SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judy01238

Oil metal primer on lightly rusted metal and latex stain?

judy01238
15 years ago

Am interested in staining angle irons on a deck with Cabot latex solid color evergreen stain. Lightly sanded rust from the metal so just a little rust left. Stained the metal and next AM rust coming through and probably most of what I sanded off was back! Either the stain didn't have enough time to dry before the night air hit it and/or the latex stain on bare metal was the problem.

After much research, sounds like I should have used a metal primer. Can I use Rustoleum Stops Rust Clean Metal Primer that I have tinted grey. It is an oil base but only comes in white. Then, can I use the Cabot latex evergreen stain over the oil base grey primer? I was told green would go over grey better than over white primer and then I can stain with the Cabot solid color latex evergreen stain.

Also, some of the angle iron never rusted, so it has a layer of green latex solid stain in spots and I also put a fresh coat of the latex stain on it recently. Will the oil primer go over the latex stain so I can prevent rusting in the future and then I'll put another layer of latex stain over the primer?

When this is done, I am planning on staining the deck with Cabot semi-solid evergreen oil base deck stain but first, I need to address the rusty metal issue.

Thanks for your help.

Judy

Comment (1)