glenda_al

Printer ink cartridges ????

glenda_al
15 years ago

Mine is out of ink. Printer is new.

Where do you buy yours?

Or do you refill yours?

Where if you do?

And do you have BOTH the black ink and colored?

Thanks

Comments (34)

• grammahony
    15 years ago

I take my empty ones to Staples, and get $3.00 off the new one I buy there. Yes, I have both colored and black.
    Leslie

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are they pricey?

• Related Discussions

Where to recycle printer ink cartridges in the south Bay Area?

Q

Comments (8)
    sjerin: Out of curiosity, why exactly don't you want cartridges going to third-world countries? I tried googling, but the only thing I found was to make sure that you recycle cartridges so that they don't get dumped in third-world countries as technological waste. If your cartridges do find their way over there, it sounds as if they would help provide work and income for otherwise struggling people. Nevertheless, you might want to look into your local freecycle chapter. Someone might be interested in buying your used cartridges for refilling. Long shot, but worth a try.
    ...See More

Printer HP Deskjet 940c, color ink issue, can u help?

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, it wasn't necessarily the cartridge. After many repeated paper jams, the thing died. STINKERS, I'm only half way thru the job. Now I have to pay to get the rest printed somewhere and then buy a new printer. DH ran out and luckily got the the ink store right before they were locking the door! So a new ink, no printer. What luck :( Thank goodness we have a little independant print shop right around the corner. I can run over tomorrow AM and print it out myself. Still, the entire venture has eaten all the profits of the job. GGG
    ...See More

Does anyone have experience with inkmyjets.com?

Q

Comments (3)
    have you tried the ones at walgreens? They have them for very good prices and carry most of the name brand types. I have used their brand for my HP printer in the black and was quite happy with it. printer ink cartridge refills and you can find a walgreens everywhere these days. I tried the refill kit once and was not pleased with the result. I now only use the real HP or the walgreens
    ...See More

Empty ink cartridges for paper

Q

Comments (4)
    Just discovered a new wrinkle, too. If you buy something at Office Max and the cashier doesn't ask you if you need ink or paper today, you get a free pack of paper. There is a little sign right on the counter. Luckily my cashier was a young thing who was only interested in gabbing with a cute co-worker, and couldn't have cared less whether I needed ink or paper. :) Got my freebie!
    ...See More
  • ann_in_florida
    15 years ago

I tried having the cartridges filled at Walgreens and was very dissatisfied with both the black and color inks. I suppose I could live with the black ink but the colors in the other were just very dull and off for me. I love printing pics and could never have used that ink for pics. I like to get my ink at Staples. If you take any empty cartridges back to them, they give you a $3 off coupon. I use the $3 coupons for new ink.

• bigack
    15 years ago

I use HP no 57 and 58. I got some once on Ebay, and they were new still in pkg. Much cheaper than in the store, but you have to make sure they're advertised as New in pkg.

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

Glenda, some brands are more expensive than others. I get mine at NewEgg.com for my Canon printer in MN, and for my HP printer in FL, HP themselves are cheaper.
    JoanMN/FL

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I have a Dell printer and the cartridges were quite pricey to get them from Dell. I did an online search with the make and model of my printer and it brought up a variety of places that sold compatible cartridges. I got both the black and the colored for just $19 and that included shipping. I then drilled a tiny hole in my old (empty) black cartridge and refilled it using a big needle syringe and black ink I had bought at a different time.
    I then just put a piece of scotch tape over the hole. I'll probably just continue to refill the black one so long as I can.

btw...you might also find a cheap battery for your old camera by searching by the make and model of the camera, as opposed to the actual battery number.

I got a new cell phone battery for just $1 plus shipping by searching via the make and model.

Sue

• sue_va
    15 years ago

I tried to refill one; it was a disaster! Other people have done well with it though.

I'm curious about the Staples $3 deal.

For instance, I have a HP printer. It uses a #21 black cartridge. (Color cartridge is separate.) I just bought one at KMart last week. It was $14.95.

Does anyone know what the price would be at Staples? If it is the same or lower, the $3 coupon would be a good deal.

TIA

Sue

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

When I had my ink-hog Epson, I got my cartidges from Amazon. Since they were over $25, shipping was free, and they were much cheaper than what I paid locally.

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

Sue, I usually get my HP #21 cartridges from Staples. They are $14.99. I always turn in the old cartridges to get the $3 coupon. I get weekly e-mails from Staples, so I always know if they are having a special or coupon offer. If you order $50 or more from Staples, you get free delivery.

From time to time, HP.com will have specials on ink cartridges. Last week, I got a 4 GB flash drive free for buying two twin-packs of cartridges. Plus, there was an online coupon for $10.00 off, and free shipping. So, for $52, I got three black cartridges, one color cartridge, and the flash drive. You can't beat that price.

Glenda, I would never try to refill cartridges. It's not worth messing up the printer or voiding the warranty.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

If you use alot of ink..Costco has prett fair prices on cartridges.. I buy at Walmart.

• justlinda
    15 years ago

I refill ours....way much cheaper!!! It's also clean and easy if you know how.

But, that being said, quite a few of the printer makers are now making the cartridges so that they are NOT refillable. Kodak is one, and there may be others. We have a Canon MP530, and they are refillable.

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

By the way, Glenda, my first good printer, a Canon, used six ink cartridges at once. I decided they were two expensive and bought non-Canon brand. Three days later, the printer was shot.
    My Canon printer that I have now has 8 ink cartridges and I ONLY use Canon ink. It's about $100.00 a year for the ink, but it prints photos beautifully and I make all my own greeting cards, so I think it's worth it.

• User
    15 years ago

I buy mine from walmart or ebay. I just started Maxperks at office max, they give you credits for you emptys. My black ink is abou $15 at walmart, cheaper at ebay color is a bit more.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I used to refill my Lexmark all the time. Was great. Super cheap. Depends though on how much ink you really go through. If it's not much, I wouldn't refill, but would consider generic carts. I bought some off ebay for about $1 a cart so it wasn't worth refilling.

BTW, all cartridges can be refilled at least a few times. They might *say* they can't be refilled, but of course they will to get you to buy a new cartridge! My Lexmark carts were supposed not refillable and I refilled some 10 times or more.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll!

Now if I can find the cartridge to take it out.
    I lifted the lid where it was supposed to be, I think, but don't see it.

Maybe there's an ink cartridge thief in my abode.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Glenda, do you have it turned on when you lift the top? Mine has to be ON before the cartridges can be removed.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Sometimes there's a procedure via software, lifting the lid with power on or whatever to bring the printhead to the central position. There's usually instructions inside the lid, sometimes a sticker or sometimes even embossed into the plastic.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, how about that!

Thanks kayjones!

Turned the power on and there it was !

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I do Walgreen's and am very happy with it...

This is the second time they weren't very happy about how the ink loaded and didn't charge me...

The last time the ink worked fine...and it was free

Yesterday I got two color ink cartridges fill and he wasn't happy with them...FREE...and they work fine...(that was $30.00 worth.
    This is the third time I've had the same cartridge filled and it has worked great.

patti

• okwriter
    15 years ago

I have an HP all-in-one and I also buy mine from Staples. It's the Vivera ink.
    I use the HP brand---one bad experience (on another printer) with an "off brand" was enough for me...
    Like Leslie said, you can return your empty cartridges for a $3/each Staples credit. It makes them very affordable.

Also, each time I print, I set my printer to use the black cartridge only. I very rarely have to buy colored ink.

One more thing...don't be fooled into buying those "photo packs" of ink. They aren't as full as if you just buy the cartridge that you need. (The guys at Staples actually told me that!)

Hope that helps!

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Not sure how true this is, but my Staples guy said that I should print in colour every so often, or else the felt inside the cartridges dry up and don't print properly.

But I wouldn't know, as I print quite a bit in colour, but if it's just writing I'm printing, I set my printer properties to "Greyscale". Quick and easy to check off the box.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    15 years ago

We were told when you buy a new printer, the cartridges they put in them don't have much ink, so you have to buy a new ink cartridge sooner. I think it was someone that worked at Best Buy. Anyway, I do not like the Walgreen's refill, I got a color refill and the color was not nearly as good. I thought well I will at least try the black. It would not work at all and of course they would not do anything about it. I do have an HP all in one that I like, but right now I have a new Canon, haven't tried getting new cartridges yet for it. I plan on putting one or the other printers in my kitchen area when I get another computer hooked up down there. I too was told you should print something each week to keep the cartridges from drying out.

Sue

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

If you have a new printer I would not fill the cartridges, the warranty will be voided. My friend had a cartridge leak and ruined her printer.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Try "All Ink.com". My sister told me about them a looong time ago, and I just checked. The HP photo all-in-one cartidges are much cheaper than anything I've seen.

Glad you posted. I'm totally out - even after using greyscale for a while. Even though I have some black ink left, the yellow is out and it won't print. I guess I'll order while it's on my mind.

I only glanced the details but you may be able to get OVN service.

Also - when I click on my HP Printer Icon, I can get to a page that tells me the ink-level status. It's in the software that came with the printer.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

gneegirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Printer Ink

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My printer constantly reminds me when I am getting low.
    In fact, I was wanting to print off two pages, last nite, and it would not let me, saying I was out of ink.

• sue_va
    15 years ago

A lot of good info in the above posts, and I just thought of a question that wasn't covered. Do the cartridges go bad, as in dry up, if you keep them too long? For instance if I buy two at a time?

Wanda, thanks for the tip about HP.com. I hadn't thought about going there.

Sue

• donna37
    15 years ago

Yes, I've had ink dry up. I, now, try to print something pretty often to prevent that.

• drewsmaga
    15 years ago

WhenI had an Epson printer serviced under warranty, the repairman told me to only turn on the printer when I was using it, and keep it turned off the rest of the time (i.e. don't just leave it on all day.) He said that the heat produced from leaving it on dries out the ink.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

I think it was said here before, but just in case, when you're printer says it's out of ink, try printing in greyscale if you don't need to print in color. It will print using the black ink. Just a thought.

Question on HP - aren't they pretty high in price? I purchased HP for another HP printer and it was $25 for one cartridge. When I ran out of other colors, I ended up buying another HP printer for not much more than the cost of the ink. Just another thought...

Since my last post here, I've been checking on new and remanufactured cartridges. Check for that as well if you are not going with HP.

• sue_va
    15 years ago

gneegirl, there are many different HP printers, so it depends on what you have. Mine is an All-in-One.

When I asked about cartridges drying up, I meant new, never opened, not one in the printer.

Sue

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

HP cartridges have an expiration date on the box.

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

A tip to save ink: I print in "Fast Draft" mode rather than "Normal"--it uses much less ink, and the minor decrease in print quality doesn't bother me. If I'm doing a very important document, I just change to "Normal" quality.

My printers are set to "Fast Draft" as default, so I don't have to remember to change the preferences each time.

gneegirl, the cost of cartridges depends on the printer--my newer printers use cartridges that cost $15, whereas my old all-in-one uses cartridges that cost $30. And my laser printer cartridges are $65 (but last much, much longer).

• sue_va
    15 years ago

WTR-did, So it does! I thought about that after I posted the question.

I had to use the magnifier to see it. It is printed in a very slanted font and very dim; wonder why? The date is March 2010.

Sue

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Glenda, I haven't read all the other replies. I take my cartridges to cartridgeworld for refills. Used to buy at staples, but this is so much cheaper, and I could not tell a difference.

Moni

PS, I have a black one, and a color cartridge, HP printer/copier/scanner.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor