SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frenchman_gw

Q. on support for a 3 cm marble slab (my fab. won't deliver)

frenchman
14 years ago

Hi,

My countertops were supposed to be made during my vacation and installed today. However, when I returned, I found a voicemail from my fabricator saying that they do not want to fabricate what they said they were going to. I am trying to understand why and see what options I have (including using another fabricator).

My slabes are 3 cm white Carrara, honed. My cabinets are Ikea, i.e. frameless cabinets. The cabinets are on 6 1/4 legs. I have a peninsula with a 15" overhang for sitting.

The fabricator initially won the bid by saying that they would route grooves inside the marble slab to put steel bars for supporting the overhang. The steel bars are 3/8" thick and a couple inches wide. The cabinets cannot be routed because they are frameless.

The company now says that they do not want to do this because they're worried that (in the order they told me):

- The steel bars would be visible through the stone. That really, really surprises me. I have a 1 cm marble table and I can put whatever I want under it, it does not show, even brightly lit. The fabricator's rep says they are worried that the epoxy used to glue the supports can seep inside the marble and change its characteristics and make it translucent. Okay, I don't know anything about epoxy but I've had marble repaired with it and it didn't seem to do that. Is that a possibility?

- They are worried to break the slab, and because they guarantee it, they don't want to install it or even fabricate it (afraid it'd break while being routed). That guarantee is getting in my way: they already forced a seam in the middle of my sink cutout because it is big (45" long), even though the installer was not worried about that.

I am thinking that the second reason, which took me about an hour to hear, is the main reason why they don't want to do the job I paid for. But I want to be sure before contacting someone else... Is the first issue a real issue (the transparency/visibility of the support), or not?

They offered to build a steel frame under the slab, put it on top of the cabinets and then put the slab on it. The problem with that is that it adds yet another 1/2" (well, 3/8" according to them) of height to my countertops which are as high as I wanted to go already, and even a bit higher, and that then the frame needs to be hidden, given a different look than on the other side of the kitchen which doesn't require support.

I am really bummed. Is there someone here who has a kitchen with a marble slab supported with routed-in steel supports, or something that does not need more height? I'd love to get some data on what has been done, and see if I can work with my fabricator on this.

Thanks!

Comments (4)