SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendr_gw

A few questions about using Aura over various surfaces.

kendr
13 years ago

We will be repainting some interior rooms of my grandmother's house soon and I had a few questions about Benjamin Moore's Aura paint. We know and plan to do the prep routine as far as cleaning with TSP, sanding/deglossing etc. We would like to not have to prime where not necessary since it is already painted, but willing to go 2 coats of Aura on all surfaces.

1) For her previously painted drywall in an open living/kitchen (currently beige) we are planning on using 2 coats of Sherwood Green Aura Matte. Any reason for primer?

2) For "pre-primed" white MDF beadboard and trim going up around the bottom (from the big box stores) we planned 2 coats of "White" Aura -- Satin for the beadboard and Semi-gloss for the trim. Any reason to use primer or would this suffice (aka would the 2 coats aura stick to the pre-primed mdf stuff)? White over white here.

Any criticism on the sheen choices? Would Satin trim and Matte beadboard look better? I have no clue how shiny the Satin or Semi-gloss is in this line of paint or how much harder they are to work with, so any advice would be VERY helpful.

3) We're repainting the paneled doors and cabinets (also previously painted, white over white) with the same white, in a Semi-gloss. Too shiny or hard to work with? Is the satin more forgiving? We are not necessarily pros so want something easier to work with but I expect she wants her cabinets to have some shine.

Thank you for your time. We REALLY need the advice.

P.S. Is there a "clean" white that would go well with Sherwood Green (historic line) that would be better than just "White"? Or will Aura "white" still look good? Do I need something with a fancier name? ;)

Comments (8)