SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Ballard Bench Here Thanks to my GW Friends (PICS)

jan_in_wisconsin
14 years ago

Well, you may remember my previous post about a beautiful, black farm bench from Ballard Designs that I had intended to purchase after the holidays, as it was on sale. Sadly, I waited too long, and it was sold out online and in the catalog.

A sympathetic Garden Webber, corgimum, let me know that the bench was available at a Ballard outlet center in Ohio. She even stopped there to check on the condition and price for me! Still, there were obstacles, as the outlet store does not accept orders over the phone and will not charge the credit card of anyone who is not in person to make the purchase. Plus, the bench was fully assembled and without a shipping box. With over 500 miles of country between me and the bench, things weren't looking good. But . . . where there's a will, there's a way.

I called around to some shipping companies and found one that was willing to pay for the bench, pick it up, pack it and ship it to me. Of course it wasn't cheap, but, the bench was on sale for much less at the outlet than in the catalog, so it ended up costing a moderate price, still less than it had been originally in the catalog, though.

So, two weeks later, it has arrived. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Thanks so much to all of you for the wonderful camaraderie here, and especially to corgimum. Also, thanks to soooomanyboys, who e-mailed me with information about the bench.

The lonely hallway BEFORE the bench:

The hallway facing the kitchen/dining area:

The hallway facing the front door:

Close-Up:

So, what do you think? I plan to hang a 30" x 40" mirror with a black frame vertically above the bench and also a black shelf near the ceiling. Then, I would like to find some creamy colored plates to surround the mirror with and to place on the shelf.

Again, thanks for looking and I hope you like it,

Jan

Comments (75)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for checking in everyone. I love to hear from you all. I'm hoping corgimum and soooomanyboys check in too. I e-mailed them both.

I noticed the Ballard website no longer has this bench in any color. I wonder if they will ever offer it again. I'm SO glad corgimum helped me locate one. I've been wanting it for so long. And I learned my lesson about waiting and procrastinating.

The hallway is 5 1/2 feet wide. The bench is 19" wide by 61" long. I like that it is long and narrow. I made the pillows myself, so don't look too closely! :o)

Jan

• teacats
    14 years ago

Looks just wonderful!! Very very charming!

Time to toast the bench! :) Cheers! :)

And I vote for a few charming artworks above the bench! With all of those lucious colors!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Related Discussions

Pictorial Thanks: Mahalo to my Friends !!!

Q

Comments (17)
    Phillip- It was bought as a plastic pink but when Emerson came by he said it looked much like the original Royal Hawaiian (pink hotel on Waikiki Beach) but that the growth pattern was completely unique and unlike any he had seen. So I call it Royal Hawaiian but it is something slightly different. Bill
    ...See More

A great visit from GW friend

Q

Comments (8)
    After that, we visited one of the greatest Sans collection at Phu Phamorn Garden of Mr Bunlue Lodwan, the president of Thai Sansevieria Club. Brian with the most beautiful variegated Sans. 'Samurai' Enjoyed taking pictures of neat collection. The longest leaf at the middle is variegated Sans stuckyi. One of the hi-end, variegated Sans. downsii Variegated Sans. concinna The most interesting were the hybrids that Mr Bunlue has done for many years. These are a few of them that Bunlue had selected for registering. Bunlue with his new hybrids. Finally, our friend took some nice hybrids back home.
    ...See More

Old GW friends with new names: I'll go first

Q

Comments (25)
    Hi stinky. No, it was not fun at all!, and kept me from wanting to,post at first. That, and all the strange text that occurs on this new contraption. Of course it"s not mug skills!. Oh, and see the "mug" there? That's an example of auto spell,correct ,,which I thought I' d turned off...( as well,as all,the extra commas...sigh). Forgive me for being too,lazy this a.m. To correct. It's nice to still be her, whatever the name. It endlessly reassures me of the innate goodness of people...plus, it's fun!
    ...See More

here is my birdbath made from GW and yard sales finds

Q

Comments (12)
    sorry about that Leveta, but my mailbox is always full..lol not sure why.. I have to go in and delete a bunch of stuff and I have been pretty busy and keep going to do it and I forget.. I have been bidding on a wedding dress that has a lot of pearls and beads on it with the hopes of takeing them off the dress and use them on other things.. there are a ton of them on the dress and so I have to watch the bidding so It does not get away from me.. then I just remembered that I have to help a girl I went to school with , with a vounteers luncheon.. so now I am in a pickle to as when I would be able to pick up the dress. LOl just to much going on in my life..Grandson's birthday, friends birthdays, Derby parties at my neices. Garden needs to have more veggies planted in it.. whew I need a twin.. I did bid on some yard lattice for my daughter to put in her yard and going to pick it up tonight.. my son in law is going to meet me .. Thank God.. not sure if I could have gotten that by myself..LOL she has such a pretty yard and I knew she wanted the lattice and it was on my on line auction but she thought it was too high.. so I went ahead and bought it for her. cause I knew she and her sweet hubby will use it wisely in their yard.. So it has become a busy spring for me.. but I love it. Huggy
    ...See More
  • jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dilly Dally, thanks for your thoughts. I see what you're saying about bad feng shui. In fact, I have no mirrors anywhere in the house but the bathrooms right now, because for the most part, I never know where to put them. I like the texture and look of the tray you posted. Where is that from?

To show you what I had in mind, here is my inspiration from the Ballard catalog (this is shown above an entry bench):

But, I actually like the look of this mirror better:

The mirror would be 30" x 40". So do you think this would be too large and not a good feel?

If you have sources for other items I could use, that would be great.

As I said before, I've learned a lot here, and being open to suggestions has really made all the difference.

Jan

• rjinga
    14 years ago

It looks horrible, just aweful, so out of place, so BALLARDIZED, you need that hideous thing out of your house and there is no time to spare...MY shipping company shall arrive shortly to help you remove it. And just in the nick of time!!! I sure hope you have not shown any of your "Real" friends this eye sore!!! Dont thank me now, You can thank me later ;)

(joke-ster-ism aside) She's a beauty and well worth the effort. Heck If I ever see an item half way across the country, that I'm desparate to have, I"M CALLING YOU...

• soooomanyboys
    14 years ago

OOOOHHHHH Jan!
    That bench is magnificent in your hall~so very well worth waiting for just the perfect one! I'll bet it makes you happy everytime you walk by :-) So glad it worked out for you!

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

It looks wonderful! The pillows look just right and I like the idea of a plate display over the bench.

The mirror in the inspiration photo looks less modern country and more something else - Asian maybe? I think a mirror with rustic black or white painted frame and a white ironstone platter or plate display would be perfect.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I prefer the second mirror you posted, and think it will be wonderful but then I don't feng shui.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

That is the perfect bench for your space and a great GW story to boot. Don't be so modest! I *love* the pillows and I also like the idea of a mirror above, feng shui or not. It's a logical space for it: take a coat from the coat closet put on and have a mirror there for a final check before you leave the house.

I'd like to see a round or oval mirror, though, as I think you already have a lot of angles going on in the vicinity. Love the idea of framing it with plates a la zipdee's transferware and oval picture in her hallway.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rjinga - I'm laughing out loud! You're too funny! I think I'll keep my "ballardized" stuff and decline your shipping offer - ha! ha!

soooomanyboys - Glad you are able to see it. Thanks again, so much!

juddgirl2 - I agree about the mirror style in the inspiration photo. It actually seems to have Asian influences to me. I like the second mirror better, but I'm not committed to it.

cooperbailey - Thanks, I don't exactly feng shui either, although what little I know about the principles seem to make sense in a lot of situations. I like the idea of a mirror (at least that was my first thought) though, but I could easily be persuaded otherwise.

valinsv - Yes, it is a logical place for a mirror, and I don't have any other mirrors hanging anywhere.

What do you all think about this antique ceiling tin mirror on ebay? It is a creamy color and 23" x 23". I think I'd like to still do the black shelf above and the plates surrounding. The bench is 61", so this mirror size wouldn't be too overpowering. Just exploring the options.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay antique ceiling tin mirror

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

What a wonderful story, and what a beautiful bench.

Not to mention the beyond-beautiful house, rooms, and view. I love the barn.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Jan,

I'm so glad you worked out all the shipping issues! It looks perfect in your hallway.

I think a mirror or even a colorful print in a black frame would look great above the bench.

• megsy
    14 years ago

Wow! The decorating gods are singing! It looks awesome, Jan.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

caroleoh - Thanks! The shipping issues were daunting, and I nearly gave up more than once.

megsy - LOL - Thanks!

Here is a picture I'd like to hang in the entry area on another wall:

Here is the wall I'd like to hang it on:

Here it is near the bench, to give you an idea of scale:

So, I wasn't planning on hanging it above the bench, but it could go there too, I suppose. The second mirror I posted previously is actually a distressed black finish with hand-carved golden flowers on it. It's hard to see the detail in the photo. I think it will go well with the bench.

Jan

• corgimum
    14 years ago

I was so glad to get Jan's e-mail that she got the bench. I kept checking the forum to see if she did but was afraid to e-mail her and find out it didn't work out. Jan, it looks great and I'm sure whatever you accessorize with will be perfect. That bench was made for your hallway. I love your pillows, too!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I'm so thrilled for you that you found your bench! WooHoo! And the art looks great with it whether hung above or on another wall.

• natesgram
    14 years ago

You couldn't have picked a better looking bench. If it had solid sides it would have been massive but this looks perfect. I like your latest picture but I like the wall you were planning to put it on and I like the idea of the mirror and plates. Such good GW friends too.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Corgimum! You already know I appreciate your behind-the-scenes efforts. I hope I can do the same sometime for someone else.

Justgotabeme - I think you had followed my previous post about this, if I remember right.

Natesgram - Hi, and thanks for posting. I agree that if the bench were solid, it would be too large for the space visually. I am leaning toward doing as I had intended with the picture on the entry wall and the mirror, shelf and plates above the bench.

I will post pictures again in the future. I'm hoping it all turns out as I'm envisioning.

• eagertopaint
    14 years ago

Love,love the bench and the pillows that you have on it. Your home is very pretty... love the wall colors, and your taste in decorating.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Fantastic! I love it when a plan comes together ;-)

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

That looks incredible, and I love those doors as well. Do you mind if I ask who manufactures them or where you got them? I'm planning on making my formal dining room into an office when we remodel, and I'd love to use those doors.

Thanks.

Jo

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

So glad you were able to get the black bench; it looks perfect in your home!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

eagertopaint - I love your screen name, and thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

bird lover6 - We really like the doors too, and we learned about them when we went on a showcase home tour in one of the models. They are made by Jeld-Wen and are the Santa Fe style. I am posting a link below. Click on the link, then on "Door Designs", and then scroll down to the Santa Fe passage door. We also turned a formal dining room into an office in a previous home, and we really liked it, as it was on the first floor and used so much more than a formal dining room ever would have been used. Good luck with the remodel, and don't forget to post pictures for your GW friends!

Sandra Zone6 - Thank you so much. I know that a Ballard bench may not be a big deal to a lot of people, but trust me, in my area, where home decor stores are few and far between, it's a real treat. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeld-Wen Doors

• caminnc
    14 years ago

Oh it's perfect, it was just meant-to-be yours! I really would love to have one just like it. I always thought it was a very handsome bench. Enjoy!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your bench. The pictures just go to show you...go with your true love...hold out for the best. It looks awesome. I like the last mirror you posted and that artwork in the beautiful matting and frame is gorgeous. Your pillows on the bench are fabulous and the variety is really complementary to the bench. You should send a picture to Ballard when you get the hall done with the story of your bench acquisition.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

caminnc - Yes, after all the hoopla in getting it delivered, I was hoping that I would really like it as much as I thought I would. I'm glad I was persistent.

vampiressrn - Thanks, and maybe I should share the story with Ballard. :o) I don't think I would have been as happy with the other choices I was considering, that's for sure, even though they would have been a whole lot easier to get!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Such enablers here at GW, LOL!It looks fantastic and well worth the hassle I hope! Love the pillows and the artwork for the small wall. I think the idea of a mirror is a good one and the plates will fill out the space beautifully. FWIW, there is a place on the Ballard site where customers send in pics of their homes decorated with Ballard merchandise. The link is below. It would be a fun story!

Here is a link that might be useful: Style Studio

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Back again! A big wall clock is another option. Like this one in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clock

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kmcg85 - Yes, I love the enablers here and have no desire to overcome my addiction - lol! I didn't know about the Ballard Style Studio. I will definitely send in a photo when the wall is done. I love that clock, and I think it's a great option too, especially if I don't use one in the neighboring great room.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

It looks perfect in your space! What a great story (how you eventually got it). I love stories like that!

• always1stepbehind
    14 years ago

I always say--if there's a will, there's a way...That looks great in that spot.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cat mom and always1stepbehind - Yes, it's important not to give up. I even had it mapped out on Map Quest to see how far a drive it would be to Ohio, and boy, was that discouraging! Then, just when the bench was to arrive, I received a call from the shipping company that they couldn't drive down my dead end road due to the weight restrictions - ughhh!!! So my DH had to drive to the county road to meet the shipping truck and transfer the bench into our van. :o) Anyway, thanks to the great folks here and an excellent shipping company, everything came together.

• corgimum
    14 years ago

When I called Jan to give her the news that the bench could not be broken down and put into a samller box (and that they didn't have a box at Ballard that it could be shipped in) I thought she might give up. But, I guess I didn't realize how much she coveted that bench! What shipping company did you end up using, Jan? Ballard gave me the card for gonavis.com but did you use them or someone else?

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

corgimum - I called Pak Mail (in Cincinnati) because gonavis was not available on the weekend, and hey, it was a decorating emergency, right?

Their slogan is that they ship anything anywhere, and I guess they kept their promise for me! :o)

I worked with Craig who was extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend Pak Mail highly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pak Mail

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

Jan, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question about the door manufacturer. I truly appreciate it!

Jo

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

I really admire your persistence, and I LoVe all of your pillows. Seriously, that combination of colors and prints is perfection! You have a lovely, warm style of decorating. That is why the bench looks so perfect, you've made it your own.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jo, you are most welcome. Good luck with your remodel!

Prairiegirlz5 - Thank you. That's what I love about decorating - the process. It was fun to pick out just the right fabrics and make the pillows myself. It all came together, almost like this project had a personality that needed to come out.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan, I'm thrilled that you were able to get that bench! It looks perfect in your space.

Gump's (usually WAY over most budgets) has a nice mirror on sale. I think it would be great with your bench and rugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gump's

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

parma42 - Ooohhh . . . I do like that mirror a lot. You understand my style! :o) It's actually priced at less than the one I was thinking of getting, which is great.

Would it look weird to have a black shelf above it toward the ceiling, as I had originally thought? And could I still add some plates around it?

Love that mirror!

Jan

• trinkette1
    14 years ago

Great story with a happy ending! Of the "over the bench" choices so far, I like the art you already have and the Gumps mirror best.

I love the colors in the art and the way they play off the pillows. There seems to be a great connection between the bench, the pillows and the art and I enjoy looking at them together. I think if you go with this piece, however, you may need some more goodies to hang with it... little still life paintings in black frames? Sconces? Better yet, round shapes... how about plates with black, flowers or fruit, or something in the same palette as the art and pillows? As someone mentioned, there are a lot of hard edges and straight lines in this space. I think a jolt of something(s) soft and/or round would be quite pleasing and an attractive contrast to the squared-off bench, pillows, rugs, floor space, wall corners, stairs, door frames, even the light switches.

For what it is worth, I am concerned that if you place the art that you have on the narrow wall you photographed (or it seems narrow, anyway), there will not be enough visual wall space around the art to make it comfortable for the eye. Ie, the piece might be too large for the space. Perhaps, one, two, or three smaller framed pieces, stacked, would work instead?

As far as the mirror goes, I really like the round shape (yet, with crisp edges too), the burnished gold, and the fact that it adds some sparkle to the hallway. It is a nice crossover piece in terms of style. Very versatile. If you don't care for it above the bench, it could easily be moved to a bedroom, powder room, family room, dining room, or another hallway.

Congratulations on the bench. I can't wait to see what you end up doing to finish your space.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

trinkette - I also love how that picture I have coordinates with the bench, and I agree that since it's small, it would need some sconces or something added around it. The picture is 21 1/2" wide, and the smaller wall I had intended to hang it on is 28 1/2" wide. Is that enough space around the picture?

I keep looking at the Gumps mirror, and I just love how it sparkles. I think it would look less overpowering than something framed in black. It has an antique appeal, which I love, of course. And the size is right. If I use that mirror, would it look best left alone or with other accessories, i.e. plates, shelf, etc. I had my heart set on the plate display with a shelf, but if I go with the Gumps mirror, I'm inclined to think it might look best on its own. I'm liking the Gumps mirror more and more.

Thanks for your input,

Jan

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I like the Gumps mirror too, but not sure about it in a hallway. Since the sides flute outwards, your view of the mirror as you walk down the wall will be of the sides fluting out.

I think the Gumps mirror would look best in a location where it is viewed more head on. Maybe I'm thinking too much....:-(

• parma42
    14 years ago

Jan, I'm glad you like the mirror. :)

After sleeping on it, I'm still inclined to think it would work the best as a solo piece. It brings a touch of subtle glam that breaks up the 100% traditional that's going on presently.

You've done such a good job with the pillows (I love that none of them match) that they make their own little vignette . Adding too much more might diminish what's there now.

The metallic on your picture would carry the mirror's finish to the other side of the hallway. If there's enough room, there, you would be able to add a plate, or two, with your art.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

caroleoh - Great point! I hadn't thought of that. I think I'm going to look around for something I have around the house, like a large tray, or something else shaped like that. I could tack it up to see if that might be an issue in the hallway. Not sure what I can find, though.

Parma - I'm liking the mirror more and more, and I can't stop thinking about it - LOL! I have it bookmarked and open in my browser. I don't know if you read the review on it or not, but a decorator who bought it said it looks even more beautiful in person (and it's stunning already, if you ask me). I thought the exact same thing that you did about it picking up the same metallic effect on the picture. I love how it sparkles and the details of the tiny flowers painted on it. I agree that it will look best as a solo piece, which, as you mentioned, may be the way to go anyway. I measured it out on the wall, and at just over 32", it will be slightly larger than half the width of the bench. It's substantial enough, I think. What do you think about Caroleoh's point about how it would look from a side angle in the hallway?

• trinkette1
    14 years ago

For me (and without seeing the piece or space in person), the artwork would be too large, and not my first pick shape-wise, to place on the wall space across from the bench. Perhaps that's just me though. Try it. See how you like it.

My next thought is, if do use the art on the narrower wall, and you use the mirror above the bench, how would the two pieces relate to one another  especially in terms of which is the focal point of the hallway? Do they work together? I'm thinking that they may be almost too close in scale...?

Perhaps, there is a place for the black and red artwork in the next room... someplace where it still can be seen from the hallway so that it pulls your eye from the bench vignette into the next room.

Regardless, for what it is worth, the dimensionality of the mirror in the hallway doesn't bother me at all. I kind of like it. Again, we all have our personal bugaboos, don't we!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

trinkette - love your thoughts! You have a talent for understanding dimensions, scale and perspective. The picture is 7" narrower than the wall. That leaves 3 1/2" on each side of wall space, if I center it on the wall. I can see that it is relatively large for the wall space. And the picture is about a foot smaller the whole way around than Gump's mirror would be.

I spent some time with my tape measure and Photoshop this afternoon, and I am really liking the Gump's mirror because it has that sparkle. It is less predictable than the black mirror would be, and much less linear too.

The picture could work over the bench if I add something with it.

Sooooo . . . I think I'm going to get the Gump's mirror and try it. If I like it and the picture competes with it, then I will try to find another home for the picture. If I don't like the mirror there, I will put it somewhere else and use the picture over the bench instead.

I'll post pictures when I get it looking decent. :)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Glad you're covering all your bases, Jan. I'm sure that whatever you come up with will look great. All the elements are very nice and you'll be able to find a home for them, somewhere.

I'm just leaving for vacation but wanted to check in and see how you were doing with your decisions. :)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

parma - LOL - I still have the Gump's mirror open on another browser tab. It's one of those pieces that is something special. I think I'll really like it.

Thanks for checking back in, and have a fabulous vacation!

Jan

• trinkette1
    14 years ago

Jan, I am curious to learn how you like the Gump's mirror when/if you receive it. Quite unexpectedly, I've been thinking about the mirror off and on, and I may find a place for one in my own home, LOL!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Trinkette!

I ordered the Gump's mirror, and it was here just two days later. It is very pretty. It came with some confusing hanging hardware, though, so we're working on getting some different hardware (see my other recent thread). I will post pictures when we get it hung. It's a great mirror (very reflective), and it could be used in lot of different places.

Jan

• catkin
    14 years ago

Love the look!
    Feng shui, schmeng shui! Use a mirror! LOL

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!