SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_2007

Heating/Air Ducts causing MAJOR dust problem?

jeannie_2007
16 years ago

We live in an older home from the 60's with central heating and air conditioning. The furnace is in the attic and the air ducts are not sheet metal but are of a flexible material covered in a silver foil like material. (In case you couldn't tell..I know nothing about this subject.) We live in GA where it is very humid and use ceiling fans in every room. We rarely leave the windows open. We have replaced the furnace filter regularly. In any case, this home is the most "naturally" EXTREMELY dirty/dusty place I have ever lived in. I thought the previous owners weren't very good housekeepers when I moved in but soon learned that this wasn't the problem. I'm trying to find out what if anything our heating/air system may have to do with this problem. I know it's something about the house itself as we just moved from down the road and have the same dogs, same lifestyle, same floor coverings and even the same housekeeper (me) ..except now we have 10 times the dust and dirt we had before we moved. Basically I have a few questions I was hoping to find an answer to. First..can these flexible ducts be cleaned the same as the metal ones? Second...would the furnace being in a dusty attic be causing this? Would the ceiling fans have anything at all to do with it? Please forgive my ignorance on this subject. After reading some of these posts I realize this may sound a bit silly on this board but I am hoping someone can tell me if possibly my heating/air system might be a major culprit in my dust problem ?? Thanks! Jeannie_2007

Comment (1)