SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Family Room Help

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I need some ideas for our family room.

The flooring and paint are new. The sectional, ottoman, area rug and "belgian work table" (under the TV) are all new too. I do not want to change or move any of them. The table in front of the window comes from our old kitchen, i like it better as a sofa table but had moved it when the photos were taken.

I like very quiet color palates and I like spaces that feel open and light, rather under-furnished. But is this too empty?

Specifically, there is a space in this room that i cannot figure out. It is about 8' wide and it is 28' long; the area behind the sofa and to the left and right of the picture window.

As for FUNCTION, there is somewhat of a secondary traffic flow from the french doors to the step, but truly secondary or even tertiary. The only activity that takes place there is, in one corner, our MAC shrine. Because our kids are still young we have one computer for them to share and we want it centrally located so we can monitor their usage (which is limited, but precious to them). NOTE: I could use a laptop instead, and the table the MAC is on they have outgrown.

As for AESTHETICS, i find scale to be a very big conundrum. The sofa is 12" by 9.5", the Belgian work table is 10'! I feel like anything I use has to be big. It also has to be kind of rustic and simple.

Thanks in advance.

The family room

Aerial view

Floorplan ( no mans land at the bottom of the layout is what I am trying to furnish; pink is the console under the TV, blue is sofa, green is ottoman, all to scale)

Another view

To the right of the window, empty space

To the left, too small desk and MAC (function needs to stay in this room)

Comments (46)

• Oakley
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have to keep the small desk? It's a perfect place for a study/computer area. What about a long desk with upper shelves?

I know you don't like many accessories, but i can see a vintage curio cabinet filled with pottery or other special things on the opposite side of the windows.

And you need a pop of red. Hee.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually the desk definitely goes; they are too tall for it. But what to put there?

I am so not a curio cabinet person, Oakley! Sorry. Plus I think the scale wouldn't work, kwim?

Oh no, not the "r word'!!

• Related Discussions

Contemporary family room help please!

Q

Comments (17)
    I don’t know your rug budget, so these are just ideas. I love this first one for it’s very cool-retro 80’s contempo vibe. And brown is coming back in a big way, your sofa was a great choice. https://www.cb2.com/hogan-handknotted-mocha-viscose-rug/f22504 I love this one because of the design and colors: https://www.cb2.com/eros-hand-knotted-brown-rug/f25598
    ...See More

Family Room Help - Lots of Windows

Q

Comments (5)
    This large window room room runs into the kitchen which has a dining area. And the goal is to also have that kichen eating area able to view the TV in that large room as well. The adjacent room is not so suited for a TV room (don't know how we will purpose this yet). Below....
    ...See More

Fireplace + Family Room Help

Q

Comments (5)
    I think I would narrow that large entry doorway to gain wall space, especially to avoid mounting TV above the FP. It is a very small room for any kind of "big" couch. Since you've only shown us parts of two walls, we really can't give you too much specific advice. Any cabinets built either side of the FP will stick out and recess the FP itself, also eating some of your 12 feet of floor space. If you don't really like the FP, remove it. Are those the only windows in the room? Show us all walls and maybe we can help more.
    ...See More

Family room help

Q

Comments (12)
    I would not paint the built-ins, they are beautiful and the best thing about the room. Your rug is boring, replace that. You might also want to consider changing the wall color, it is muddy and boring too. But first get the rug. That will inform everything else. You might choose to get some chip board and paint that and use it to cover the back of the shelves of the book cases, and see how you feel about that. Get some poster board from the dollar store for that project. But first, the rug. Get a good quality hand-made Persian or Oriental, no machine made crapola, and not a copy Indo-Pakistani thingamajig. It can have some flaws, as long as the flaws are under where your furniture will be. Then once you know the colorways of the carpet, consider replacing some of the throw pillow covers. One throw pillow with words is sentimental. More than that is trite. Well-stuff the pillows. A 20 inch pillow cover should get a 22 inch pillow form. You could get a knockout glass coffee table, or a fabric ottoman with a large tray on top. Make sure you get a rug that is large enough. You can always layer by getting a L-A-R-G-E natural fiber rug like sisal or a sisal look alike and layer the oriental on top of it, that is perfectly acceptable and quite the done thing, then you don't have to purchase a humongous rug. A decent Oriental rug store will deliver a few to your home so you can see what they look like on site. I would also remove the double table and wedding picture from beside the door, they serve no purpose there. SInce I don't see any type of coat closet there, you could put some type of attractive hall tree or free standing coat rack, or coat hooks with a bench underneath to sit on to change shoes. Or, an attractive mirror with a table at console height underneath so one can check one's hair when going out or coming in. Or instead of a console table, a chest of drawers for storage , but it should be at console height. What you have there now is a set of side tables that belongs next to one of your sofas. The wedding photo belongs in your bedroom or in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. The large photo on the side table doesn't belong there either. A side table is for a drink and a snack and there is no room for either with that large photo on it. Speaking of which, you may have room for an additional chair and you can put that double table on the side of the additional chair.
    ...See More
  • beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

I really like that couch. Can I ask where it came from?

I would do a little reading nook in the corner where the computer desk is now. Sort of a take-off on this:
    {{gwi:1617414}}

I'd do the chair kitty corner to the window w/ a lamp behind it. Next to it, I'd put a little laptop table w/ the laptop or computer.

Along the other wall, I'd probably either do nothing or do some kind of neat oversized antique grandfather clock:
    {{gwi:1617415}}

• pps7
    12 years ago

For the computer area, How about a round game table and 4 upholstered chairs? They can use it as a desk, for board games, projects etc.

For the sectional area, If you are anything like us, you need end tables, to place a glass of water or drink. and maybe a lamp or two. Throw pillows would be nice, not too many, but a few to add color and pattern.

I love the Belgium table!

Does that table really work as a sofa table? It seems pretty deep and it looks like it would get in the way of traffic flow. I do think a sofa table would look nice in the space.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Love the couch and whole room! I think it looks lovely as-is. I would not add much except artwork.

The only issue to me seems to be TV viewing. It looks like the TV is far for most people? Or maybe you do not watch much anyway.

Anyway, if you want change, I think the function aspect should be your starting point. I like Beagle's idea of a reading nook, complete with bookcases. I tend to like bookcases!

• les917
    12 years ago

What a terrific space!

I was wondering, since you say the Mac table is outgrown, if you could move the table that is in front of the window down to that wall, and add a couple of taller stools for them to use? That is something that will grow with them, and give them space for homework, projects, etc. Easy to wall-mount a couple of swing arm lamps to focus light on what is being done.

I would then think about a smaller table centered on the window, with a pair of comfy upholstered chairs on either side, a pretty lamp on the side of the table by the window. Good for playing games or using a laptop or a place to read while others are watching tv.

Lamps in both those places will bring more light to that side of the room, especially the back area of the couch which feels a bit shadowed right now.

I would also think a long rectangular rug in that area would cozy up the space.

Some colorful, fun pillows would be a nice addition to the couch. Maybe down-filled, which are great for using under the head when stretching out for a nap.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Only you can know whether the room is too empty but since you ask I'm guessing you think it is. It certainly would be for me as I tend to decorate more-is-more style.

Is the table in front of the window now behind the sofa? Since you liked it better there, that should be it's home.

The 8'x28' space needs a long wide runner to fill it.

Replace the small computer table with a larger one more in keeping with the style of the other tables, something vintage or antique and move it closer to the large window. I don't think the table in front of the window in the pic would work due to the shelf below. Probably there would then be space for an upholstered chair and lamp in the corner as previously mentioned by Beagles. Leave the area in front of the large window empty, it's acting as large art with the lovely view.

Unless your children actually sit in that tiny chair that's on the floor to the right of the kitchen table IMO it would be perfect placed on a large table somewhere or hung on a wall.

Is there a reason you have no artwork on the walls? Not only art, but one large vintage/antique architectural/industrial/steampunky 'something' that defies description and is interesting is needed. Something that will contrast in shape and color intensity (even if it's just rusty) to the rest of the room. That alone will raise this room from merely great to fantastic.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow, nice room. I would like to see a few dark brown leather or suede pillows on the sofa. The ottoman looks a little lonely to me.
    Renee

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I would need color.

