SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Chalkboard Paint - a few how to questions.

soonermagic
16 years ago

Hello. I'm in the process of chosing paint colors for new construction, custom build. I've read about chalkboard paint and would love to paint one full wall of our laundry/mudroom as a chalkboard. Have a few questions:

1. The walls have a hand applied sand texture - far from a smooth surface. Before I paint with chalkboard paint, do I need to have that one wall retextured as smooth? Common sense tells me yes, but wanted confirmation.

2. I want to do a custom color of chalkboard paint, but all the recipes I've found online are for very small quantities, and I've read that the homemade mix (i.e., adding grount and glaze to latex paint) dries quickly and is a real bugger to work with. Anyone here have experience in painting a large area with a custom-colored chalkboard? Should I just use the standard black? The floor is a multi-colored slate, so black won't look bad.

3. I also wanted to make it a magnetic chalkboard, but the paint rep at my local Sherwin Williams is trying to talk me out of it ... it's rather pricey and the rep says it doesn't work very well. Any contrary experience out there?

Thanks!

Comments (3)