SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

Show me your Pie(s)!!

msafirstein
16 years ago

Just one pie for me so far! My Mom's Pumpkin Pie recipe and Nancy's Vodka Crust. It came out of the oven late last night and it took everything I had in me not to steal a slice!!

Michelle

Comments (53)

• ziporion
    16 years ago

Beautiful pie Michelle!

jcpline, yours looks like it's been enjoyed!

Jessica, too funny about not sharing with company! I'll bet it's been devoured!

Catherine

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I've got one finished from lastnight..I'm waiting a few more minutes for AnnT's Maple Oatmeal Crust to chill before it becomes the bottom crusts for two more pies.
    So that will be three pies total..
    I'll take pics when they are all done.
    Michelle, your pie is a beaute!
    jcp, your pie looks very good tasty.
    EJ, I love lemon pie..that looks good too..

• Related Discussions

Show me your Ben Moore Green room(s)

Q

Comments (6)
    Love Paris Rain... my kitchen/family room is Cheyenne Green, and I often wish I had gone one step lighter and used Paris Rain. This is the only pic I have of Cheyenne Green (the wall in the foreground). This is from our beach cottage -- DD's room in Pale Vista. This is Dacquiri Ice also in our beach house.
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Monday July 13

Q

Comments (18)
    Got this picture of our Grandson and his girlfriend last night. It was their end of school prom picture. He is such a great kid...well mannered, well behaved, good grades, polite, respectful just an all around good kid. What strikes me about the picture is how tall this girl must be. I don't remember how tall our Grandson is but he is very tall and look at her height compared to his...
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - S 5/25

Q

Comments (17)
    A new face in the neighborhood. Not a stray. He/she has a collar and tag and is not immediately afraid of dogs. Not trusting enough to let me get close. It could belong to the neighbors that just moved into the new build behind me. I don't know those people at all. While I appreciate the dispatch of the odd mouse or chipmunk, I do fear for its safety.
    ...See More

March 14, Pi Day. Show me your Pi(e)

Q

Comments (25)
    Chloebud, stop by any time! However, the berries will be ready about June, plan ahead, LOL. Some cherries might still be left then too! heatheron, that's a very neat idea for your pie crust, I'll have to remember that. Your son is right, though, crisps are easier than pie, and equally delicious. Carol, organic produce is expensive here too, so I grow as much of my own as I can. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the birds out of the cherry trees, the chipmunks out of the strawberries, the turkeys out of the corn patch, the deer out of the garden and the groundhogs out of everything! One of my sweet cherry trees is the creamy colored Royal Ann, which is supposed to fool the birds and they think it isn't ripe. We'll see, I guess... I have made cherry jam from the sour cherries but I seem to be the only person that likes it, and I made cherry BBQ sauce too, but it wasn't a big hit. I did make an awesome cherry sorbet from them, though, and I'll make that again. Annie
    ...See More
  • msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WHEW...I've got everything prepped except the biscuits and needed to take a break and finish my morning coffee which is now stone cold!

Thanks everyone for the comments on my pie. Ever since I injured my finger I am the worst at crimping pie crust. My Mom suggested doing the little cutouts and it worked out wonderfully.

jc, all Linda's recipes are good and it no surprise that the pie is delicious. I've got to try doing crust like that!

Jessy, does your lemon pie have condensed milk or evaporated milk? I've got half cans of both sitting in my frig that need to be used and your pie looks delicious! And I like a lemon pie with the leftovers too!!

Terri, can't wait to see the pies you made especially the Sweet Potato that you made last night.

Hmmmmm....best get back to the kitchen and finish up the biscuits.

Michelle

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Michelle: sorry, neither. BUT this pie is super easy. Make the filling first! (and I bagged on the whipped cream)

Sour Cream Lemon Pie
    Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar
    3 1/3 tablespoons Cornstarch
    1 tablespoon Lemon rind, grated
    1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice
    3 Egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 cup Milk

1/4 cup Butter

1 cup cultured sour cream

1 BAKED 9-inch pie shell

1 cup Heavy whipping cream, whipped

Directions:

Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, juice, egg yolks, and milk in heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick. Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature. Stir in sour cream and pour filling into pie shell. Cover with whipped cream and garnish with lemon twists. Store in refrigerator. From Massachusetts Dairy Sampler by Massachusetts Dairy Industry Promotion, Inc.

• diana55
    16 years ago

THATS AS GOOD AS IT GETS !!! I'm the worst pie maker in the world. I envious of your pies. Diana55

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rich looking pie there, Diana! Must be angus?

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

I made one pie, Hubbard Squash Pie ... and for those who like the lightness of sweet potato pie, you must try this ! Now if I could learn how to do a lovely crust like Michelle :)

jclepine, glad you enjoyed the cranberry-pear pie, perfect crust for me .. :)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Wonderful pie...

Well, it IS mine; I bought it (and had a hard time not going into the freezer for it...) btw, Ukrop's is in Richmond VA and I live in Annapolis, so this is a yearly thing we do of getting a Thanksgiving pie there on some trip. Maureen

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

I love pie! Everyone's look wonderful. This year I made a crumb topped apple pie and a pumpkin cheesecake pie

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Okay Here's my pies..Top Left Apple Crumb, Front Left Spice Rack Sweet Potato with Pecan Caramel Topping, Right Pumpkin, all made with Wheat Free Crust. I took AnnT's Maple Oatmeal crust and used gluten free flour. I did add the oatmeal, and used oatmeal and a bit of oat flour in the "crumb" too..Good stuff!
    and Nina..if you pop in..Hubby said your pie is the BEST ever..LOL

{{!gwi}}

Spice Rack Sweet Potato Pie after it came out of the oven.
    {{!gwi}}

Sweet Potato Sliced{{!gwi}}

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

It was just the two of us and a very simple pie.

{{!gwi}}

Nancy

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

I'm stuffed! Here are pictures of all our delicious delicacies. They were all very good.

FRENCH APPLE TART

CORN MEAL PIE-DH makes these for the hospital. He uses store bought pie dough, HEY, he makes 'em! ;-)

TRUFFLES

WHITE CHOCOLATE SPICED PEAR TIRAMISU

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Karen, now I know I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving next year!

Beautiful! Never have had cornmeal pie.

Nancy

• san_
    16 years ago

as usual, all you folks who bake manage to impress the heck out of me. and after stalling for longer than i care to admit, i too can now claim to have actually made a pie. with many thanx to wizard/nancy and lakeguy/david for sharing their recipes for the crust and the "heart of dixie" pecan filling. and for those who may be wondering why all those lights, i assure you it was quite intentional--tough to get past them to clearly see whatever is actually in that pie plate :)

Here is a link that might be useful: pie

• jessyf
    16 years ago

yeah san!

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Didn't manage to take pictures - everything was done just in time. I made two pumpkin pies - and baked some leftover crust in leaf shapes to decorate the tops - the crust from Sol's tomato tart recipe because I was doing some other new to me recipes so I didn't try the vodka crust. Plus a fall fruit cobbler from Classic Home Deserts (cranberry, pear and apple).

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, Your Hubbard Squash Pie recipe is not on your blog but could you post the recipe? I did copy your Carrot Pie recipe which is another one I want to try. BTW, I made your Sourcream Bread and it was soooooooo good! One of the highlights of our TG dinner too. I tried a recipe for a Dipping Biscuit that I know you will like.

Tracy, Your Pies look great. Could you post the Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie recipe, please?

Jessy, thanks for the recipe! C&P!

WOW....Terri, 3 different pies and all so unique too. Bet your men made short work of those.

Nice pie San!!! Love the lights and the cutouts! Pies are not easy to make and you did a great job.

Karen, gorgeous desserts! What does the Cornmeal Pie taste like?

Nancy, you and I are Michiganders...Never even heard of Cornmeal Pie before either.

Cloud, the cobbler sounds so good! I've never thought to make a cobbler for TG!

One other dessert I made was Sweet Potato Flan and it was very good. Joe cut into it before I had a chance to refrigerate and flip it, so I can only photograph one piece but the entire flan is about the size of a 10" pie.

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

damn san now I'll have to make one, that sure looks like a pros pie to me! Don't you just love David's pie? I have a huge bag of pecans in the freezer at the cottage so maybe I'll try this weekend.

Great looking pies everyone!

• User
    16 years ago

Good Morning Turkey revelers ! The desserts on this page make me want a piece (or 12:) with my coffee this morning.

Michelle, I used the same recipe for the Hubbard Squash pie as I did for the Carrot, which is the one I use for my Sweet Potato .... lol .... 3 in one recipe ! Actually you could make pumpkin with it too :) The only thing I do different is sometimes I use a different flavor than vanilla.

DH loves the sour cream bread too, I would love the dipping biscuit. Thanks.

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Wow, great looking pies everyone - I've copied the recipes and will be trying some new ideas, thanks! San - I love your presentation and congrats on your first pie!

Just the normal pumpkin and apple crumb pies here, but what made them special is that my youngest (19 yr) daughter made them since I needed some help this year. I gave instructions and she cooked and I have to say that she made a darn good pie crust for her first try :)

Cindy

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

Here you go Michelle! This was actually the first time I've used pumpkin pie filling in a recipe. I cooked the leftover down into pumpkin butter. Yum!

Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie

1-9" graham cracker crust (I made my own)
    2-8 oz packages cream cheese at room temp.
    1/2 c granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 c canned pumpkin pie filling
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/4 t nutmeg
    1 t vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350° with rack in center of oven.

2. Place the cream cheese and sugar in a mixing bowl or in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process or use a handheld mixer to blend the two ingredients until they are smooth. Add the eggs, pumpkin pie filling, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, and mix or process until smooth. If you are using the mixer, take care not to beat too much air into the batter, as this will cause it to rise during baking and then fall and crack when it cools.

3. Pour the mixture into the crust, and bake the pie for 30 minutes or until the top looks dry, with only a small damp spot remaining in the center. Cool completely before serving, refrigerating or freezing. Makes 8 servings.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Sorry no pictures but we had, pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, & beautifully frosted rice crispy treats (for the little one's)

Michelle, those "Dipping Biscuits" were so very good!

Lucy

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

Those are ALL yummy looking - I am almost inspired to try my hand at baking next year! I have crust issues, but Nancy's vodka crust sounds like it might be the answer. I have a pie picture too, but it needs the back story first:

This year, each of us made one part of the meal. My dad was put in charge of pies. We are typically so full by the end of the meal that we don't put the emphasis on dessert. We get a Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pie and a Marie Calender's Razzleberry Pie. I told my dad what to get, and told him to leave the Razzleberry pie on the counter, so the crust wouldn't get soggy overnight, but to put the pumpkin pie in the fridge.

OK, my dad is 79, but cooks for himself all the time. He has made the Razzleberry pie before, but never pumpkin. He arrives with the pies, and says he dropped the Razzleberry pie, but luckily it landed face up, so only suffered a dented pan and a cracked crust. I put that one down, then he hands me the pumpkin pie, and the box felt kinda funny. I reach inside, and immediately I feel odd wetness. I slide the pie out, and it's completely raw, and most of the filling has sloshed out and has coated the inside of the box. Then I look at him and notice he has pumpkin liquid on his shirt and jacket, and my dogs are furiously licking his pant legs and shoes. I said "Dad! You didn't bake the pie!!!" and he said "You told me to put it in the refrigerator!!!" We were all ROFL --- there was only about 1/4" of filling left in the pie. I upended the box and let what was in there drip into the crust and put it in the oven. So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you.....

Joel's Pumpkin Tartlette:

• User
    16 years ago

Weed

What a wonderful story and memory to store away. My Dad is no longer with us, he loved egg custard pie and since he passed I can't bring myself to bake one.

(((Hugs)))

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weed....ROTHL!!! Too funny about the pie, but don't all Dad's do similar things.

Linda, I think of my Dad almost every day. Especially when it comes to food like when I made the Apple Maple Butter earlier this year, I know he would have loved it.

Tracy, I make the Cheesecake Pie all the time and I was hoping the Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie was similar. So easy and so good!! Thanks for taking the time to post it for me.

Cindy, WOW...your daughter did a beautiful job on the crusts. I just can't do the crimping, actually I never did do a good job even before my finger injury.

Lucy, no pictures!!! Dang, I was hoping to see your entire feast! The pies sound wonderful though.

I've been thinking about Dutch Apple Pie lately and I don't think I've read anything on Dutch Apple Pie in years and years. Two-crust pies are a big problem for me so the Dutch Apple would work out perfectly. My first job was as a waitress and the restaurant's #1 pie was Dutch Apple and topping was at least an inch thick. Anyone make it?

Michelle

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Wow! I have alot of C & P to do.

Yay San! You did it. I love the lighted pie decoration.

Weed, LOL at your story! I agree with Ohiomom. Great story for you have and share from year to year.

Nancy, The Corn Meal Pie taste like a pecan pie without nuts. This pie has graced the Thanksgiving table for about 55 years on my DH side of the family. He continues the tradition and shares with his co-workers every year.

Corn Meal Pie (Mamaw)

2 eggs, beaten
    1 ½ cup brown sugar
    1 pinch of salt
    ¼ cup melted butter
    ¼ cup milk
    ¼ cup corn meal
    ½ tsp. vanilla

Mix all together and cook very slowly (325 degrees) in an uncooked pie crust until filling is set.

• femmelady
    16 years ago

Weed, that is absolutely hysterical. I'm laughing now!

I tried a pecan pie recipe from my Williams Sonoma collection and should have known better. It called for dark corn syrup and 1/4 cup of molasses. I've had molasses foods before but somehow, it was just too much. I thought it would be a hint, but it was overwhelming. So now I have 3/4 of a pie that tastes way too much like molasses. They called it a rustic pecan pie, and I guess my great grandparents might have enjoyed it. Whipped cream helped a bit though! The pumpkin was great however. But my daughter took a bite of that pecan and said, could we have apple next year? Oh well! At least I won't pork out on pecan pie the next two days!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Weed...I love it.

Karen, I know you and Charles and Mawmaw knew how much time it takes 'for set' but since I am not much of a pie baker, but love anything that smacks of pecan pie (I guess except femmel's ...what a shame), ABOUT how long does it take 'til set'? I tend to leave the kitchen... Maureen

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Maureen, Mamaw would be proud that you asked!

Charles said, "If you double the recipe and make two pies then 'set' would take about 35 minutes".

So simple yet delicious!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Weed, that's great..
    Well Michelle...There is still some pie left..but I'm guessing by weekend end...every last lick will be gone.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Karen, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make it soon, I love the brown sugar in it...I just know I'll like the whole thing.

I'm more sure all the time that there's a southern gal hiding in this northern gal.... ;-)

Cute story Weed, I swear the older folks forget to even read the pkg... I can see my DM doing something like that.

Nancy

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Here are mine. These were taken before baking. All pumpkin this year. Wizardnm's vodka crust.
    Sorry about the size, I am not bright enough to do thumbnails.
    Sherry

• weed30 St. Louis
    16 years ago

Sherry, the cutouts are great! Do you have some tool that does that, or do I have to smack you for being naturally talented?

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Weed, I would LOVE it if you smacked me for my superb talents, but those cutouts were all made from autumn cookie cutters. I also have apple shaped cutouts that I put on my apple pies. I love them.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

I'm a little embarrassed to share my pie but here goes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple pie. ;)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

LOL Barnmon!

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

My hubby and I did not have any pies. But I can bake some sweet potatoes and make a sweet potato pie for us.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Ok Michelle,
    As you know TG wasn't at my house, but last evening my son & DIL came for dinner...I so cheated with this pumpkin pie, via frozen pie crust however I did make the filling.

My daughter decided to change out the china cabinet to hold my Fitz & Floyd holiday dishes. Guess what? The bowls are missing! DH must have stored that box. Has to be because I have a cabinet for all my special pieces & they're not there! I spent so many hours looking for these bowls. Of course he has no clue to where they are. Who knows what x-mas decoration box they'll come out of. Reason for cheating...

Lucy

• nashvillegirl
    16 years ago

All of these pies look great! Love the cutouts Sherry!

We aren't a pumpkin pie family, so this year, my sister-in-law brought over a fudge pie and a chocolate chip pie, and I made the Caramel Pecan Tart that was on the cover of the 11/07 Southern Living. It turned out GREAT and will now be our standard "pecan pie" for Thanksgiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramel Pecan Tart recipe

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhh...NG, I think I can even do that tart!! Tarts are so much easier than pies...im-non-baker-ho. I can almost taste that pecan crunch. mmmmmmmm

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I was eager to try the vodka crust but I wasn't assigned pies/desserts for Thanksgiving. I am certainly enjoying all of your creations; it's no surprise that they are better than any that showed up at TG dinner.

That tiramisu looks fabulous as does the cut outs.

Nashville, the tart looks fabulous too; I covet that dish.

• nashvillegirl
    16 years ago

The pecan tart was really easy - I am not a pie crust maker either and this turned out great. The recipe called for an 11 inch tart pan and all I had was a 10 inch, so I left out about a handful of the crust and a few tablespoons of the filling and it was wonderful.

Mustangs - the cake stand was a last minute purchase from Marshall's on Wednesday night!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I just emailed that Pecan Tart Recipe to myself..Yummmy....
    Thanks for sharing..yours looks amazing NG!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Awesome looking pies all!! I don't have photos either,I didnt think of it. My DD and I made pumpkin,pecan and mince pies. We had such a good time. Nothing like leftover pie for breakfast! yum. Sue

• woodie
    16 years ago

I covet that dish also, Nashville! I can't get to Marshall's until Monday or Tuesday, darn it! (P.S. I don't even bake pie or even it eat much.)

(However.....if there was one I would be talked into baking or eating, it would be caramel pecan, YUM) Yes, I saved the recipe!

• san_
    16 years ago

what a beautiful assortment of sweet treats, each with their own special little twist! but i came here to see if chase had posted hers yet--i believe she and jessy had challenged me and i've seen jessica's lovely creation. has anyone seen sharon's? yoo hoo--calling chase, please!!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I made a pecan the night before and got up early to make a pumpkin and apple strudel. We had fresh whipped cream to go with them.

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All my sweets are gone...I finished them off last night!!

Nashville....GORGEOUS plate!

Bumble, I also like your pie plates. The scalloped one is just fabulous!!! And the pumpkin pie dish has a wonderful design. And your pie server is so pretty!!! Is a small tablecloth or a towel? I like the design very much!

If you have time could you post the apple strudel recipe please?

Michelle

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Thanks, but I don't have an official recipe.
    I take a regular apple pie recipe and add a topping (don't dot with butter) then pastry leaves. And bake as usual.
    Strudel
    Mix all together:
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup dark brown sugar
    1 stick butter soft
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    chopped nuts if desired

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I made a pumpkin pie and a banana cream pie. Last year I nearly had a revolt when I made pumpkin cheesecake instead of pie, and this year it was insisted that I make pumpkin. So, of course, you know what everyone ate....

Yup, banana cream was all eaten, and I have half a pumpkin pie left.

Annie