SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Non-traditional Thanksgiving

prairie_love
14 years ago

Anyone else doing something completely non-traditional tomorrow?

Living here in North Dakota, it is unbelievable that our weather is still relatively mild (meaning barely dropping below freezing at night, days in the 40s). We're always reluctant to let go of summer and this year we still have our fire pit out on the patio. We decided (weather permitting) we will sit on our patio with a fire tomorrow evening, enjoying some relaxation time and what might well be our last evening outdoors.

Obviously I can't be slaving away in the kitchen. Not sure I wanted to this year anyway. So we decided to have a thanksgiving meal that gives thanks to our home and our ability to grow and prepare our own food. It will be quite simple. While sitting by the fire we will have bloody mary's made with home-canned tomato/vegetable juice, garnished with home-made pickles and dilly beans. Pita with home-made, frozen baba ganouj (and BTW, all the veggies were grown by us as well). Dinner will be french onion soup (home grown onions of course), home made bread (didn't grow the wheat), and a salad with pears. Dessert will be ice cream with chocolate-raspberry sauce.

I'm looking forward to it.

Comments (13)