SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Sofas: Looking For Your Opinions, Please

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

The leather sofa in our family room is very ready to be replaced. Although it was a good sofa, made in Italy of good leather, it's only lasted about 10-12 years before the leather on the seat cushions thinned out and then we got a 3" tear there. The rest of it is looking very bad, as well, despite using good quality Leather Honey conditioner on it.

We found several up in Taos, made by Legacy Leather in Canada (Toronto?). We like that they're not made in China. They also look and feel like a very good quality piece. DH refuses to buy anything made in China, because you can never count on the quality. Is that an understatement or what???

Yesterday I looked at some leather sofas, but am not sure where they're made or the overall long-term quality. Two were made by Spectra and one by Bernhardt. The saleswoman raved about the Spectra's "sinuous" rather than 8-way hand-tied spring system. Of course, this gal wants to sell me a sofa, so I take her info and then look to you all for hands-on advice ;^D

So, will you give me your personal opinions, etc. on the quality of sofas these days? I'd really appreciate any and all info as we'd like to order a new sofa this month while the sales are going.

BTW: what I'm looking for is a very good quality leather sofa; between 78-91 inches long; good support; very good quality leather; in a classic style with the option of adding nail-head trim; not too low to the ground; no fabric cushions on leather; in one of the classic dark brown colors; built to last for 20 years; hopefully less than $4,000.00. I have a pic below of a Bernhardt leather sofa that I like the looks of, although it's too long at 100". I'm not looking for any Contemporary looking sofa.

Questions:

1) What manufactures (of leather and/or fabric upholstered sofas do you consider put out very good quality pieces?

2) Any opinions/experience with manufacturers you would NOT recommend?

3) What sofa companies still have factories in the States or Canada, as opposed to being made in China or Mexico?

4) Your opinions on 8-way hand-tied versus sinuous springs?

5) Any experience with Legacy Leather Furniture? Bernhardt? Spectra?

I'm anxious to hear anything else you have to tell me about your own experience in buying leather furniture.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)