SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

New house! Pink living room? Black doors? Questions!

theclose
11 years ago

Hi All,

I have posted in other forums on here but this is my first question in the Home Decorating forum. Love all the great info I have read so far.

We are purchasing our first home and I am looking forward to decorating! I would like to get a little input. The home is a center hall colonial, built in 1936. I am not afraid of color - in fact, I love bold colors! My current dining/living rooms are BM Stem Green. My bedroom is BM Middlebury Brown. Son's room is BM Bird's Egg. I am not a taupe/tan/ivory person. We are painting the entire interior of the home. Trim will be BM Simply White.

First: interior doors. I am slightly obsessed with the notion of painting all interior doors a high gloss black. Absolutely love the look. I think it will look sassy! Here is the dilemma...

I want to paint the living room pink. BM Bridal Pink. Here is our inspiration pic:

{{!gwi}}

In our living room there are two french doors - one to the sunroom and one to the breakfast area/kitchen. Will pink and black look too, I don't know, much? I am having a hard time picturing it in my head. This is the only room in which I am having issues with the black doors. Here is a pic of our new living room (from a walk through with current owners' belongings):

{{!gwi}}

You can see one of the French doors on the left. That goes to the breakfast area/kitchen. The other door to the sunroom is at the other end of the room, opposite wall.

The only doors on the main level are the front door, the entry closet door, a swinging door b/w the kitchen and dining room and these two French doors. The entryway is going to be Farrow & Ball striped wallpaper. Here is a pic of an entryway with the same paper:

{{!gwi}}

Black & white with a subtle platinum metallic stripe. To the right is the living room, so, pink. To the left is the dining room. Thinking gray. I love BM Stonington Gray (currently in my kitchen), but I might go a shade or two darker, like BM Coventry Gray. The dining room also has a chair rail. Should I paint that Simply White as well? Black? Same color above and below?

So, yes to the black doors? Yes to the Bridal Pink? Other suggestions, questions, comments?

Appreciate the assistance!

Maggie

Comments (28)