SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mobileloancloser

Abrasion marks in Sherwin Williams white alkyd paint

mobileloancloser
15 years ago

Can someone please help me!?!?! I have painted my entire kitchen cabinetry, the entire houseful of trim, and numerous pieces of furniture in Sherwin Williams alkyd enamel paint (proclassic) in alabaster white. I have painted all these projects at different times over the past 10 years. My problem is that you can't set anything on top of this paint (like setting a coffee cup on a table) because when you pick up the item and barely run it over the surface of the paint, there are horrible greyish, pencil like marks in the paint. They can be scrubbed off. It doesn't take much to make these marks. Both of my Sherwin Williams' stores managers can't figure out what went wrong. The application process went like this: I sanded the piece, primed with SW alkyd primer (preprite), let dry for a day or two, sanded all brushmarks out smooth, put coat of proclassic paint (some of my projects I used penetrol for flow, some I did not), let dry for a day or two (I made absolutely sure it was hard by trying to scratch my fingernal in it before continuing), sanded again, then put another coat of Proclassic (sometimes it took a third coat with a sanding in between coats of course). What went wrong? Should I have used waterborne enamel? I thought alkyd enamel was supposed to be very hard and durable. Thank you so much in advance for all your help!!!!!

Comment (1)