SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erosenst

Do we have a major problem?

Emily Peltz
17 years ago

Just moved into our custom built new house. In our last house, we had Graham Ceramic paint, which I loved; however, there's no ceramic paint dealer within 200 miles of Indianapolis, so that wasn't an option this time.

I had a couple of conversations with our builder about paint. I had thought we would use eggshell - wipeable, without too much sheen. He strongly advised using flat - in his opinion, the new flat paint is close to as wipeable as the older eggshells, without the flashing and "imperfection showing" problems that can come with eggshell.

The painters generally did a good job (cosmetically) to my eye, and where they didn't has been fixed with no issue/confrontation. We had someone else faux one room, and she's a perfectionist - and commented several times on what a great job the painters had done. (There's NO connection between the GC and painter and our faux artist, so that wasn't a paid advertisement!)

Now that we're in (and even in the week or two before), I think there's either something wrong with the paint, or we definitely shouldn't have used flat. On the darker colors (and we have several) every time something brushes against the wall, there's a chalky (?) mark left. I think part of the reason the word chalky springs to mind is that it almost feels chalky to the touch.

To make it worse, they used flat in the bathrooms, laundry room, and mudroom. Today, a little water splashed on the laundry room wall. When I wiped it off, and then used the slightly damp cloth to lightly rub another spot, paint came off on the rag. Ugh.

Any thoughts/suggestions? TIA,

Emily

Comments (18)