SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Did switching to induction increase your utility bills?

kaysd
13 years ago

I have been debating the pros and cons of induction versus gas and am having a difficult time making up my mind. An induction cooktop would be easier to clean, probably safer with 2 small children, would be cooler to cook on in the summer, and would look sleeker in a modern kitchen. A gas range or cooktop would cost less to purchase, I am used to and like cooking with gas, and I have an extensive and expensive collection of cookware that is not induction compatible. Last week, DH took a look at our huge electric bill and pretty small gas bill, and decided using a 50 amp induction cooktop must be more expensive than a gas unit, given the relative costs of the two types of energy. He decided that was a good enough reason to go with gas rather than induction since I was having a hard time deciding.

I have read that induction is more energy efficient than gas or electric coils because less heat is "lost" to the atmosphere. In pure dollars to the consumer, I wonder if that increased efficiency offsets the higher cost of electricity versus gas. For those of you who switched from induction to gas, did your electric bills go up or down?

Comments (3)