SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckeliz9856

please help before my cabinets are ruined

beckeliz9856
16 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen.

I wanted a kitchen that was far more expensive than our budget so we purchased stock cabinets that are painted a cream color with chocolate glazing. My dad helped to add back details like columns and molding that dresses up the cabinets but now all this needs to be painted and glazed to make it all match. We really like the color and glazing on the doors so we are not touching these, but matching the boxes to this finish.

I have spoke to many many painters in the area and keep getting different answers on what type of paint to use (high gloss latex, oil based, oil based enamel, etc).

I want a good finish that will look like a factory finish so I want to have the cabinets sprayed not hand painted.

Again, I am getting different opinions on this as well.

My cabinets were supposed to be sprayed today but due to rain the project was postponed. I think this was partly true and also a stall b/c my painter told me this morning she was nervous about "messing up the cabinets" and wanted to bring a guy she works with buy to look at the project. This obviously made me feel very nervous.

The person coming to advise has been painting cabinets for 15 years and uses oil based lacquer that he brushes on. She assures me that the finish looks like glass but I really don't want brush marks.

Has anyone had any experience with having their cabinets painted? Spray vs hand paint? What type of paint?

Any advice is appreciated. We are desperate to get our kitchen back and this has caused yet another delay.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)