SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Different Roasting Method? With Not A Grain Of Salt.

Recently there have been a few discussions about roasting chicken and turkey.

High heat, low heat, dry brine, wet brine, salt, marinate, herb under the skin, spatchcock, plaster with butter, inject with secrete flavoring --------.

I decided to roast one without add anything, just chicken, not even pepper, with not even a grain of salt. Just a pure experiment in cooking thermal dynamics.

The chicken was not store pre-soaked. The only thing I did to it was to remove the bag of giblets and some extra fat. I never truss a chicken or turkey. Trussing produces soggy anemic skin and uncooked meat.

The chicken went into the sous vide cooker at 155 F for 5 hours, then into the dehydrator set at 150 F for 5 hours. While I was pre-heating the oven, the chicken was put into the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Once the oven got to be 550 F, I removed the kitchen's smoke alarm, turned on the exhaust fan, and put the chicken into the oven to roast.

Turning the bird a couple of times, it took about 5 minutes and the experiment was finished.

There was no need to rest the chicken with sous vide cooking. Uniformly juicy and tender meat is a given with sous vide cooking.

Like the golden fragile layer on a perfect creme brulee, the skin turned out to be so shatteringly crispy, even handling the chicken gently cracked the skin in a few places.

A simple quick dipping sauce was all needed to enjoy this perfectly pure poultry pleasure.

dcarch

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)