SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Thank you Pat_T for Frozen Lemon Torte Recipe

bestyears
15 years ago

I found it in the Desserts for Thanksgiving post and made it, right by the recipe. It was amazing!!! I made 7 or 8 desserts for a big crowd, and this was my favorite (although the World's Best Carrot Cake was a close second). It was so refreshing after a big meal. This is something I will make again and again. It was a beautiful presentation as well.

For those who may have missed it...

LEMON FREEZE TORTE

Reminiscent of lemon meringue pie, this is a light refreshing treat after a heavy meal. Could use orange juice and rind instead of lemon, if desired.

5 egg yolks

6 egg whites

1-1/4 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup Lemon juice

Grated rind of 2 lemons

2 cups whipping cream

1 pkg. (3-1/2 oz./100 gm) Ladyfingers or Puff Pastry Pretzels

Pinch of Cream of Tartar

In top of double boiler, beat together 5 egg yolks, 2 of the egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice and rind, cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Spoon into bowl, refrigerate until cool.

Whip cream until it holds its shape. Fold into cooled lemon mixture. Line sides of 8-inch buttered springform pan with ladyfingers. Spoon in lemon-cream mixture and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.

In separate bowl, beat remaining egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, gradually adding remaining sugar (1/4 cup) beating until soft peaks form.

Pile meringue on top of frozen lemon desert. Broil on bottom rack of oven until meringue is brown. --about 1 minute. Transfer again to freezer.

About 1 hour before serving transfer torte to refrigerator, or counter. remove sides of springform pan.

Makes about 12 servings.

Source: Canadian Living Christmas Cooking Dec. 1986.

Comments (6)