SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jancarkner

poodle-lab or poodle-retriever crosses

jancarkner
18 years ago

Does anyone know anything about these crosses? Searching the web gives me breeder links & info, but I wondered if you all have any experience or advice about these. My beloved golden died recently and unexpectedly, and I won't get another dog right away, but I do want to research what would be best. We have an elderly Springer, and our household is quiet (we're both 50ish) with visiting adult sons. I have allergies, so that's why I'm looking into the poodle crosses. Thanks for any help you give!

Comments (48)

• jamas
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would not purchase a mixed breed dog from a "breeder" How dependable is a breeder who plays imaginative "what if?" games with his dogs and expects the public to pay for his experiments? How trustworthy is a breeder who deliberately misleads people about the value of a mutt?
    I've owned mutts - I have 2 now. I have nothing against mixed breeds. However, you can find a wonderful mixed breed dog - even one with hypoallergenic qualities - as close as your local shelter. As long as people continue to support the unethical breeding of designer dogs, backyard breeders and puppy mills will continue to thrive

• GammyT
    18 years ago

Jan they are backyard designer breeders. Why would you pay a breeder for a mutt? Next question, have you ever lived with a poodle? Same with a retriever or any high energy dog... My last dog was a lab, my present dog is a poodle. There is no way in the world anyone who ever lived with both in their home would put them together. Unless there was money to be made.

There are plenty of non allergenic dogs to be found at shelters, don't give money to these idiots and encourage them.

And if you are are worried about allergies, stay away from Labs. They don't just shed, they shed clouds year round.

• Related Discussions

Another just for fun post

Q

Comments (18)
    lol Phil, I got mine at a flea market for 50 cents as a few leaves and now every few years I have to cut it back to 8 feet tall to fit in my house, I have to bring it in, my winters are too cold for it. Some day I'll find the pics of my orchid cactus, another tropical, blooms all winter for me. Janice, I am in total awe of your pics, like WOW, bit time WOW. Now I Know the area your are in, they wouldn't happen to be taking in the Hocking Hills area? I ask because I have told you grew up in Columbus, but did go to the Hocking Hills area many times and those pics remind me of that area. But then again, being where you are, they could also be other areas, you really do live around some wonderful natural beauty. But then so do I, I'm not all that far from Hinckley, that is where the hosta dog and I like to hike the most, such wonderful sandstone formations. Sassy, you do such important work with your crocet, I couldn't imagine having to be a parent knowing their child was going to die and having just a little something to wrap the precious thing in during it's last minutes. Please keep up your work, you may never get a thank you, but you know how much the little things matter in your heart. Mc, looking forward to your pics of the mosaics when you have time. Just got to remember to check the ot post for this post, lol. Von, I have a passion for photography too and like you, always seem to end up being the photographer for events. It is a hobby I would like to pursue more, I don't have a fancy camera, but I think my pics turn out fairly well. We won't even go into the needing glasses bit to do my cross stitch, sore spot there, don't you hate getting old, lol. And Woo Hoo on the first grandbaby. And tick, boring is sitting in front of the tv all day, you have a life so you ARE NOT BORING!!!!!!!! Hostaholic, now sewing is something I have never got into, I can sew, have a sewing machine, just not my thing. But great you do it for the kids, they need all the help they can get in these school productions.
    ...See More

Hello, my intro!

Q

Comments (32)
    No, sorry I had stepped away for a few days as I was unwell, no one "drove" me away! I'll put my input in where and when I can, but I won't bring up anymore breeding's. I know you all want to blame ME for the over-pop in the shelters, but I've truly never seen locally a true *purebred* dog that was up for adoption! We've tried (and had a couple at one time 2 spayed female lab/shepard mix pups) but adoption around here you have to jump tbrough loops and pay fees with no garantee they'll pick you. I have kids, I've gotten a no way they're too young (at the time I had two and mine were 4.5 & 3.5 and we'd be fine w/a puppy but answer always no, over an acre almost 2 of land fenced so they can run while we're our with not good enough(this was a home inspection where we were turned down by shelters when we tried to help an unwanted dog, even a puppy where we'd pay a deposit for spay/neuter if not already altered, rescues of pure-breds are even more strict and basically have to give a pint of blood for a rescued dog (they usually don't get puppies.. generally what we saw we owners who should've been shot on site for what they'd done to these sweet innocent things! I went through very reputable AKC breeders, not puppy mills, or BYB which turn my stomach knowing the conditions in a PM and lack of knowledge w/a BYB. Someone said I do it for the money, honey.. I offer a lifetime guarantee w/my pets sold, and anyone close enough to bring a puppy back to me even middle of the night... should they be very concerned about something going on with the Pup and I'll take it to MY vet's and eat the Bill (I won't pay costs should they go to their own vet however as they had the option to bring it to me!) I raise my dogs & Puppies on good wholesome food, no junk kibble. Icelandic Salmon Oil, Nu-Vet Powder/tabs(treats) for their long term health and add joint plus as they get older as a "just in case!" The nursing/whlping Moms are supplemented with scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, steak, venison, salmon,what ever left-overs we're having that's aren't "bad/unhealthy" (think years ago Dogs LIVED off table scraps and they lived long healthy lives.. longe before"kibble" started! - which is a rarity - most try to feed some of "lesser quality/cheaper brands"/ wevfeed Merrick Whole Goods to the Puppies, and Merrick Before Grain Salmon generallu.. but have switched it up w/ other BG Flavors.. etc and are soothed by music and me (and/or hubby who works a full-time job to pay for things because a GOOD and PROPER Breeder makes little or none, and I've even lost income making sure everything is properly cared for w/ my OWN dog as well as puppies brought to me, but I brought them into this world, carefully and they're MY responsibility and I stand BY it! I offer micro-chipping as a service, but am seriously considering making it part of my program unless someone objects! Then that's their choice! The place I got my Shiba's from was VERY helpful in helping me learn even more (every day I take as a new learning process!) in pampering my own babies as well as making sure THEIR babies also reap the benefits of it all! J (who's glad she came out of lurking mode even if my choices don't make everyone happy.. I've learned I can't make even 1/2 the people.. I am who I am and do what I do. And AM a Pet Owner don't make my animals live outside in Kennels like most kennels do, they're part of our family and are treated as such with hugs, kisses, lovin', and lots of care' 2
    ...See More

2006 most popular dogs in the U.S.

Q

Comments (11)
    Since Munkos posted the top 20 for Canada, here's the 11-20 comparion for the AKC: Chihuahua Bulldog Pug Pomeranian Boston Terrier Cocker Spaniel Rottweiller Maltese German Shorthaired Pointer Shetland Sheepdog The AKC statistics are by individual registration for a given year. Dobesrule is so right about people trying to make a quick buck on popular breeds of dogs. Always research the breed and breeders because like quirkyquercus and debbiep said all dog breeds are not right for everyone.
    ...See More

Old Golden Retriever-no specific diagnosis

Q

Comments (22)
    I have tears running down my face. I'm sorry for your losses. I have no words, so I think this will be a good place to put the Story of Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure most of you have read it, but it's worth repeating. ............................................................ Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Author unknown...
    ...See More
  • kiddogo
    18 years ago

I have two poodle-retriever dogs, a male and female, I was raised with poodles and owned a golden for 14 years. These dogs are the best of both dogs, they do not shed, have wonderful personalities, not high energy at all. My male is more calm than the female, he was just born that way. The female acts like a golden loves to play ball, frisbie, ect, more loveable. The male will play sometimes when the mood strikes him. I love them both !!

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I'm sorry you lost your Golden.

If you have an old dog & a quiet household & allergies, (I can't believe I'm gonna say this, I'm such a "big dog" person), you might check into Bichons or Bichon mixes at rescues or shelters.

They're supposed to be hypoallergenic, & they're the sweetest little things I ever met.

• luvdogs
    18 years ago

Many purebreds are created from a mix of other breeds!! Come on - read your dog breed encyclopedias. It's called selective breeding.

For example, "Today's Maltese is possibly the result of crossing miniature spaniels with the Miniature Poodle" taken from Encyclo. of the Dog. Look at the Clumber Spaniel - Bassett and Mastiff. The AKC has a hold of our minds - what is today a mutt could soon be a so-called "purebred."

vicky

• joepyeweed
    18 years ago

The doodle crosses are becoming popular because of their hypoallergenic tendencies.

The original intent of the lab x poodle was to generate guide dogs for allergy sensitive people. Not sure if there is a big demand for this. Last year, I was doing some research and I checked with two guide dog training facilities in this country and they had yet to have one to train. That was a year ago, so perhaps they have some now.

However, not all crossed doodle dogs are going to exhibit the desirable coat. So if you are adopting a non-desirable coat that is nice and it should be cheap. If you are searching for the hypoallergenic coat then be willing to pay alot for one right now.

I would bet in several years these crosses are going to be less fashionable and there may be lots of doodle cross mixes available at shelters.

I had a husky x poodle when I was growing up. The litter was from an irresponsible owner who was sending the whole litter to be euthanized. We were able to save one. She was a great dog, although she did have the genetic bleeding problem common to poodles and almost died when she was spayed. That litter today probably could have been fairly desirable.

• minibim
    18 years ago

Well theorhetically there is no such thing as a "pure bred". somewhere thru the ages breeds have been started because of positive mutations/selective qualities that "breeders" have wanted to perserve. Once you can show a substantial paper trail, the AKC finally deems your "mutt" a pure bred.

The new trend is they are no longer "pure breds", they are "designer dogs" and they actually command a higher price than the "pure breed". Puggles, Cockapoos, Labradoodles, Schoodles are quite the "in" thing to have.

Personally, I'll just continue to give a home to whatever happens to cross paths with me.

• jancarkner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your replies. It seems that these aren't backyard breeders (their web sites seem professional). And the prices they charge are quite high.

I should have said that while we have a quiet home, we have always given our (two) dogs lots of exercise, and have a country property that we go to on weekends .. 40 acres of doggie heaven (fields, woods, & ponds) to romp in! So I'm leaning toward a larger dog. Also, I don't want a small dog because my neice's shih tzu was taken practically in front of her (while riding her horse) by either a coyote or fisher.

I will consider an older dog, and a rescue or humane society dog, but I'm shocked at how many pit bull & rottweiler mixes are available. I won't go there, because I may have grandchildren sometime, and my circumstances aren't appropriate.

Thanks again for responding. I have read the threads and other web content about grieving our pets, and know that I cannot replace my sweet April. But I cannot imagine a home without the pure joy and comfort of dogs.

• shroppie
    18 years ago

They are backyard breeders if they're breeding mutts and trying to pass them off as the latest and greatest "hybrid". High price isn't an indicator of a quality breeder with ethics and neither is a professional website.
    If you're an experienced dog person with the ability to always be the leader, you might want to check into the livestock guardian breeds. My Anatolian Shepherds, while horrible shedders, have never triggered an allergic reaction and I'm someone who grew up on Benadryl and graduated to Flonase, Allegra, etc. just so I could be around my dogs.
    Again, just a breed for you to consider. Anatolians and other LGD's are extremely loyal and adore children, but they are not a breed for someone looking for the temperament of a Golden. They are hard dogs and can become sharp if not ruled with an iron fist in a kid glove. The always alpha personality needed to manage them is not always easy.

• GammyT
    18 years ago

Jan what is the website?

• jancarkner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

(Having trouble posting this, so I hope it doesn't show up twice) Here is one http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldendoodle.htm and I've shown another below. My allergies are manageable with a good furnace filter,lots of vacuuming, & no carpets. It just seems an intriguing idea to mix poodles with labs or retrievers. My golden was the boss of the litter, which made a bit of a challenge to start, but dog obedience classes were a great help. Although I realize that a bossy golden doesn't hold a candle to alpha personalities in some other breeds. Again, thanks for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Doodles

• emmhip
    18 years ago

As an owner and lover of mutts, I must agree with all the posters who have mentioned the "designer" dog trend. It's ridiculous. Those goldendoodles and labradoodles are up to $1000-$2000! You sound like a responsible dog owner, I encourage you to check out your local shelter and save a life. There are millions of beautiful dogs that could really enjoy your dog-friendly enviorment, and I bet that you could find something hypoallergenic, as I'm sure there are poodle mixes at most shelters and rescues. My shelter dog is one of the best behaved dogs I have ever owned, and I'm sure there are millions just like him out there. Do I know his breed? Do I have AKC papers? No. But I do know that he is a mutt, just like a so-called "labradoodle". No offense to anyone who owns one of these dogs, just my own opinion here.

• measure_twice
    18 years ago

It just seems an intriguing idea to mix poodles with labs or retrievers.

Ant that is all it is, and intriguing idea. The breeders are dealing with crosses, and do not have much control over the disposition or the resulting allergenic possibilities.

It's called selective breeding.
    Keep bringing up more links, and you will get the same replies from people. They are not selectively bred, they are crosses. They are mutts. Their characteristics are not fixed nor dependable. None of the personality, level of energy, nor hair is dependable. It is a shot in the dark with your money.

Please note that a Poodle is *not* hypo-allergenic, but because it does not shed, it generally causes less reactions. The reason why it causes less reactions is not well-understood.

If you really want a dependable less-allergenic dog, get a Poodle or Shi Tsu or other non-shedding breed from a reputable breeder of AKC show dogs who has one or more pet-quality dogs from a recent litter. They will have records of its parents dispositions as well as its genetic health. $1000 will *defintely* get you one of those! (BTW, Poodles rock! They started as working dogs and are strong and robust!)

Although I realize that a bossy golden doesn't hold a candle to alpha personalities in some other breeds.
    Not quite true. You can get a totally alpha berserk Chihuahua. Go to a breeder of show Poodles. Describe what you are looking for. Ask if they have some adult dogs returned or pet-quality coming up. Ask for refrences to other breeders.

Even better, get an adult dog from a shelter. You *know* the disposition, size, health issues, and it is probably housebroken and has some training. Google for Poodle Rescue. Here is a link to start:

Here is a link that might be useful: Poodle Rescue New England

• hazydaze
    18 years ago

Despite them being known as "designer breeds", the best dog both my boyfriend and I have ever come across was a labradoodle. My friend bought him from a pet store and I have since spoken to the breeder. Great personality, loving dog, and hypo-allergenic. My boyfriend has allergies and even with carpeting and a little laziness in vaccuuming, he still wasn't affected by the dog hair.
    Personally, right now in my life, I'm leaning toward rescue dogs for myself, but if I had the money and if my heart didn't ache for dogs sitting in a kennel alone each nite, I would definitely consider purchasing a labradoodle from this breeder (just based on my experience with her pups), and she has pups right now. If you want her info, email me!

Thanks!!
    hazy

• jancarkner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great, I can post again! Couldn't log in since Wednesday (for those of you who still can't log in, use lowercase).
    Emmhip, yes, I will keep checking our local humane society for poodle mixes, but they seem to mostly have pit bull mixes right now. I'm not ready yet anyway.

measuretwice, I don't know much about genetics but expect you're right that the traits of a first generation poodle-lab or poodle-golden can't be predicted, and presumably pups in the same little will turn out differently. Still, both breeds are great, so that wouldn't deter me. And I will look into rescue dogs.

Thanks, Hazy. I'm in Canada so I'll be looking in eastern Ontario for a dog (not sure what crossing-the-border rules are).

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

Hi,

Jan sent me the link to this thread when I came along and asked about these breeds on the forum. So I guess I will just resurrect it long enough to add my 2 cents worth.

I am always happy to see passionate animal lovers and to hear what their experiences and opinions are on any subject. I don't find it helpful to an open and productive discussion when people express their views in such a way that it polarizes people. When an opinion is stated in such a way, that others are not given any room to hold a different opinion, no one wins.

We all want the same thing. Dependable breeders, healthy, happy dogs, responsible owners. All of those goals can be accomplished in more than one way. I don't think it helps the dogs who make up this cross breed, or the people looking for them, to accuse all breeders involved of trying to make a buck and not caring about the animals or the people who will get the animals. Or to assume you know what their motivations are.

Unless you have personal knowledge that any particular breeder is irresponsible in the way he is breeding, not caring for his animals properly, or being dishonest/deceptive to potential buyers, then I don't think it is fair to label them in a derogatory way as 'backyard breeders' simply because you disagree with the crosses they are making. Disagree with the advisablity of the crosses they are making. If you know of a breeder who is acting irresponsible alert people to that. If you are aware of dogs that are coming from these breeders who are having significant health problems or personality problems, then point that out.

All of us have personal opinions that are just our own little quirky way of responding to something. But when you offer your opinions for public consideration, don't you feel you need to examine what your opinions are based on? If you really think something is wrong and want to convince others of that, you have to have some sturdy arguments that make sense and are based on facts if you want them to carry any weight.

I don't have any personal stake in this discussion. I don't own a dog right now, and I don't know any breeders that I feel I have to stick up for, but I would like to look into whether a potentially non allergy producing dog is available for my family without being made to feel there is something wrong with them without reason. If there is some real reason not to have one, I would really like to know that and avoid the dissappointment. So far I haven't heard a legitimate reason not to think about getting one. I was hoping to find someone who owned a labradoodle to find out how they liked the dog and whether there were any health or other problems with them. I was wondering how many of you who feel this cross is a bad idea, have had one of them or known anyone who has?

I apologize if my response is too strong, I just am finding that as I visit forums where I want to ask a question and take part in a discussion, it can sometimes deteriorate into a heated debate. I would like to avoid that. As I am sure many people would.

I value everyone's opinion, that is why I come to these forums. I can't count the number of times I have picked up a golden nugget from someone sharing their thoughts and experiences on forums. People should be comfortable to do that without being told that what they think is wrong or ridiculous. If they don't feel comfortable, they stop sharing or move on to another thread or another forum and everyone loses.

Thanks for listening.. adam

• mrsjulie
    18 years ago

Hi!
    I would not hesitate to recommend this mix to anyone. We have had our Gus for a year and during that time he has not bothered my allergies at all. As a matter of fact none of the goldendoodles that I have met have caused me any discomfort. Oh! and we didn't pay thousands of dollars for him.
    Gus has been so easy to train. He is great with the children and pure joy to have in our home. Plus he is adorable!
    He has a half sister near by that he has play dates with but it isn't often enough, so; we are looking in local shelters, rescues and on petfinder trying to find a "sibling" for Gus.
    Jan try looking at the GoDoodles.org forums. They have loads of information on these loveable mutts written by people who own them. Enjoy!

• kim_okla
    18 years ago

I would just go with a standard poodle if you can handle the grooming bill. They are the #2 smart dog after the Border Collie.

• jamas
    18 years ago

Now anyone can have the latest and greatest cross-breed

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/oodlemaker/

• pkguy
    18 years ago

Adam, I think what gnaws at some people, myself included, isn't the fact that these dogs are crosses, it's soley the fact that some of these breeders and the pet stores they sell them to are passing them off as a breed of dog, not overtly saying they're purebreed but from omission.They aren't a breed of dog but crosses. Thing is most people don't understand the difference. A purebred dog bred to a purebred dog will always produce offspring of the same genetic mix. Take a Labradoodle and mate it to another Labradoodle and you don't have a Labradoodle, you don't know what you have, probably a nice dog though but it's genetic makeup will not be the same as either parent.
    Someone could eventually come up with a true bred Labradoodle thru selective back breeding just as all other pure breds came into existance.

• jancarkner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

adam, good post. I agree.
    jamas, that is funny!
    kim, I am considering that too.

mrsjulie, thanks for the link - there is lots of info on that site! It also has a listing for approved breeders and there are quite a few in Ontario. The godoodle site is doing a good job providing information, and the breeders do seem to be caring and careful. The only one I saw with a price showed $1700 for a puppy, and others advised of waiting lists. The 3 dogs I have had were $0, $250, & $300 (years ago, and not from full-time breeding establishments) so I'm shocked by prices. We'll be away for several weeks, so I won't be seriously looking till March/April, and I'm still not sure how we'll proceed (rescue, breeder..). I just read Stanley Coren's "Why we love the dogs we do (How to find the dog that matches your personality)". Great book!

pkguy, the breeders generally are doing 1st generation crosses, which means two things to me: hybrid vigor & a varied result. Although there is some Australian version where they're doing what you say... selective back breeding. The godoodle site discusses the various genetic permutations...
    "Poodle x Retriever =Doodle=F1
    Doodle x Poodle=Backcross Doodle=F1B
    Doodle x Doodle=Doodle=F2
    Multigenerational doodles are those that have been bred through successive generations of doodles and backcross doodles to what is close to a "pure" breed."

I looked through Petfinder for rescue doodles, and wow! there sure are differences in the size, coat, & personality!

• mazer415
    18 years ago

Yup, Labradoodles. The local Guide Dogs for the blind is also using mixed breed dogs especially Golden Labs - mix between Golden retrievers and labs. They surmised the health problems would be reduced, and I guess they are seeing fewer problems with the mixes. Labs are notorious for getting seizures and the cancer rate is high among goldens. I think if they did not like the results they would not keep using them, and so far I think this is their 5th year. I think you should pick whatever pup pulls at your heart the hardest, whether that be a mixed breed, pure breed or pound puppy. I have had pure bred Australian Shepherds which never gave me one minute of grief and have had pound puppies I picked up at 3 months who ended up costing me thousands. I think it is a crap shoot now a days and if you are up in the air about it, you might try fostering...You can gie back the ones who are too much for you and keep the one which has you wrapped around its little paw...sorry you lost your pup, hope you find a great one and you will share your choice with us.

• mazer415
    18 years ago

Friday I met my first pair of Labradoodles, nice looking dogs, the baby was very soft and fuzzy, much like a poodle pup. The older one had the hair of a poodle, very curly and was a good size, a bit smaller than a lab. The muzzle was blockier, which I find more appealing than the long thin snouts of a poodle, but then that is personal preference. Both dogs were well behaved and curious.

• lauren17
    18 years ago

Adam, great post. I come to these forums to gather information in order to make informed decisions. It's a real turn-off when some posts get judgemental or downright nasty.

The best dog I ever had growing up was Snoopy - a Heinz 57 from the pound who seemed forever grateful that we gave her a good home. She was my best friend for 12 years. No health problems either.

That being said, when I wanted to get a dog for my children, I did tons of research and decided to get a labradoodle because I wanted a large dog who did not shed. (My husband vetoed a standard poodle, which was my first choice). Because it is becoming a popular pet, many irresponsible people who are just looking to make some money are breeding poodle-crosses without knowing anything about breeding practices. A potential buyer needs to do their homework and find a reputable breeder. A high price is not an indicator of a well-bred dog.

We've had our labradoodle for 18 months now and he is just wonderful. We made the right choice for our active family. It turns out that he does shed a bit, but not that much. He is a calm dog (not so for the first year as most pups) and loves his people - he is always in the same room as us. He is friendly with strangers but makes a great watchdog, letting us know whenever a squirrel is in the backyard. He loves to swim too. Maybe these are traits of the poodle-lab, or just his unique personality.

Your 40 acres sound like doggy heaven to any canine. Good luck in finding a new friend.

• annzgw
    18 years ago

Just a bit of info I found interesting:

I just met a guy who runs a doggie day care and he has been in the 'dog business' for many years. He said he sees lots of the doodles in his business and, according to him, the first ones introduced from Australia were a much smaller size ( in the 35-45 lb range)..........much smaller than what we're seeing now.
    It seems that breeders are now using the larger poodle with the lab crosses.

BTW, he said they're great dogs!

• Marcia Thornley
    18 years ago

If you want to talk to someone who owns one of these mixes go to this site. I warn you though these people love their dogs! I have a Poodle X cocker Spanial, and my brother a Poodle X Terrier. Both are great dogs. Smart like Poodles but also share traits from the X. No shedding! There are a few Golden Doodles around my neighbourhood and all are good dogs. Some are much curlier than the others. All but one are golden in colour, one is black.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doodle Discussion Forum

• stretchad
    18 years ago

Saw this thread and had to chime in...
    My mom owns four doodles - two goldendoodles and two weimardoodles. I am the owner of two golden retrievers. Personally I will always be a huge fan of the golden retriever. Its the first breed of dog I've ever owned. However, my mom gives my goldens credit because they are the ones that inspired her to get her first doodle. She became completely obsessive when finding a breed that fit her and my stepdad's personalities and lifestyles. The doodles are a great fit for them. Personally, I love them too and if I ever picked a different "breed" of dog, I'd pick a doodle. They have a wonderful personality, a great look, and are incredibly smart. (Please note that not ALL doodles are hypoallergenic and there is no way for a breeder to guarantee that).
    My mom started with one doodle, and progressed to three within 1 year. All three of those dogs are trained in search and rescue and one even does therapy work. Then as she became more and more involved in doodle work by publishing an informative site she quickly became known throughout the doodle world. She eventually started coordinated rescues of doodles who had to be surrendered from their homes. Most of the time a doodle would be placed in a home and the owner expected them to be hypoallergenic and it didn't turn out that was true. Recently she came across a weimardoodle that for some reason needed a new home. She fell in love with it and kept it.
    If you are interested in a doodle, PLEASE be careful with your breeder selection. Yes, there are backyard breeders out there, and yes you'll see them in petshops, but more than likely they came from a backyard breeder. Also, please be aware that not all of them are hypoallergenic.

You should visit my mom's website. It's very informative, even if you're NOT getting a doodle. She's very willing to help you find a doodle - perhaps even a rescue. She spends hours every day talking to people about doodles.

PS - She coordinates "Doodle Romps" a few times a year which me and my "half-doodles" attend :-) MANY doodles come to this little get together and it's a good place to see all the different kinds of doodles out there. It's a good place for prospective owners to visit...

Here is a link that might be useful: International Doodle Owner's Group Website - Good site for prospective owners of doodles and other breeds

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

I am bumping this back up as we just got two mini labradoodles in Sept. after losing our beloved Chesley, a Brittany, at the age of 14. Our hearts were broken but they now are healed with the love from our two doodles. If you are still looking and want a positive experience from someone who went through similiar event - you can count me in.

Ours are brother and sister. They are very affectionate, attentive to each other AND TO US. They love people and win the hearts of all who see them. I'd say go for it! I have allergies, although I have not had problems with dogs before I discovered I was allergic to a friend's Austrailian Shepard. That was one of the reasons we leaned towards a doodle. One of ours does shed a little but I haven't had a problem with his fur and believe me my face is right there in it all day long!

Check out www.flickr.com/photos/hallamboston for pictures if you would like to see them.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    17 years ago

Our two younger dogs are both half poodle and the other half is also poodle. We like to think of them as poodle-doodles.

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

jxbrown - LOL. One of our dogs is half standard poodle and the other half standard poodle, multiple generations. He loves it when I call him A Very Poodly Poodle, gives me that very interested, cocked-head look. He's the greatest dog in the world.

Don't we all just love our dogs.

• mazer415
    17 years ago

The FIRST people to start these breeds was the Guide Dogs for the Blind, they did it because too many of their pure bred dogs were having trouble, cancer, epilpsy, and hip displaysia. They needed new blood put into the breeds to keep them healthier. Guide doogs for the blind here in Northern California uses these mixed breeds with great success. It is good to see someone finally using their heads and not just being stuck on a type of breed with regard to service dogs.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I am nuts or did I see labradoodles at Westminster? I may be thinking of another show, but I know I have seen this dog shown. Anyone know the answer?

Also, most breeds of dog come from a mixture of other dogs. I have labs and they I think came from newfoundland crossed with english hounds??? No matter to me, my breeder is careful about breeding, only breeds black and yellow and can do that because she is careful with the DNA and only sells her puppies with limited registration.

I think the labradoodles are adorable. I haven't seen a goldendoodle but I keep hearing how cute they are as well.

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

Wow, just reading this thread has been an education. We will be getting another dog within the next year and although I would NEVER consider any type of pure bred dog, you guys have really sold me on "doodles".

I have had many dogs in my life and only one was a pure-bred. It was a Beagle and we spent more money on that dog in the two years we had it than we did on a family of 6. The vet I had at the time was very against pure-bred dogs because of all of the medical problems they tend to have. This Beagle came from a shelter (and I sure do know why it was there.)

All of our other dogs were mixed shelter dogs and care free, intelligent enough to be trained very quickly and other than yearly shots and spay/neuter, no medical problems. Our current dog is a mutt and is now almost 15 years old. She recently lost her hearing and we just corrected a "leaking" problem. These are age related things, not "breed specific". I would buy a "doodle" from a back yard breeder as long as I could see the mom and dad.

Probably though, we would go back to a shelter.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, usually hang out with the kitchen remodelers. But I had to chime in on this one. One of the reasons the "doodles" and "designer dogs" are so popular, at least in my opinion, is NOT because they are a fad. I think most serious pet owners really research the type of dog they want. The reason doodles are so popular is because they are ABSOLUTLELY OUTSTANDING DOGS!!! Our 18 month old goldendoodle, Sage, is the best dog we've ever owned. We had a rottweiler/lab mix and he was terriffic, but we got him when he was old and he was never playful and he SHED LIKE CRAZY!!! We really wanted a dog that didn't shed much. yes, our goldendoodle does shed but NOTHING like our rotty/lab. Sage is so smart, he's not hyper and never really was, I think he's much cuter than a standard poodle with his somewhat broader muzzle and funny kinky hair. The hair is difficult to maintain and he mats easily. If we go away for a few days and leave him with a neighbor or at a kennel then he is very matted when we get back. We've had to have him shaved twice. But even shaved he's beautiful. I love all dogs and don't believe there's a bad breed out there. But I also believe there's a breed or mutt for everyone. We had specific qualities in mind and researched for months and months before we decided on a goldendoodle. And THEN we researched breeders all over the country and drove 8 hours to get our dood. But all that effort paid off and we have the smartest, sweetest, goofiest, most loyal, loving, gorgeous, great with the kids, family dog ever. I expect poodle crosses to never be a passing fad (I grew up with a lhasa-poo and a cockapoo). They're just finding more breeds to cross them with because poodles are such outstanding dogs. A lot of people just aren't thrilled with their looks! Who wouldn't love him?!...

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Then you'd probably agree that most doodle dealers neglect to mention all the grooming that is required and the shedding.
    A dog is only "outstanding" if carefully bred for health and temperment and homed with someone who will sculp the dog into an outstanding dog. And while most people may research breeds to some extent, doodle breeders (or dealers as I sometimes refer to them) are less than forthcoming about the needs of their dogs, mentioning only positive traits, emphasizing cuteness and color selections.

Cute dog though! Looks like one I looked at adopting.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

rmlanza, your dog is super cute, just like your son.
    There are a few of these dogs in my Dog Training School, and they are so cute. One of the owners in our school said that he was lucky to get a blond one - twice. He said that most are black, but his are the color of yours. They are very cute.

QQ, they say that the dogs don't shed that much, not nearly as much as a Golden Retriever. I cannot imagine a breeder mentioning grooming. It is obvious that the dogs need to be brushed. I think there are far more important things to talk about than the fact that a dog with a lot of fur needs to have the fur cared for.

Sammy

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Thanks Sammy. It also depends on the hair type of your particular goldendoodle. Some of them have hair much more like a retriever. Sage is curlier and wiry. I had hoped I wouldn't need to do a lot for his coat but I do and that's okay. We try to have him buzzed twice a year or so.

Sage was the best in his class in obedience training. He is a first generation. There was a second generation labradoodle in his class that looked just like him but she was about half his size. However, they are the only two doodles I've ever seen. I know a lot of people who are interested in them but don't know anyone who has one. And we certainly did not pay thousands of dollars for him.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

With the breed that I have, many breeders will not even consider you unless you have experience with long haired dogs.
    The reason is because people don't know what they are getting into. The dogs sell themselves they are shaggy and cute. Just wait till the dog blows his puppy coat or gets a turd stuck in the hair then you will begin to understand the responsibility that goes with having a long coat. Having to shave down a matted dog is the result of an owner's failure to do the necessary grooming which is daily.
    When people don't groom daily the dog gets matted. They didn't want a dog with a puppy coat or shaved down coat they wanted a shaggy dog like they saw on Dixie's Doodle Ranch website. Couples with that and the never-ending energy and all the other stuff that goes with the doodle and there are a lot of reasons people could have for turning them into animal shelters or just leaving them on the side of a country road. It was more than they bargained for. Mats are also very painful for the dogs. It is not just about looks

So sammy now you see why it is imperative that breeders pound it into buyers heads all of the responsibilities that go with those dogs.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

Our dogs have very long hair, and we don't necessarily brush them everyday, but they don't get mats. Our dark golden got them all the time, but these two don't.

I have no problem with breeders drumming things into potential buyers, but some of us simply don't care about the fur being beautiful all the time. Frankly the turds seem to come out without brushing. Our problem is their grabbing each other's ears, and gumming them. That is when they would get mats right into the back of the ear. Sometimes those would take 15 minutes to take out hair by hair.

I just think that if a person would buy a dog with a lot of hair it would be obvious that it needed to be brushed. I think the breeder should be more interested in someone being there to care for the dogs, and play with them. Also he/she should be interested in family dynamics like an elderly person who would trip over a puppy, etc.

Sammy

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Our two Mini-labradoodles (2nd generation)have different types of hair from each other. Our female, Andi has wiry hair on her back but her legs, head are soft and wavy/curly. She doesn't shed hair on our clothes or furniture but when you comb her, especially on her thick back fur, you will get it in the comb.

Amos, our black male, has more poodle like hair, soft, its wavy to thick curls. We cut his hair about every other week to keep the mats down, which was a real problem when he was swimming this summer. Now it is not such a problem and we let him go a little longer. I do find little curls like on the carpet where he scratches them out, mostly from around his neck or ears. Either that or his sister pulls them out playing!

Our breeder did not promise that they wouldn't shed at all, but that there would be less than other breeds like our Brittany. We certainly have less shedding than with either our Brittany or our Cockapoo. Hers was more like fuzz when she shed. He did tell us that they would need combing and that daily would be the best route to go. Luckily, they both love to be combed and its part of our nightly routine while we are on the floor with them.

I agree (QQ know this) that they are very sweet, lovable, and smart.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yes that is important too.
    Part of being a responsible pet buyer is finding a breed that matches your lifestyle and part of being a responsible breeder is making sure the buyer and the breed match in terms of personality of the individual dog and also the breed in general. Thats why you find so many of those poodle mixes up for adoption. People didn't know what they were getting into and nobody bothered to screen buyers and follow up with them.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

MBoston, you and I posted simultaneously last night and didn't see your reply until now. And so please understand I am not being critical of the dogs themselves, only the irresponsible breeders touting these as dogs that are perfect for everyone. Because they're not perfect for everyone or every lifestyle.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

Oh, qq - I know what you mean about turds stuck in hair!
    Been there, done that...

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, QQ but maybe that is true of breeders in general. After all they have a product to sell,albeit a dog, and will tout its pros and ignore or downplay its cons.

• mooner
    16 years ago

We lost our yellow lab of 10 years. I love the breed, but really could not handle the shedding part again. We purchased a 7 month old labradoodle that someone had returned and the breeder said no one wanted a dog of that age and he would gladly let her go for $100 to a good home, so we feel we rescued her. I agree, mutts at the price they want for them. But as long as we pay it, they will continue to breed them. Back on subject, she is wonderful and one of the best dogs we have ever had for many reasons. Temperment is wonderful.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

mboston, can you find and post the link to even just one single solitary doodle breeder website that posts a lists of pros and cons with the breed, specifically their rambunctious, boisterous nature and the need for lots of exercise? And that lists the health problems with the breed and the testing that was done? That also comes clean about about the shedding? That discusses grooming and says how much combing and or clipping is needed and how often?

Can you find any such breeder with the doodle dogs?

I'll agree the same can be said for other breeds but usually hobby breeders are more protective of their breed and want to produce a quality pup. Realize that it will actually cost them money to breed pups, not make a profit from it, and they will be very selective about who takes home one of their pups. Maybe it's because I'm comparing mostly to other relatively uncommon breeds but I don't see that kind of pride and protection for the doodle puppies. It's more of a come one, come all approach. Or the puppy mill approach as some might call it.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Well qq, I'll do it for mboston...this breeder in SC goes into detail about how a bored doodle can get into trouble. They also give expectations for different types of coats and do not guarantee what their puppy's coats will be like. But I'm sure you'll find SOMETHING negative to say about them. I will admit their prices are unreasonable and I would never pay that much for a dog, mixed breed or otherwise. But that's not what you asked for.

Also, I searched through several doodle sites and found that many explain grooming and exercise and those that didn't provided links to the goldendoodle/labradoodle information site.
    http://www.goldendoodles.com/home.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Corinth Doodles

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Nope, I'm not going to say anything negative about them. It looks like a responsible breeder's website. They talk about the needs of the dogs and also show the results of health tests on the parents. It doesn't promise the cutest puppy that is perfect for everyone in a coat color that will match your pocketbook. I don't even think it used the term "designer" in the entire site. That is exactly what I asked for and you found it.

By the way I also don't think the prices are unreasonable either. I think that is about what it costs. There are doodles out there selling for $2400 & up. (Google: goldendoodles $2400) That is unreasonable!

I have not seen any doodle breeder websites before that are like this one. I have seen a number of them however that I described earlier. I can only hope that buyers have started to become more aware of how to choose a breeder and a puppy.
    Rather than posting specific sites to show you what I mean, look up goldendoodles in your classified ads, see if any ads show a website address.