SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

More on food and joint pain/arthritis

alisande
15 years ago

I used to wonder what caused my flare-ups of pain in my hips and knees. Lately, I've been more likely to wonder what caused a good day. My joint pain has gotten a lot worse, to the point where I've been quite concerned about it. As many of you know, pain is exhausting and can be depressing, too.

I posted recently about my experience with foods containing solanine, and how eating okra and artichokes gave me some very unpleasant neurological symptoms. That got me thinking about the possibility that other foods could be contributing to my joint pain. So I went looking online (of course) for information.

I discovered that a lot of research has been done on the relationship of food to arthritis. Certain foods have been incriminated over and over. These include corn, wheat, cow's milk, pork, oranges, oats, rye, eggs, beef, coffee, malt, cheese, grapefruit, lemon, tomato, peanuts, and soy. They are said to cause arthritis in a great many people.

I've been eating most of those, except for milk, cheese, rye, malt, tomatoes, coffee, and oranges. A few years ago I discovered that oranges increase my joint pain, but I continued to eat grapefruit regularly. Of the foods on the list, I was eating grapefruit and peanuts (or peanut butter) every day, so I gave them up.

Can you guess the rest of the story? After three days, I feel much better. It could be coincidence, of course, but I have the strong feeling that it's not. I'm passing this along because I know many other KTers have joint pain. Maybe it would help to look at what you're eating.

Good luck!

Susan

Comments (13)