SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Texturizing plaster wall w/drywall mud?

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Hi folks - its me again! I've been on several forums with questions regarding my old plaster walls we'll be painting soon, so I thought I'd try my luck here on the paint forums to gleen some last minute advice before we proceed.

We recently stripped our family room of its wallpaper (16x20 room.) Underneath it all, we have plaster, about 50 years old. Its in pretty good shape, but there are some hairline cracks, nailholes, old, lumpy patch jobs from previous owners. Also, two of the walls are drywalled.

Before we paint, I'd like to texturize the walls with drywall mud to give it more of a uniform textured look. I'm not interested in rolling the texture on, but rather, I was thinking of just criss-crossing it on with a drywall knife, then priming and painting. I can't seem to find any detailed info on this method anywhere on the web. I've seen it done on HGTV before as a low-cost solution, and I've even done it before, but that was a long long time ago and I need a "refresher" course.

We live in a 1928 farmhouse, so I am fine with texture and enhancing the plaster walls. Can anyone offer any supporting information that will help me in this texturizing project? It just seems like the most affordable and quick solution to our problems (our floors are due in a couple weeks and we need to get these walls finished!)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths