SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayokie

Tornado/Storm safety

jayokie
12 years ago

The link on GW re: Go Bags didn't work very well for me, so I'm posting a few thoughts/suggestions.

Some background: I'm in "tornado alley", but lately, that could be the whole country! For our Neighborhood Watch meeting this month, I asked for a speaker from the County Emergency management office to speak. Some WONDERFUL information.

We've all read, I'm sure, about having emergency bags packed (water, meds, foods, etc). I had read - somewhere, in the past - about having a whistle. Some of you may remember when Pitcher, a small mining town in extreme NE OK, was literally blown away 3-4 yrs ago. Mr. K related that one lady, in her emergency backpack, had not only a whistle but a rubber mallet. When she couldn't get out of the debris, she blew the whistle and knocked steadily with the hammer!!!! THAT was what lead searchers to her!!! I would never have thot of the hammer/mallet, but it makes complete sense. Mr. K said that even with wind & other noise around, researchers will hear the knock-knock-knock of the hammer.

A poster on another forum I frequent added these thoughts: "On our military post their motto is "Get a Kit, Make a Plan". They have kits that you can purchase but i've also seen kits put together in a large plastic tote to keep in your tornado room. They include things like flashlights, batteries, hand crank radio, water, crackers, peanut butter, non-perishable snack items, meds, blankets, extra set of clothes for each person, shoes for each person, a utility tool like a swiss army knife, battery operated weather radio, etc."

I'd add a suggestion that we remember plenty of diapers, etc for the littl'uns, wipes for all us (at least we could wash our faces); remember to check dates on the food & meds & rotate them.

I had to share this tip. IMO, the recommended 1 gal of water per person/pet for 72 hrs isn't enough, but it sure would be better than nothing. Please add any tips you may have.

Comments (6)