SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

How do you keep your utility bills costs down?

yeonassky
6 years ago

According to a program I just listened to on our CBC here in Canada we are supposed to spend less than 6% on our utility bills. So if you make 5000 a month, let's say, that would be around $83. I think I did the math right. We pay twice the 6% amount for both utility bills combined. We have a busy household of 4 working adults. With the attending hot water use from showers and every meal cooked here on a daily basis. No getting around that with my diet needs.

There is good insulation in our house. We have double paned windows but do not have plastic on them. We have very good management of the heat we only have it on in the evening for the most part from 4:30 p.m. on except on weekends. We cook with an induction stove or use the microwave to shorten our cooking time. We also turn off our computers and unplug things so we aren't leaking electricity like a sieve when not in use.

We paid 4 times the 6% amount at our old small very leaky house. This is a step up but it's always a really good idea to keep as much money in pocket as possible.

Not sure what else we could do to get the cost down. All the things she listed we pretty much have except for the plastic shrink-wrap on the windows.

What do you do to keep your utility costs down? She did talk about programs for low income people and homeowners but now that we have an adequate income for the first time and hopefully for the rest of our lives we are exempt from most of them. Plus we are not home owners we're renters. Thanks.

Comments (37)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio