SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Question about Linda C's roll recipe, please

trudymom
12 years ago

I am making Linda C's roll recipe this year, and have a couple of questions please--do I let the rolls rise again after I shape them into roll size? I think the recipe says to bake them after shaping them. And, do I brush with the egg wash before or after I bake them--I am assuming before.

Thank you!

Trudy

Mrs. Avery's Rolls

2C Scalded Milk, cooled to warm temperature

3T Shortening or Butter, Melted

1/2 C Sugar

1 t salt

2 eggs, beaten

2 pkgs yeast (or 1T bulk yeast)

1/3 warm water

4-5 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water (about 105 degrees) with a teaspoon of the sugar, wait until it foams. While waiting for the yeast to foam, mix the milk, butter, remaining sugar and salt. After the yeast foams, add the yeast mixture to it, and the two beaten eggs to the mixture. Either by hand or in a stand mixer, blend in flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft and fairly sticky. Turn onto a floured board and knead just until the dough is no longer sticky, but is smooth and satiny.

Let rise until doubled, punch down, knead a little, then shape into rolls. Bake at 350 until golden. May brush with egg wash or butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Also good rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar. Dough is a good base dough for a variety of sweet breads like cinnamon rolls or brioche.

Comments (3)