SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Depression in sheetrock suddenly appeared

2ajsmama
14 years ago

Hi, I've got a wall under a window that I think I may have skimmed last year (hard to remember all the spots I've skimmed here - this wall was fairly straight, no problems with baseboard so if I skimmed it it was just b/c there were some air bubbles in original paint job, I don't recall a nail pop/sink there). I repainted, we put up baseboard and a new window stool this year and a quarter-sized dimple appeared in the paint, months after repainting/baseboard but before putting in new stool! The house is 2 years old. I skimmed some ready-mixed compound over yesterday, even after it dried that spot seems to "give" when pressed. Not sure why this suddenly appeared - will setting-type compound get rid of it? It's almost like some gypsum might be missing from behind, though the paper is intact, but the perplexing thing is that the spot is almost round, very regular edges, not jagged so it's not like the back got ripped. It's almost as if as the house dried out (or settled?) that spot just sank, without cracking the paint. It is fairly close to the cripple on the right side of the window (about 4"), but it's not *on* the stud, and as far as I can tell there is no screw/nail head within the dimple.

Any ideas how to make this disappear forever?

Comments (22)