more modern look than what I'd like.

I'm kind of rambling. I guess what I'd like is to hear your opinions about the relative virtues of prints and solids. Does one lend itself better to certain styles than the other? And if you have any pictures you'd like to share, I'd love to see them.

Thank you!

Comments (23)