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

Beautiful bones. I like less is more too. I think you will see this room used more as your kids grow.

There are a couple of really good ideas that have been thrown out to you. Using the spot for a reading area and/ or putting a round table there with 4 chairs for games, drawing, and computer (laptop) with lighting hanging above.

The room lacks something on the walls. Have you thought about a photo gallery on the wall that is left to the window. I bet you have some great pics of your children. I would use a variety of old or old looking frames, if you like the idea.

I notice you don't have any end tables and I think in this case you may not need them but you do need some type of lighting by the sofa, maybe 2 floor lamps on each side. Since you have a leather ottoman for the coffee table, what where you thinking as a spot to put glasses.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I like it as it is. The only thing I would do is a long runner behind the sofa. I love the soft tones of the blue and cream rug, but I would do the runner in deep shades of red, brown or other darks. I would also do pillows in the soft tones you like, but with 2 or 3 in darker tones or with some designs in darker tones. I think the room needs a hint of dark to make the light more apparent (does that make sense?) I would also add artwork. I saw some neat art in a mag the other day that actually turned out to be water colour wallpaper mounted on a frame. Just google water colour wallpaper and you'll see what it looks like.

Keep posting pics. I love your rooms.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

No time to post - out to drop kiddos off & grocery shop but wanted to say I love your space - it will look fantastic because I've seen some of your spaces! Where did you get your sectional?

• eandhl
    12 years ago
  • Oakley
    12 years ago

Mtn, I meant replace the small desk with a larger one. It's a great place for the Mac because not only can you still monitor the kid's viewing pleasure, but it also gives them their own private space. Especially for homework when they need to concentrate.

Having upper shelves with nooks is a great place to keep their supplies.

I'm just throwing this out there, but a rectangle rug under the table and chair would look nice.

Where you have the Mac now is the best place, IMO.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your help.

Eandhl - What wall did you think I should hang something on? I was thinking nothing could go where the TV is. The other walls are not terribly tall and meet with unusual ceiling lines. I am not sure if I want to go that country (quilts) or not. Country can turn kitschy so quickly, kwim? It's sort of a fine line.

TTodd and Beagles - The sectional is from Mitchell Gold Bob Williams. It is slipcovered, with which 3 kids and a dog seems like a good idea if you want a white sofa! I wanted all five of us to be able to watch a movie, hence the size. I tried to choose something timeless but then noticed arm styles are the give away. The rounded arm is kind of out right now but I wanted it anyway. The best best best thing about this sofa is that is it down filled. I went to the MGBW store, sat down, and was sold. If I could I would sleep in it every night. Sorry DH.

Daisy - the rug is a good old Dash and Albert. They are very reasonably priced so I wont feel bad if I change it out or if the dog has muddy paws. Big fan of D&A. Their runners are 2.5'x12' -- the space is 8'x28' .... too small, yes? Where would you hang art?

Jersey, thanks! The corner spot, which is something like 7.5'x9', has to be for the MAC or MAClaptop. I don't think I will put a table there because just off of this family room is our new "craft room", which has a large round table and seating for crafts, projects, games, etc. I hate to do anything to pristine walls, especially panelled ones. I have a photo gallery space elsewhere. I will keep an eye out for art but when I force it it never end well! The table in front of the window will go back behind the sofa. People can put drinks there, but generally I am not providing areas for that. I do not allow any food or drink outside of the kitchen area (both to preserve my house and because it is really a bad habit anyway IMHO). When we entertain, it would usually be in the living room or patio.

Arcy, yes , most people would. My whole house looks like this! Even my poor children's rooms.

Hosenemesis (hmm, i cannot figure out that name!). Yes, we probably should find a way to pull the darkness of the ottoman onto the sofa, prob w pillows. Sounds like Etsy time!

Luckygal,
    Would you match the runner to the other rug? What size runner would you use? What kind of table would you use for the computer? I like your point about leaving the window empty. I am not sure where I would hang artwork. To me the TV wall is obvious, but for the TV. All of the other walls are interrupted or short. Funny, you describe what I hung in my LR -- an ovesized rusty old horse weatheravane (for fun, see link).

LEs 917, thanks! Your idea about stools and the table is really interesting. I am not sure the ergonomics work, but that is very creative. Also, we already have a newly built room dedicated to projects, homework, crafts, games, just off of this room. So we really need just a spot for the kids to sit and use the MAC. I do think I need a floorlamp in the corner, and a lamp on the sofa table. I have an old mercuried bottle that matches the base of the lamp in the room now, but I absconded with it for my mantle in the LR.

Anele, thanks. I was originally thinking I wanted bookcases on either side of the window. But what style would go with that hulking 10' belgian table? Oak barrister cases? Or is the glass too shiny? DH complains the TV is too small but the rest of us are happy. I do not like large TVs but I felt the expanse dictated it.

PPS - as said above, no food or drink allowed outside of the kitchen and DR. The "sofa table" is 2' wide and the space is 8' wide, so it fits fine. I got the "Belgian work table" on 1st dibs two years ago. Here is its publicity photo:

Beagles, love the first photo! Question --- I dont think I should repeat the duck, or should I? I actually have a chair like that. (PS I owe you an email. I do not want to jinx it, but I think we are actually going to close this time (long story! Btw, you must be close to done. Saw your kitchen - fabulous and one of a kind!)

Here is a link that might be useful: fyi great folk art

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought you might find the before of this space interesting. We added and moved and removed some doorways and windows. otherwise intact. Talk about a different decorating style! I actually loved their home.

Same aerial view:

The same 8x28 area I am trying to decorate:

Where this desk sits are now 5' wide openings to the kitchen, on either side of the fpl

• polly929
    12 years ago

I think you need some simple window treatments in a beautiful fabric for texture on the walls. Similar to the pic that beagles posted.

I have to look again to make more suggestions, but that stuck out to me. I have to run now to help in DD's kindergarten class. I'll come back later.

You have such a beautiful home.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Luckygal,
    Would you match the runner to the other rug? What size runner would you use? What kind of table would you use for the computer? I like your point about leaving the window empty. I am not sure where I would hang artwork. To me the TV wall is obvious, but for the TV. All of the other walls are interrupted or short. Funny, you describe what I hung in my LR -- an ovesized rusty old horse weatheravane (for fun, see link).

I definitely wouldn't match the runner to your Swedish Stripe Dash & Albert but would do something with curves. You have mostly rectilinear lines in this room so need something softer repeating the arched window. There are many contemporary runners and you could even do an Oriental if it's not too traditional looking. Stay with blue and white but not as light as the other rug.

"Perhaps this if you want to stay with D & A" and repeat the denim color in cushions.

As to size, if you have the table behind the sofa there's probably only 5' of clear width leaving some of your hardwood showing so you could do three 5'x8' rugs. Either have them sewn together or leave separate. The alternative is to have a custom 5'x24' or so rug made. Hard to determine the best length without seeing the space and it depends on what you do in that corner. Do a generous width tho.

What kind of table? I'd look for a vintage/antique/reclaimed wood table that has patina and is something you love. Since it is to function as a desk, no stretchers or shelves below. Could be painted as the only other painted piece seems to be the Belgian work table. You could even do something sculptural {{gwi:1617397}} Depends on your vision for the room.

For 'art' I was thinking more in terms of industrial gears or something less identifiable that has curves. Something that's a "what on earth is that?". IMO there is space for art on either side of the large window, above and below on staircase wall, as well as above the TV.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

Gosh, other than a larger more useful table and better lighting for the kids' computer and its accessories, I don't think you need to do anything. Just from what you wrote in your lead-in plus what I've seen and recall from previous posts of yours, less-is-more for you. Don't tart it up for the sake of tarting it up (now that's something *I* would do as I worship at the altar of more-is-more). If something speaks to you, you'll know it. You're a shopper -- you'll find it if it's out there. When it's out there. You know what I mean!

My children are younger than yours but do think ahead when sourcing your new computer table both in terms of space and function. More than one child at a time will want and need to be on the computer a la meme fois for homework / research, so you may need more than one monitor and keyboard (or place for tablet[s] in addition to monitor[s] and keyboard[s] and mouse / mice). My eldest is only in the second grade and I am already staggered by the amount of paperwork which comes home with him in this supposedly paperless world .... Maybe in their craft room you've already set up a homework station (?); I'm only going off my own experience and what I'm foreseeing.

mtnrdredux: I love the previous owners' exuberant abundance but I also adore your serenity. My youngest (the one with Penelope Syndrome, about which you and I have "chatted" before, and he's the one with the ode to Hirst's Opium polka-dotted walls) would t-h-r-i-v-e in your house. He needs that kind of pacific energy. I wish I had some of you in me, for his sake I really do.

Your room is lovely. Focus on the desk. The rest will fall into place.

Oh: before you had kindly inquired as to our ongoing battle with our medical insurance to cover his neurosurgeries, treatments, therapies and wheelchair. We have made some progress, not much. It's become fun cocktail party chatter (if I went to cocktail parties, that is -- more like moms-around-the-gym-mat) to talk about being given the run-around for his wheelchair, as if it were a vanity item! What parent wants to get a wheelchair for their five and a half year-old? It's a heartbreaking reality, so on we fight (and in my case: curse and cry and eat copious amounts of cookie dough). Like my beloved Anne of Green Gables, I know that every day the sun rises and the day is fresh, with no mistakes in it -- yet. One day we'll get his wheelchair. Thanks again for those supportive words. You have no idea how much it meant.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I was thinking to the right of the windows where you put the sofa table. (though it would go on either side of the window) I thought it would bring warmth to the area without adding another color.

• camlan
    12 years ago

I really like what you have going on right now.

What I'd do is move the old kitchen table back to behind the sectional. Then I'd get a couple of big indoor trees in pots and plunk them down in front of the big window. Add a runner if you like. Move those two tiny chairs over to the hearth. Then call it a day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cam, I really like the idea of the chairs on the hearth. And indoor trees, as long as i can be positive my floor will be ok!

Eandhl,
    I think it would be too big but i should measure. I do like the idea of fabric. I have an old quilt at our lakehouse, and the center square is signed and dated with some sort of message I can't read because it is so faded! I always think one day I will take it to the FBI!

Lucky,
    I love the rug you linked to! And I will have to think about art over the TV --- I thought the area was sort of off limits, but maybe not.

Rmkitchen -
    I cannot believe you mentioned Anne of Green Gables. I have been reading it to my two girls every night, and we just finished it on Sunday! Plus we were visiting family last week and I got my old copy of the trilogy, so we can read on. Kindred spirits!
    Did I "tell" you that, after I saw your Dots room, I showed my middle daughter. We then saw a writeup in the NYT on Hirst, and my daughter won a school art contest with a dot piece she decided to do. We are waiting to hear how she does at the state level. Inspired as much by you as by Hirst, lol.

Goodness, sorry to hear about the hassles with getting good care. When it comes to children, insurance companies should have like an "express check out" line to help parents! The insurers are so busy trying to keep costs down, but a parent fighting for a child should be given every possible courtesy and allowance.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful room but here are my observations:

- The rug isn't working for me. It seems to small for the space and it's too simple for such an interesting room. I like Dash and Albert's rugs, but I think you need something with more of a pattern or visual interest and something that is not white as a base, because the sofa is white/cream and they are blending together. Maybe something like the linked rug (I saw it in person at a showroom last week and it was beautiful) or the blue, platinum or brown diamond pattern rug from Dash and Albert which is an indoor/outdoor and hold up well to kids and a dog. There's something missing from the room, and I think it is texture/patterns, along with color. I think a different rug would make a huge difference.

- I'm not sure I like the console table in front of the window. Have you tried moving it to the left, where the computer table is now?

- i like the fact that you don't have much artwork on the walls. The room has a lot of architectural interest and I think putting artwork might disrupt that. I might do a few small B&W photos or even one of those white ceramic deer heads that you can get at Z Gallerie. It would add visual interest to the wall without cluttering it up.

- You didn't show photos of the fireplace but I think you need a few things on your hearth. Maybe a small sculpture or a distressed wooden box to hold firewood?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll rug - Dash & Albert

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pipdog,

- You are totally right about the rug and lack of contrast. I was almost thinking of having a summer rug and winter rug, so yours is a good idea.

- The console actually goes behind the long sofa, opposite the window. It is 2' wide so that leaves 6' of aisle.

- Thanks, there is a lot going on in the room architecturally. I think I will keep my eye open but not worry it.

- As i was thinking about my empty 8x28 area, I realized that walking in front of the fireplace it is a fairly trafficked area. So not sure about putting things on the hearth, but I do need something for the mantle and the 2-story chimney. The PO had a great, large shallow basket (forget the name) but he wasn't selling it. It looked really nice on the 2nd fl chimney.

• camlan
    12 years ago

"Oh: before you had kindly inquired as to our ongoing battle with our medical insurance to cover his neurosurgeries, treatments, therapies and wheelchair. We have made some progress, not much. It's become fun cocktail party chatter (if I went to cocktail parties, that is -- more like moms-around-the-gym-mat) to talk about being given the run-around for his wheelchair, as if it were a vanity item! What parent wants to get a wheelchair for their five and a half year-old? It's a heartbreaking reality, so on we fight (and in my case: curse and cry and eat copious amounts of cookie dough). Like my beloved Anne of Green Gables, I know that every day the sun rises and the day is fresh, with no mistakes in it -- yet. One day we'll get his wheelchair. Thanks again for those supportive words. You have no idea how much it meant."

I know it's off-topic, but my brother just finished a struggle to get a new wheelchair for his 12 year old son, my nephew. It replaced the chair he got 6 years ago. My nephew can't walk and will never walk. Everyone agrees on this. So why did it take two years to get a new chair approved and delivered to my nephew? Kids grow--it's a fact of life--insurance companies ought to be able to deal with this. This last year, he was so squished in that old chair, he got pressure sores.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this. Sending some virtual cookie dough your way.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Cool room.

I think you need medium-height objects that bridge the vaulted ceilings with the couch potato-height seating.

For your computer area, I'd try to find a rustic bookcase desk that reached almost to the top of that wall. I've seen some with open backs that would give a lighter look. I would actually include a little reading area, with a chair or lamp or two against the staircase. Functionally, that allows several people to sit and look at what's on the Mac.

To the right, I like the idea of a bleached, worn Scandinavian grandfather clock.

I actually like your table in front of the window, but it, too, needs height. Think several topiaries or tall upright plants, plus a large, interesting architectural salvage object.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am trying to see if the things I have elsewhere can work. Boy I have a rotten camera. Or maybe I need to look at the settings! Anyway, thanks in advance.

For example, this sewing table for the MAC? (centered on the wall to the left of the window). I know right where their feet will go, but I can live with that. I never really loved this piece and I got it from the prior owners of our *old* house, for like 250 bucks. But it might work ...
    {{gwi:1617420}}

And in that same area, the two small leather chairs from my old LR?

Lastly, can you see a spot for these guys (faded blue leather), maybe flanking the window
    {{gwi:1617422}}

My DH wants to try to reuse this bookcase, but I think it is just too formal and, at 8' long, another huge mass in the room
    {{gwi:1617423}}

I am thinking we put the sewing table on one side of the lg window, and on the other side we balance it out with this, tho reincarnated as a bookcase again

{{gwi:1617425}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooh Polly i forgot to reply! The prior owners had nary a single window treatment, and neither do we. I sort of feel that if I did them in one room, it would spread...kwim?

Marcolo, Height. I can do that. I see your point. It's kind of a disconnect between the room and the furnishings. Sounds like you also think I should play up the Scandinavian and keep the finishes in cool tones? All of my recyclables are warm tones.

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

I like the open space feeling you have. I would vote for a larger desk, so maybe 2 children could be there comfortably? There seems to be space enough. It doesnt have to be a desk either. With your eye you should be able to find another long table for the computer and space for one more child doing homework or using you laptop. The desk seems dwarfed by the space its in.

• User
    12 years ago

I love seeing photos of your home, inside and out. You have so many beautiful spaces and this is no exception.That TV table is gorgeous. As a fellow colorphobe who also thinks less is more, I think the room is almost finished! :)

For the ottoman, I think a tray that is a light-toned rattan (or a light color) would look good. That would downplay the darkness of the ottoman by breaking it up, and it could hold that book, your remotes, etc. On top of the book (in the tray,) I can envision a white orchid there, unless it would block your TV view.

I agree the couch needs a few throw pillows. Something muted,... either that gray/blue in your room or beige... or both.

When the sofa table is moved, I would put a couple large lamps on it. That would help w/ Marcolo's comment.

I wouldn't put anything on the walls, unless you do find some unique, architectural piece.

Mostly, I think the addition of some plants would make the room feel more completed...

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Have nothing new to add. Just wanted to say that I love your space. It is so RESTFUL. You've made me want white walls.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

OK, I haven't read through responses, so this might be a repeat idea - two pieces of near-identical art, or art very similar in feel & color, one on each side of the windows. Very large in scale. How about something like quilts in a Gee's Bend effect, or how about two Chinese ancestor paintings? I see the art in muted colors, perhaps soft blues and browns.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I didn't read all of the responses, so I'm sorry if I've duplicated ideas. But first, I *love* (love, love!) your floors! I would try pulling the rug out (both ways) from under the sectional until it's resting just inside of the edges. I think the ottoman will be fine once you have pillows to warm up the sectional. I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or not, and maybe I'm wrong, but the table looks like it might be too tall to sit behind the sectional. I might try it in the space to the left of the window as the computer station.

Your home is lovely! I hope you and your family are enjoying it!

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I like it,you need color different rug,pillows maybe. Youre getting there good start.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Polly the 2nd, Yes, definitely a bigger desk for both aesthetic and functional reasons. This isn't a homework area, this is where they play on the MAC. ANd as some pointed out, that is often a shared activity, so extra seating there is good.

Bull - I have to think about pillows because they are not needed, and I know I will drive myself crazy fixing them, picking them up, making sure the dog doesn't chew them, etc. But design wise they could help.

Hoosier --- thank you, we love them too. And yes we really enjoy our home. The before ones were pickled! I guess that will come back. I see your rug point -- maybe it is too neat an island we created. The beams may limit our ability to move it .... You have a good eye. My old kitchen sideboard is a bit high for the sofa. I vacillate on whether it bothers me. Given the style of the leg I could lob some off.

Lynxe, I am going with furniture pieces on either side, trying to recycle some old pieces into the room. Plus I really don't want to force an art purchase, it always seems to me to be better procured organically.

Joanie - yes, that is a big part of what I like in a home. Visual calm. Did you see the before? I could spend a weekend in a house like that, and enjoy it, but never live with it all.

Lolauren - Thank you! I'm a big fan of white orchids, but it won't work --- there are often five sets of feet on that ottoman. Definitely more lamps, and something tall and green, agreed. Funny about the comment on the light tray for the dark ottoman. My living room has the exact opposite problem --- the chairs are dark leather (from MGBW just like the FR ottoman) and the ottoman is white duck. GW'ers told me to put a dark tray on the ottoman, and it worked. LOL

• loribee
    12 years ago

GREAT space...loved reading all the responses.
    Yes to fabric and/or pillows~ but just a little bit. You want to keep the room's restful vibe. (does that make sense?)
    Yes to lighting, taller lighting.
    Try mixing in the furniture that you mentioned. I think that would be fun!!

• deegw
    12 years ago

Love your room!

I also would like to see a couple of substantial plants or small trees. Maybe flanking the window.

I think some mid tone pillows (not too dark) would help anchor your sofa a bit.

I would haunt antique stores for a decorative object for the small wall under the stairs. Try to find something that will make your family smile when they walk in the room. An antique map or sign from a place you like to visit or crossed vintage skis if your family loves to ski.

• User
    12 years ago

Firstly, your room is beautiful, serene and live able just as it is! I love every single thing about it. My suggestions for it--- although you know I have different inclinations with respect to color and accessorizing :) ----are these:

Move the table back behind the long axis of the sofa. Do a few taller, substantial lamps (maybe with metal or ceramic bases as a contrast to the wood? Or perhaps blue and white Chinese export porcelain ginger jar lamps in a large scale?) on it that would give task reading light to someone on the sofa at night or on a dark day. And have you tried the small chairs on top of that table?

As to the corner, I agree that the bookcase from your former house is too formal (but it is completely fabulous!). The sewing table is too small. We had a similar problem situation in Florida. The kids need a computer, but they also need, or will need, a place to write as they're reading on the Internet, particularly for essays and term papers. One kid with schoolbooks needs the same amount of room as three kids :) We solved this with a custom table (not expensive, there are places you just pick the top and legs, and you could do a distressed (or not) gray or white or taupe or a wood of your liking. It was NARROW-- about 20 inches--- and very wide, so they could all sit in a row or one could spread out the books laterally. You could then use two or three of those armless blue leather chairs from your previous home, if they would fit, or get inexpensive leather parsons chairs if they won't.

I love the pale rug! A "winter" rug with blues and reds might be a nice change....maybe a very worn out Persian. Finally, you can get a custom runner from Maslan or Stark carpets. I would not have separate ones sewn together as they will wear differently at the seams. Stark has some lovely patterns in blue and white or cream that look sort of rustic but not at all country, iykwim.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Loribee - I am going to try to mix in the pieces this weekend.

Deee - thank you! I will have to look through what i have.

Kswl - thank you. I like the ginger jar idea. I will have to start looking. I found another spot for the big bookcase. thankfully. As for the MAC, this isn't a homework spot, it's where they play games. We have a couple of great areas for homework, and they grab a laptop for that. So we don't need a ton of space.

BTW, I missed a few days of posts but I was scrolling back and saw yours about the museum standards. Love love your idea! It looks great. I fell in love with one and was thinking about it for our pool area, but they wondered about it in the family room.

The one i like is 8' tall. The space above the worktable is 12' tall and then slopes down. I have no idea how it would work on the wall. Here's a better shot of the wall

Here is a link that might be useful: i like this one but it's mammoth

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was able to recycle several items from our last house. I moved the "sofa table" back, and bought two rugs. It is busier, but I like it anyway. Now instead of feeling like a "TV room", it has three zones. And we actually use them!

Here i added an area rug to define the MACnook (thanks pipdog), used an old game table for the MAC, and reused a leather chair and lamp. There is also a small chair there to pull up to sit down, some reason its missing in the shot.

Here is the view coming from the mudroom hallway. I moved the bookcase in that spot from elsewhere in my home, and I decided to echo the MAcnook rug with a smaller one, but leave most of the floor open.{{gwi:1617429}}

Shot from upstairs
    {{gwi:1617430}}

{{gwi:1617431}}

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Glad to see you got the rugs I suggested on my Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 12:16 post! I really like them and they add nice pattern and color to the room.

The room looks much warmer and family-friendly now.

• User
    12 years ago

Wonderful changes--- LOVE the game table and chairs in front of the windows, and the mirrored rugs on either end of the passageway, and even one nice big blue and white ginger jar lamp on that sofa table would look good.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

Our church sale just sold the lamp kswl suggests!! I love the changes. You have wonderful pieces to shop your home for!! A few fun blue patterned throw pillows on your sectional would be all I would add.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Luckygal, I don't know how I missed that ... you and pip dog reccommended the same rug!

Kswl - thanks! The game table we had elsewhere, it was DHs idea to move it there and i like it too.

Arcy - thanks. I know pillows are a natural but they don't serve a function and will prob drive me crazy ....

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Luckygal, I don't know how I missed that ... you and pip dog reccommended the same rug!

Perhaps you need to reread this thread! :-D Pipdog recommended and linked to "the Scroll Platinum Wool Hooked Rug". Entirely different rug from the one I recommended and you bought which is "the Vine Denim Tufted Wool Rug". Both nice rugs but I think your room benefits from the design and color of the Vine rug so you made the best choice.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh darn .....

well. lunch is on me!

thank you so much!