SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamaraz_gw

Help!! Am I putting up too much moulding?

jamaraz
14 years ago

Hi. I have a contractor starting on my house tomorrow. I have classic center hall colonial with 8 foot ceilings. Because I can't change my ceiling height, I am trying to dress up my home as much as possible. I am putting crown moulding in my living room, dining room and family room. I am breaking through the wall between my living room and family room and putting some sort of columns in the 10 foot opening (not sure what yet). My dining room will also have a chair rail.

I'm o.k. with the above rooms but I have concerns with my hallway. I am planning on putting raised panels in the hall and up the stairs. I will top it off with crown around the ceiling. I am sure it will look beautiful but I am afraid it is a heavy look. With 8 foot ceilings should I be putting crown in the hallway? Also, directly across from my front door is my downstairs powder room. I am planning on putting wainscoting in the bathroom. The raised paneling will lead directly into the bathroom. The door to the bathroom is always left open by my kids. Is this too much?

What do you think? I would post pictures but nothing is put up yet.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022