SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Please help my parents get past a 25 year impasse

treasuretheday
12 years ago

My 77 year old parents have lived in the same 1920's farm house for the past 43 years. For at least the past 25 years, they have had an unfinished project that I now realize has caused them considerable disagreement. Back in the mid-80's, they had replaced a wall mounted natural fireplace with a three-sided fireplace. They covered the chimney with plywood until they could decide what to do with it. Apparently, they not only can't decide but they aren't even close to agreement.

Here is the source of their angst:

(Of course, there isn't usually a Christmas tree in the corner(!) The chandelier was hanging there in preparation for installation in the adjacent dining room so, if possible, please ignore that.)

They have been planning to tile the lower third of the chimney and try to put matching paneling on the top two thirds but my mom hasn't found anything that she likes to go with the knotty pine paneling. The paneling has yellowed quite a bit through the years and it really is a pretty ugly golden shade now, far worse than the pictures show. If it were up to her, she would paint the paneling. My dad could not disagree more. He doesn't love the yellow shade of the paneling but there is no way he'd consider painting it. He just wants to do something to get the project completed.

I found someone who is confident that the paneling (which is very high quality) can be restained to a color of their choice and would do this within a budget that my parents can live with. This seems like the ideal solution for my parents. Now, if they can just decide what to do about the fireplace, they will be able to choose a stain color!

Here is a wider shot of the room, which is an eclectic clutter of furniture:

My parents are not planning a total makeover of the room but are finally (finally!) going to install carpet, replace the curtains and paint some of the window trim. They want to keep the beams and ceiling fans. I don't know if I'll be able to persuade them to thin out the excess furniture but I'll definitely be trying!

This is a long narrow room (16' x 25') and with lots of natural light. There are long walls of the Pella windows with built-in blinds and stained wood trim. The windows at the end of the room have painted frames and there are French doors leading into the room from the dining room which will also need to be painted.

I told my mom about Garden Web and how helpful and creative its members are so she's pretty excited about hearing your input.

Any suggestions for materials, colors, etc for their fireplace would so appreciated! Would you suggest a mantel? If so, what type and where? Any other suggestions for the room are welcome (although at their age and with their frugal nature, I'm not sure that they would make buying new furniture a priority!)

Thanks very much!!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH