SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
more_to_grow

A 'proper ' Greyhound home?

more_to_grow
17 years ago

Hello

I have something of a dilema and am interested in hearing some opinions and discussion on the topic.

My mother inlaw has some obsessive tendencies, she has taken a volunteer position at a local animal shelter, and as a result her home has been steadilly filling with animals. She has four children and 9 grandchildren many of whom are allergic to various of her animals.

She first adopted a large, retired, german sheperd female who was surrendered by a breeder who no longer wanted her as she was past her breeding years. She is a wonderful dog, very large in a small home, but it seemed to work out.

Next she adopted three cats, the surrendering owner indicated they must be adopted together, thus limiting the number of potential adoptive families (unrealistic request imho). They are nice cats, again in a small house but she loves them and it seemed to work.

Now she has adopted two greyhounds and this is where the dilemma occurs. The house is in lockdown because the hounds want to kill the cats. There was one close call, my mother inlaw scooped up the cat at the last second, and was scratched BADLY, requiring a trip to emergency room and stitches to close her up.

The yard is approximately 1/4 acre, the hounds are allowed to run for a time, until they begin *digging out* then they come back in to the entry way for the rest of the day/night. They are walked daily, but cannot come into the main house due to the cats. They spend their time in this entry way, the room now stinks, they have begun messing in there, they continually scratch at the doors, have ripped off the curtains, screens, and are trashing the place. She seems to be in denial that this is a bad situation.

To top it all off she travels, which means *we* have to come take care of her animals. She is demanding that they not be alone, so we must come live at her house while she is away. The feeding regimen is ridiculous: 1/2 cup of this, 1/4 can of that, 2 of these treats at this time, 3 of these cookies at this time, put the cats in the basement, let in the dogs, walk the dogs, put them out, let up the cats feed them, and on and on and on. The hounds are able to open doors, want the cats desperately, and are always seeking an opportunity to get them. Noone goes to visit any longer because it is like a zoo there; a shame too cause all the grandchildren used to love going there, we all feel slighted in this.

Now she has foster kittens, two birds, a lizard.

I refuse to be a party to this lunacy any longer, I feel the hounds need to go, she says she committed to keeping them forever and I call BS. Those hounds do not belong in that situation, if the folks in charge of adoption knew the situation I don't believe they would have approved her adoption of the dogs.

Sorry so long winded, tough to give a full picture with less description.

Any thoughts? Am I nuts? Perhaps I should buck up and pull my weight and shutup?

Comments (19)

Sponsored