SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Nursery - It's finally time to decorate.

User
12 years ago

DH and I are having out first child, a boy, due in June. We're very excited.

I need some help sorting ideas. For those that remember the furniture arrangement thread, we (I) decided to switch rooms mainly because of the carpet color. It's currently a mess because I'm still in the cleaning out process.

We bought the rocker second hand. This is the crib I'm ordering in espresso. Many of the reviews say it's not a true espresso though but more a dark cherry with red and brown.

{{gwi:1618814}}

I purchased this fabric today. The small check is red, navy, ivory, and an olive tan color. I'd like to somehow bring out the olive/tan more somehow in the room.

{{gwi:1618815}}

{{gwi:1618816}}

{{gwi:1618817}}

There was only a yard of the larger check fabric but I could either use it in here or somewhere else in the house. It's navy, red, and yellow/gold.

The carpet is hard to photograph. It's a slate gray but somewhat chameleon like. At times I swear it even can take on a green tint depending on what you add. - I had to add the moose and beaver in there. The beaver is the coolest of cool with his leather feet. :)

*My biggest question right now is the bedding.*

I have a little over 8 yards of the red check fabric. I was going to have a few crib sheets made (I'd also purchase solid ones for extra backups) and buy a navy box pleat crib skirt (21"). Possibly trim out the crib skirt with a red band or the check fabric at the bottom. I'd use the left over fabric for room accents.

Now I'm tossing around the opposite idea of making a crib skirt out of the red check and using stock navy sheets. A concern, the check fabric is only 41" wide and if I were to use it for sheets, I know it's going to shrink a little even if I only put the dryer on low. I'm guessing the lady making the sheets will have to piece fabric together.

I'd be the one making the check crib skirt, YoungHouseLove style, just the sides, hanging straight, and using velcro to attach to the inside of the frame. I'd have to piece the long section together. The crib will be flat against the wall so I wouldn't even bother to do the back section. Would it be best to piece it together in three pieces on the front?

http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/08/skirting-the-issue/

I'll be using a breathable bumper but I don't like how they look so I don't believe I'll even put it on until I need to. Due to the limited colors, I'd probably order it in the ivory. That or dark brown are pretty much my color options there! Maybe trim out the shiny satin edges that I dislike with different fabric. - by that point though, I may not even bother.

I'm going for a woodland/forest type look and I DON'T want it to read Americana. Again, I'd like to add that olive tan or even just more tan and brown to the room.

Other ideas I'm tossing around:

-light walls (leaning towards BM Linen White. I think I'd like something a 'tiny' bit darker though.)

-bookcase - I'd add beadboard backing and paint it

-a fluffy faux dk brown pelt rug - 3x5ish

-curtains and woven romans

-need to buy a dresser - darker stain or paint with maybe a dark glaze

-I'll be making an animal mobil and all the art.

So check sheets and solid skirt or solid sheets and check skirt? Open to other ideas except ditching the check fabric I just bought. Thanks!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals