SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

I'm totally blown away by people's generosity (longish story)

nicole_ont
15 years ago

I don't know if any of you remember about the Iranian family I wrote about last year. We became friends with them, I guess 2-ish years ago now, through the kids' church club and a French class that both Sophie and their son were attending. She has 3 kids, all roughly the same age as mine.

The woman left Iran to come here and marry him (arranged marriage) 7 years ago. He had been in Canada for 5 years already.

She left him last year, but not for very long. She ended up going back. I didn't know her well enough to get the whole story back then.

Turns out he was extremely abusive and controlling and he has severe mental illnesses, but she felt stuck. Her English is not teriffic. She didn't know what resources were available to her, and she wasn't able to get the help she needed to take care of herself and her kids when she left him last year, so she went back. She didn't feel she had an option.

Well a couple of months ago she called me from the hospital and said that she had left him and asked for help. The hospital staff (a nurse and a counsellor) talked to me and gave me a little background of what she had been through and sort of interviewed me, I guess to see what sort of place she'd be going to.

They stayed here at our house for a few days and then moved into a shelter. The shelter had counsellors, daycare (she has 3 kids), a lawyer, etc. who have all helped her tremendously. She applied for social assistance and got approved for assisted housing. After 6 weeks in the shelter, she now has a home for her and the kids. Yay! BUT, the house is empty.

Claude and I went there on Sunday, and it's a lovely house, but there is absolutely nothing in it. We got a pad and paper and together wrote a list of what she would need to start off. I said "Okay, you'll need beds". She says "Just for the kids - I don't mind sleeping on the floor". She's like that. She's truly one of the most selfless people I've ever met. She is so sweet and kindhearted. And what a strong woman. She really is amazing.

Anyhow, I went home and posted a very basic background (less than I told here) on Freecycle and said that anything would be appreciated.

Well as of today, 2 days later, we have lined up absolutely everything she'll need to furnish her home. We picked up loads of stuff on Sunday evening and all day yesterday, and it's all great stuff - nice and in super condition. We're picking up loads more over the next few days, and going to help her set it all up on Saturday. She bawled when I told her what we had gathered. The response of the Freecyclers was absolutlely overwhelming. We had to turn down considerably more than we accepted. She'll now have all kitchen appliances, table and chairs, couch and loveseat, coffee table and end tables, a washer and dryer, beds, a crib, dressers, bookshelves, dishes, cutlery, bedding, new pillows, lamps, a computer desk and a good computer, decorative plants, rugs, tvs, dvd players, baby swing, boxes of food and grocery gift certificates, a vacuum, broom, mop, cleaning supplies, highchair, bikes, toys, clothes, on and on and on. It's unbelievable.

I have been totally blown away, and just wanted to share the story of people's kindness.

:)

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor