SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

While you're at it, your 2 cents on new drapes

KevinMP
11 years ago

I'm getting new drapes tomorrow for my bedroom. I currently have two different styles of brown velvet (because they discontinued the one style, one is more of a regular velvet, and the other is a little knappy). They don't really match, although they're close. I'm going to go with something else (plain, however). I was thinking of navy (no pleats). What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 20:13

Comments (129)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Ok.......I'll be the odd man out on this, but I'm not liking 'those' sheers with everything else. The sheers are lovely but I feel they don't work in that room. With the blinds, mullions, textured sheers, and now the fringe, there's just a lot of busy going on with the windows. IMO they give a more country feel than the other items........except for the quilt.

• madtown_2006_gw
    11 years ago

I'm really bummed that I can't see any of these pictures! I'm dying to see that trim! Ha!

• Related Discussions

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (149)
    hope everyone has their power back soon!
    ...See More

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Q

Comments (150)
    One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said "Didn't you see the stop sign?". I said "Yes, but I don't believe everything I read". Steven Wright
    ...See More

Five Newbies - Gimme Your 2 Cents

Q

Comments (11)
    Shadow - my sympathies...just like you a lot of us that have been touched by tragedy own this beautiful plant. I started a memorial collection a couple of years ago in memory of a brother and sister of mine. Remember Me, Mary Marie Ann... Remember Me - this link shares information about how this hosta was named and for whom.
    ...See More

Quote for Bathroom Reno - Give me your 2 Cents

Q

Comments (28)
    We're in expensive suburban Boston territory and after reading these posts, I feel positively over-the-moon now with our $30-32K bids for a master bath ADDITION. Thru our architect we have 3 from top gen contractors. It includes relocating our meter, gas lines & misc complications in the basement. I cannot believe the prices I'm hearing for this stuff. We're getting an addition for an "average master bath remodel" price of $30K++? $1600 for painting a bath?? $6K for demo/tiling a standard alcove tub/shower? I'd love to track the hours and figure out that hourly rate. Elsaduty....The estimate seems neither that high or low to me. Everything is sooo regional, in fact micro-regional as you know. 25 miles out from a major city can drastically reduce rates....that's been our exp. Compared to the crazy prices I'm hearing here, it appears you're not getting ripped off anyway! Have you gotten several bids or just 1? The toughest part is going to be acting as your own GC if you're inexperienced with construction. As mentioned, co-ordination/communication between various contractors ( and you) on how things should be or are done could be tricky and expensive if mistakes have to be corrected. We're pretty exp'd DIY remodelers over 30 yrs and try to anticipate each and every issue that can possibly arise but even with that sometimes you get bitten in the butt! Yes, check refs! Several. We have friends who got royally screwed by a contractor (who the DH considered to be a friend no less) and had to remodel the remodel! VERY expensive.
    ...See More
  • KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry. I was smacked down by Photobucket for exceeding bandwidth, so I had to upgrade. I am seeing all but a few that don't matter.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I don't have an opinion on the curtain colors because your room color reads differently from one picture to the next on my monitor. My comment has nothing to do with your selection, but it's not a total non sequitor since you're all talking about fringe. I saw this picture on houzz the other day, and I thought it was very clever how they combined this red toile fabric with carpet tape. I just wanted to share it, since it's an informal way to add trim to a curtain.

Here is a link that might be useful: [curtains[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/guestroom-eclectic-bedroom-phvw-vp~51936)

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Kevin, don't get me wrong...I love all of the fabrics, but the chair and dust ruffle are very dark and masculine looking, whereas the quilt looks as though it belongs in a country cottage. I just don't see it relating to the other fabrics. I think it would relate better if the background color were not white, but a darker color. I actually thought it was fine until you put the bedskirt on. Seeing both fabrics back to back is what's throwing me off.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With flash and without

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • lkplatow
    11 years ago

I agree that the quilt is off. If you don't mind taking a chance, I would tea-dye it (or do the RIT dye equivalent) to darken it slightly and take the edge off that bright white. I think it would blend much better that way. I did that once to a Pottery Barn duvet color that was in a similar red-and-white color scheme. The original reminded me too much of my high school's football uniforms, but once dyed, it looked much better.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

oops.... sorry, thought the bedskirt was a new addition and you were asking for opinions! i think the chair looks really great with everything in the room, but with the quilt right on top of it and the rug right underneath, the bedskirt doesn't have the same appeal... to me at least!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Moved down to bottom.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 10:32

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

I also can't see the majority of your pictures, but the ones that I did see I liked the adjustment of your curtain rod as well as the removal of the center panel. I think the layering of the WTs is just fine as in a bedroom, getting the just right balance of privacy and light control is so impt. and you have a lot of windows there. Still not much in favor of using the trim on the WTs, I'd prefer a more understated look since you already have so many beautiful items in the room. I love the tartan chair!

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Love the Stickley pieces. How great to have one of a kind side chest made just for you! Cannot wait to see the entire room! How long till they all arrive?

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the first pair. I still have to move everything up about 2 inches or so, but it'll give you an idea (assuming Photobucket is working again).

{{!gwi}}

• User
    11 years ago

Photobucket is still not working. What's wrong with them, I want to see your curtains!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's weird because I can see some of the pictures on here, but not others, and with my iPhone, I see others that I cannot see here. Who the hell knows what they're doing over there. Any company that has to post a comment about there being problems and not knowing how to fix them is honest, but a little bizarre. And I paid $29 to upgrade to limitless bandwidth, and it's still happening (and no word of a pro-rata discount). Jerks.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the first pair. I still have to move everything up about 2 inches or so, but it'll give you an idea:

• User
    11 years ago

Kevin, I honestly don't know if it is the flash that's distorting the colors or my iPad, but I don't think you've hit on the magic color combination here as you have done in your other rooms. The cream color of these curtains is very saturated, as all velvet colors seem to be because the fabric is so dense. That effect sort of fights with the net curtains. The fringe doesn't complement the curtain color, it becomes yet another disparate element fighting for attention. Each individual piece and texture is lovely--- the furniture, wall color, chair, quilt, bed skirt, and so on--- but it doesn't come together as a pleasing, harmonious whole. I think I know what look you are seeking and you are not there yet.

I have never in my life recommended someone paint a room white, but I think a neutral off white/oyster might be a better foil here for your other elements. If you did that, a muted sage or darker green velvet would probably work for the curtains and set off the chair, quilt and bedskirt. I would also hem the sheers and weight them along the bottom and have your curtains clear the floor as well.

That's 3cents from me :-)

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't really see what you're saying about the colors and flighting between the sheer colors and the velvet. Also, the trim definitely works well with this velvet and the rest of the room. It's likely something that is better in person.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

So you have the gold, the red, the blue, white, and the brown of the wood. I prefer the gold velvet drapes with the trim over the others previously shown or suggested. I think I might like sheers in a similar gold tone rather than white but the white color is used in several other places in the room: the ceiling, the quilt, the lamp.
    So mission accomplished, Kevin.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The sheers are actually ivory, but during the day, they seem more white because of the light, I suppose.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I love the way Ralph Lauren mixes patterns, but if you will notice, he usually repeats elements at least three times and when he uses strong patterns with high contrast, they are usually an accent, not the whole top of the bed. I think if you added two Euro-sized pillows covered in shams made from some version of the blue and green plaid, that would help balance your color story. You could also fold down the top of the quilt so that not quite so much of that pattern is visible. Alternatively, you could fold a navy blanket at the foot of the bed, again to reduce the overall impact of the red and white pattern.

I think you know you have a good eye and are confident with your choices. I also know that standing in a room is quite different than seeing pictures. Earlier, I made a comment about thinking that the chair didn't fit with your scheme. At that time, I didn't know that you had repeated the chair's pattern on the bed skirt.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

The thing that's bothering me the most is when I look at the room as a whole, it's the stark whiteness of the comforter and it's bold pattern that jumps out at me. If the comforter color were toned down a bit, your other elements would be more noticable. I feel that the comforter competes with the lovely, more subtle elements that you have going on.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun2BHere, I saw your comment before, but I didn't respond because I already have RL plaid Euroshams in a different pattern on the bed. The issue is more that I need a duvet, which will allow me to fold the guilt up at the bottom of the bed (I'll still use it in the summer), but I cannot find one that I like.

And, as I've said before, the quilt is not white. It's cream, which matches the trim in the room. I think dying the comforter would be fine if I thought it'd turn out right, but I don't.

• User
    11 years ago

I guess this just comes down to a matter of taste because I dont think the trim and curtains work together at all. The most i can say is that the curtain color is one of the trim threads.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Well, nuts. Once again, I couldn't see the whole picture to tell that you had Euros on the bed, although I will say that I would still prefer Euros made from a similar fabric as the bed skirt. There are a few pieces of fabric on eBay of that general blue/navy plaid that could be used to make Euro shams.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I agree with Fun that I'd make euros from a fabric similar to the bedskirt. The way I see it, your bed's 'dressing' looks so random. I just don't see all of the fabrics relating to each other. Also, I wouldn't put the trim on the curtains as it just looks like you're trying too hard and it's too fussy for your bedroom.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Too late for the trim. I'm doing it. It's only fussy if you think of it that way. I don't. I think it makes it look finished. The euros that came with that collection aren't plaid, unfortunately, and I'm not going to add yet another plaid. I'll wait to see what I do with a duvet.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

I like the chair, the drapes with trim, and the check shams- soft gold, navy, and dark green with a touch of red are so beautiful together and so RL. But right from the beginning the quilt, sheers and even the lampshade in white (ok, cream) just threw the whole room off for me. The quilt would be fine folded at the end of the bed but not as prominent as it is now. Even if it is RL it draws the eye from everything else that truly look Lauren and is too stark. Just my opinion for what it's worth. There's some reason you with all your great decor skills can't get this room right.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not keeping that lampshade if I keep the lamp. I'm trying to find one of the blue and white ones at a local Homegoods, but the only ones I have found have flowers. There are better ones on eBay because people but them and resell them. If I keep it, the shade will change. Why they put a white shade on a cream lamp I'll never know.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have any of you tried dying something in a front load washing machine? I'm afraid to ruin my machine and do not have a utility sink or anything else I could use. I suppose I could go to a laudromat...

I'm still nervous about it. The only RIT I can find is yellow or tan. I think the tan is the way to go, but what will it do to the red?

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I can't imagine trying to dye a perfectly nice quilt when you have no idea how the fabric will take the dye or what the result will look like.

Have you thought about a simple cream linen for the drape? Something lighter weight like that would add a nice texture and might be nice with the quilt as well as the sheers which IMO aren't a good pairing with the heavier velvet (especially with fringe).

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Now that you have a new hosting site, can you repost the pics of the room that show the overall room including all the elements in question .... curtains, bedskirt, quilt, etc.

If you were planning on adding a duvet anyway (so the quilt will just be folded at the foot of the bed and less prominent), I would recommend doing that before committing to dying it. In my opinion anyway!

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The drapes with fringe are staying. I tried linen. None of the colors worked and they all looked too frumpy and casual for the furniture. And light colors didn't look good with the paint color or the rug.

I doubt I'll dye the quilt. I'm fine with it as it is, but I do agree that it would be better if the white/cream color were more on the cream side.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Call me crazy, but what do you think of this. I don't really get the stripe RL paired it with, but I've seen it in person before, and it's nice. But it's loud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PC-RALPH-LAUREN-POET-SOCIETY-RUG-KING-DUVET-SET-WITH-SHAMS-NEW-930-MSRP-/230926145367?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&hash=item35c4455757

• lkplatow
    11 years ago

I dyed mine using RIT tan in a big rubbermaid tub outside. The water is supposed to be hot so I tried filling the tub with pots of water from the stove but it kind of cooled off while I was filling the tub so the dye didn't go in that strong - it didn't do much of anything to the red and just took the white from stark to kind of a vintage-been-sitting-in-grandmas-attic kind of yellowed white. But again, I did it in a tub, and I pulled some of the duvet cover out every minute or so to check it because I was afraid it would get too dark.

With dye, though, you do never know. So I would recommend erring on the cautious side.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

The quilt is beautiful and while I think a tea-dyed look would offer a softer appearance I would only dye the quilt if I could replace it in the event the outcome is not what you like.

Commercially finished fabrics may not take the dye evenly. If you had a sham in the same fabric then you could test it.

In any case you might want to read this thread about dying items at home.

Here is a link that might be useful: dying fabric

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I wouldn't try to dye it. If the container isn't large enough for the quilt to fully open up, some of the areas may never come in contact with the dye and it'll come out splotchy. This is first hand knowledge.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

My reaction to your last picture of the curtains - they are a great look with your wall color and the furnishings in that picture (chair, dresser, also the rug). I probably would not have thought to have had fringe added, but it seems to work nicely. Like others, I question the sheers but if you say they're ivory, then they're ivory. :)

However, I also agree with people who think the white of the quilt is too stark relative to everything else. But, like you, I'd be leery of trying to dye it. Someone suggested folding it down at the end of the bed - I like that idea. How about the folded quilt on top of a blanket or coverlet with a background color of one of the room's major colors, and with some red in it to pick up the red in the quilt? What do you think of that idea?

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

That poet society set is lovely. I wouldn't really say it is loud, but then again I like bright things. It is heavy. Like really really heavy. I love a nice fluffy down comforter and how they work in hot and cold weather. That particular RL one negates the pro's of a down comforter.

I have a king size one in my closet. :) It did not work for me. I loved it in my room. Loved it on the set of White Collar. Did not love actually using it.

I don't think I would love it with your rug either.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I find window treatments one of the most challenging elements in a room to get right. And its hard to imagine until its up there sometimes. Have you tried a deeper but muted gold? It seems if you are thinking about changing other elements of the room to go with the drapes, then the drapes are not the right ones.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I like the idea of trying the quilt folded at the end of the bed and adding a coverlet in a solid. But then again, I like the look of layered bedding.

Not your colors - but I just love this look:

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Since I happen to have some of the fabrics you are contemplating, I thought I would post this picture. You can see the RLL skating party plaid beside RLL Poet's Society against an oriental rug. I think my rug colors may be a little deeper than yours, but...for your consideration...

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fu2BHere, what else are you hiding? I think they look pretty good togoether, but I still think it's a bit much for the duvet (and for my own tastes) and that something monochromatic would be fine, perhaps in a gold color. Are you hording things and reselling them on eBay?

To repeat, as to the drapes, they're staying. They are at the seamstress now. The first pair, hung above, are already sewn. I can always remove the fringe down the road, but I think I'm going to like it overall.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

LOL! No hoarding here...I own a few select pieces that feature red and navy because I've been using that combination for a long time. I agree with you that the Poet's Society duvet would probably be an overwhelming pattern in your room. I think you are on the right track choosing a solid color duvet to tone down some of the pattern in the room, but I still vote for Euros to match your bed skirt. I really think you need to tie that blue/green plaid together a bit better. I like your choice of draperies and fringe as I mentioned on that thread. I'm looking forward to seeing them in place.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Glad you are keeping the drapes and the fringe. maybe add one small pillow of the plaid matching your chair to the bed. Coverlet would be nice in a great off white, something by Ralph that comes from one of the collections you already have.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

If you can't find a duvet that you like it's very easy to sew one from 2 king size sheets. It's obvious that you have a keen eye for decorating but perhaps you haven't had the time to master sewing 101. A duvet isn't much more than an oversize pillowcase. In any case if you find RL sheets that you like - or any other for that matter - any seamstress, upholsterer, or drapery fabricator could create a duvet and shams.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maire, I don't do anything like that myself (let alone sewing). I will install anything, but lack any skill for other tasks.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Ah - but you excel in those areas. Just remember that if you stumble across a fabric that fits your needs it can be crafted into a duvet, coverlet or even a full bedspread. While king size sheets are the easiest due to their overall size even regular cloth cut from a bolt of fabric can be used.

We had a quilted coverlet made from a Schumacher fabric based on a historic pattern from the Stencil House at the Shelbourne Museum. The coverlet was sewn with 3 layers - the top layer was the stencil pattern, then a layer of batting and the bottom was a solid that complemented the background color of the stencil. The entire coverlet was then machine quilted outlining the rose and leaf design of the fabric.

Since I think you're looking for a solid color duvet 'm sure you'll find exactly the right bed covering without having to resort to having one mad. But it can be done if necessary.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Ruelala.com has curtain panels and rods featured today 03/05 starting at 3 p.m. ET. I don't know if there will be any hardware that would work for you, but I thought I'd mention the sale for your consideration.