SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris_bulb

Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.

iris_bulb
10 years ago

My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish. They were from around 1980 and they had a very natural, minimally stained finish. Well to update the kitchen, I recently painted the cabinets bright white, and they look fantastic. :-)

The problem is, I did not sand or prime the cabinets before I started painting. I worked very, very hard, taking all the cabinets off, removing the hinges, putting 3-4 coats on both sides of the cabinets and the frames. spray painting the hinges, reattaching the cabinets, and installing new knobs. I am exhausted from this job.

Now I discover that the paint gets knicked easily and when it does it peels and separates very easily from the wood. I am so annoyed by this, and of course mainly annoyed with myself for not realizing how important sanding and priming are to a job like this. I always cynically thought those extra steps were kind of unnecessary, just a silly ploy for hardware stores to 'upsell' and make people buy more products. But my easily peeling paint makes me think my mistake was not sanding & priming...

I just used regular wall paint for this job, in 'satin' or semi-gloss.'
I'm really upset. I am here to ask what I can do to help reinforce the paint on the cabinets, how I can make the paint less vulnerable to knicks and peeling. Stripping the paint off and starting from scratch is not an option. I am worried because I will be selling this condo soon and the new owner's fingernail is going to come into contact with the paint when they go to pull the knob, and it's going to slice a big chunk of paint right off. Ugh...Surely there is some product or method (maybe applying heat from a blow drier??) that I can do to help the paint harden and adhere, or at least be less vulnerable at the surface?

Your advice, insight, and help would be much appreciated.

Comments (52)