SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Think Small. Furnish A Camping Kitchen.

John Liu
13 years ago

This is for the small-minded among us. I need you to think small.

I have a Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia camper. Here is the kitchen.. Ok, that's not mine, but it looks the same.

You can see the available cooking appliances and storage. Two burner propane stove, a small sink with cold water and a drain, two top-opening storage boxes (about 1 cubic foot each), one very small drawer under the sink, one under-sink cabinet (a bit under 2 feet high and 1.5 feet wide), and one small refrigerator (about 1.5 cubic feet). I can briefly run smallish AC electrical devices, up to 800w, from the van battery.

Here's the question. What cookware, knives, tools, dishware, utensils would you furnish this kitchen with? What small appliances? What staples and pantry foods would you stock? Spices, seasonings? Vital sauces that don't need refrigeration? Remember how limited my space I have - kind of like a large suitcase. Would you install shelving, slide-outs, other modifications?

Now, when we go on trips, I bring a smallish (30 qt) cooler with the fresh food - meat, veg, dairy, butter, eggs, etc. But I hate having to pack and unpack the kitchen each time. I want to keep the kitchen stocked with everything else I'll need, but it has to fit in the very limited space available.

Cooking ambitions? I want to be able to cook as wide a range of breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes as possible. Soups, stews, stir-fries, saute, steamed dishes. I don't think I can bake unless there's a stovetop oven device. Mains and sides. For two adults (one marginally so) and two kids.

Small-minded people - help?

Comments (24)

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, from having a friend who lived in one of these, the first thing I would suggest outfitting it with is a tool/repair kit complete with lots of duct tape!

I have a portable camping kitchen, here's what's in it:
    1. Paper towel roll
    2. Wooden spoon, small flipper, rubber spatula, the curved kind, and a serving spoon with holes, a small one. I got the small utensils at the dollar store.
    2. A paring knife and a small buther type knife
    3. Can opener, a good one
    4. A colander
    5. A large frypan
    6. A large pot with a lid that fits the frypan too.
    7. A small pot. I use a small frypan with a collapsable handle for the lid on that one
    8. Plastic dishware and mugs
    9. A small dish soap container (biodegradable kind) and some small scrubbie sponges.
    10. A pot gripper and a hot pad
    11. A small cutting board I got at the dollar store
    12. A roll of biodegradable trash bags
    13. Hand sanitizer and some wet ones
    14. Small scissors. I used to have a cool jacknife with a lot of gizmos on it but I lost it. They are great!
    15. Wine opener, just the simple corkscrew kind.

That's pretty much it. I am a minimalist when camping because that's less dishes to wash. I even use "coffee bags" for coffee. Anything else I need I improvise. I use regular utensils for measuring, because I mostly know by eyeball how much a cup, half cup, etc. is. Same with TBLSP, etc.

For my food and supplies--coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix, etc. sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried onions, italian seasoning, chili powder, cinnamon, cider vinegar, a mixed oil (olive and soybean I think), some granola bars, instant oatmeal (which I only eat in a pinch) small plastic storage containers for food, two rolls of toilet paper in a plastic bag with a little trowel, fuel for the stove, bungee cords and rope, lots of matches, those fire starter thingies made of sawdust and wax or whatever, and now I have a portable grill! I doubles as a fire pit!! I need some long tongs but I haven't been able to find any I like.

They used to make natural style "cup o soups" which I had, but they don't make them anymore so I don't buy the other kind--too salty and with msg. But you might like to have some type of soupy stuff on hand. Can't miss with the little blue box mac and cheese and maybe a can of tuna. I've long ago raided my camping supplies for any edible food, I can't keep extra on hand anymore, times are lean. Plus, the stuff goes stale after a while. I just keep the containers in a big see thru plastic storage box and provision for each trip as I see fit. I also have a big gallon insulated jug for carrying water. They make plastic water jugs but the dang things get holes really easily. I have two quart size nalgene jars too. I use those more for hiking and backpacking. Oh yeah, I keep iodine tablets for emergency water treatment. But I must say I have never had to use them!

I have some waterproof bags with emergency warm clothes--wool socks, wool or polypro sweater, cotton turtleneck, khaki pants, flannel shirt. Also one of those ponchos in a bag. Oh, and a first aide kit for those inevitable cuts and burns.

That's all I can think of that is related to cooking. I know technically the clothes aren't related to cooking, but if I'm cold, I can't think about anything else!

When I'm on the road I eat simple--nuts and berries and a piece of cheese and bread with butter and I'm happy. I buy what's in season and available locally and splurge on the ingredients for a nice dinner now and again. My favorite is stir fry with instant brown rice, grilled corn and grilled local fish if I'm in MI. I'm not much use in th culinary dept., because a feast at my house is beans and rice.

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Back in the dark ages, 1967 to be exact, my first husband and I were getting ready to come back to the States after serving a tour of duty in Japan. We were able to order a VW camper from Germany through the PX and it was to arrive at the dock on the east coast shortly after we got back. The sink in ours was in a narrow cabinet behind the front passenger seat and there was another cabinet of the same size behind the driver's seat. There was also storage space under what folded out into a bed. Now, we didn't really boondock, but had the electric hookup on the driver's side. I remember I used an electric skillet that I cooked in and we must have had a coffee maker because I was a coffee nut. I can't even remember what I cooked in it other than eggs and bacon.

Now I have a 5th wheel and everything that will run on propane as well as plenty of storage space and a real fridge. However, I still try to stock mostly easy to fix food in addition to regular stuff. I like the tuna, chicken and salmon that come in the sealed foil packages. They last forever, store in a small space and can be used in a lot of different ways. Oh, they also have Spam slices in these foil packages. My husband takes all of these with him when he goes backpacking along with his super lightweight camping stove. You can also include some of the "sides" offered in the groceries. You know, the rice mixtures, the noodle mixtures and the potato mixtures that come in pouches. If you decide on any of the box mixes, like the mac and cheese, potatoes au gratin and others, if you get a FoodSaver, you can take the food out of the boxes and vacumn seal them. Just make sure you write directions on the sealed bags. Ramen cups are good as well. I took the Ramen mixture out of the cups and vacumn sealed each in a bag to later put in a cup and add boiling water to. DH took some of each of these items with him, broken down and sealed into individual meal sizes. Look through your grocery store and you'll find many things like this suitable to use for your purpose and not taking up a lot of room.

I agree with lpinkmountain on her items. You also might want to pick up those silver heat retaining blankets for each person in the camper. They look like shiney foil and are folded up to about the size of a deck of cards. You'll find them in the camping department of Wally World and the last time I bought some, they were about $2 each. Another thing you'll find there is a small, round plastic spice container with several sections in it for different spices. You can buy them already filled or an empty one and put your favorite spices in it. Don't forget a flashlight. I got some at Tractor Supply for $2 each that are about 4" long and use LEDs. Really great, handy and last a long time. We also have the headband LED lights. Really handy when you want to or have to keep your hands free.

My nephew and his wife just bought a pop-up camper and joined us for a 3 day camping weekend in September with their 6 year old son. His wife keeps much of the stuff they need in a plastic tub inside one of their little storage areas. They also carry a latte maker which is a luxury they enjoy. A cast iron skillet is a must for them. If you would have the room for cast iron, a skillet and a dutch oven would be so, so handy. You can even bake in the dutch oven.

If you have the $, you can get different appliances that operate off your lighter or charging port in your vehicle. Nice to have a crock pot like that to plug into a port and sitting in the sink cooking dinner for when you get to your campsite. Of course, you can alway buy an inverter and plug in a normal crock pot. They also have some appliances that operate off propane canisters. Check some of the sporting goods stores and truck stops for these two types of appliances.

I'm sure you'll get more suggestions, but you might want to deck out your camper for a test run and live in it in your driveway for a weekend and see what you need to add or eliminate. Happy camping!

• Related Discussions

First time furnishing a kitchen and desparate for advice!

Q

Comments (13)
    I didn't give you any advice.. sorry about that. I would check out Overstock.com. They seem to have a lot and the reviews are very helpful in choosing a good item. I'm definitely going to go there after my kitchen is done. If you give us some information on what kind of style you'd like, if you want table height seating or counter height (I love counter height, it's so much better for entertaining and easier to get in and out of, but maybe not for little kids), etc., that would help. Here's a 9 piece counter height set that might go with the style of the cabs.. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cafe-De-Lux-Counter-Height-9-piece-Dining-Set/2954125/product.html Here is a link that might be useful: More Overstock dining sets, sorted by highest ratings first
    ...See More

A small space kitchen is so small that it needs ...

Q

Comments (31)
    O.T. Do not disrespect or underestimate small kitchens. The original kitchens on my tract house street were horrible by current standards, but these twinsie little pullman kitchens with doors on both ends nevertheless allowed post-WWII moms to make family meals from scratch, can and freeze garden produce, and host card parties, garden club meetings, and extended families at holidays. I've been told as much by the older residents. DH and I remodeled the original so nicely without adding an inch of actual space that it served me from 1976 to last year when we finally took a sledgehammer to it. Guests at my dinner parties joked that it was like the clown car from which so much entertainment emerged even if it appeared to hold so very very little. But I had to have rules and one was that no one could be in the space with me when I said I needed to be alone. We installed a long countertop which allowed me to plate things before serving and which accepted mounds of dirty dishes afterwards. Cleanup was also a one-person activity. No one was allowed to stand around to talk; guests could stand at either door if they really wanted to, but no, no, no, do not come in. The work triangle was a long obtuse triangle that covered the entire room. But the zones were there, crisp and sharp and functional.
    ...See More

How to furnish this small loft space for a bedroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    Post over in Home Decorating. Lots more activity there, and people who are real whizzes about this sort of thing.
    ...See More

When you think your kitchen is too small....

Q

Comments (19)
    My DH lived in an apartment in a round building for a while. Round building = pie shaped apartments! One end of the kitchen was only about 2 ft wide. You definitely couldn't open the fridge and oven at the same time! OTOH, before that apartment he lived in his family's camping trailer for a while, which was designed to be towed by a VW Beetle. Like Seagrass' brother, he liked being able to make a cup of coffee without getting out of bed! Donna
    ...See More
  • eandhl
    13 years ago

Some good ideas above but also suggest you keep weight in mind when you are selecting items.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten the lantern. I have a white gas one but also a big flashlight that runs off a 6 volt battery as a backup for lots of purposes.

I totally agree that maybe you should invest in one of those vacume sealers. I can't afford one, but friends who have bought them all love them and use them a lot, for other things besides camping too.

If you've got electricity you might want to invest in a small toaster oven. I dunno. I lived in the wilderness for several months once, and I know how to make all kinds of fried breads--pancakes, fry bread, english muffins, bannock bread, (basically scones baked in a fry pan) dumplings, etc. You can also fry toast. So I don't bake when on the road. But you might want to experiment with making your own baking mixes for the things I mentioned above. Or get some mixes if you can find a healthier brand. The usual brands have nothing but highly refined flour, weird fats and salt, but the concept is a great one!

I don't do powdered milk, but I LOVE the milk you can get in those aeseptic cardboard little boxes. That stuff keeps very well even unrefrigerated for a day or so if you're not in a super hot climate.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

I would for sure get a portable generator.

A 2,000 watt Honda is very small, extremely quiet. You can run it on the camp ground without others complaining. One gallon tank of gas in the generator can run up to 8 hours.

You can have: Microwave oven, small induction cooktop, TVs, big refrigerator, small toaster oven --- You can even run a hair dryer with the generator. You never have to worry about draining the car battery.

Of course, the generator can be used for camping trips, and for your house when there is a power outage.

dcarch

• triciae
    13 years ago

John, that looks like a very cool camper!

We're boaters. More specifically, we use our boat for long distance cruises between Canada & the Keys/Bahamas. We live on the CT coast. Boat galleys also have limited storage. Our boat has a propane two burner range with an oven underneath plus a side-by-side refrigerator & freezer plus a microwave. We've also got a toaster & coffee maker on the countertops but those have to be stowed when we're underway. We also have a BBQ that really extends functionality of our galley.

My suggestion would be for you to browse around a well equipped chandlery come spring. Inventories now will be minimal. Many galley items could be either used as-is or adapted to use for your RV. For instance, marine pots/pans have removeable handles & nest for compact storage.

We have a Magma BBQ. I'm thinking you could adapt one of Magma's mount kits for use on your RV. I know the grill would take up some precious stowage space but it sure would increase what you could turn out of that galley! I've included a link to Magma products. Scroll down to see their cookware sets.

I keep basically the same spice cabinet onboard as I do on land including baking spices. Because I've got an oven fresh bread & cookies even comes from our galley! Cookies are because man cannot live by bread alone - he/she MUST have cookies to survive in close quarters for long periods of time! (smile)

Again, you can purchase nifty teak spice racks that hold about 10 spice bottles that could easily be mounted to the side of your cabinets. There's a rail on the rack so they won't fall off the rack. Cup holders can hold bottles of olive oil, vinegars, condiments, etc. Like I said, I think if you browse a good chandlery you'll get lots of ideas for storage.

I stock our gallery differently depending on what we're doing. For instance, different food items if we're on a cruise versus being in our slip & using the boat like a waterfront condo (that's most of the time). When we're in our home slip & using the boat as a weekend condo then things like drinks & munchies are primary. We keep several cheeses in the refrigerator along with sour & cream cheese & a selection of hard salamis. There's always shrimp in the freezer. Oh, I've also got canned artichokes, roasted peppers, & a mix of relishes. Don't laugh but I've even got herb pots in our galley. DH hates them 'cause they have to be stowed every time we leave the slip. :( lol I just sit them on our dockbox until we return! :)

For your useage, I'm thinking you'll shop every couple days using an ice chest for storage. Get a good ice chest. A good one is worth the extra cost - again, look at a chandlery...much, much better quality available than at your local big box store.

I don't know where you live? West Marine is a nationwide chandlery but I'm sure you can find a better one near any coastal area that services the marine industry. If not, start with West Marine because they've also got stores inland to service lake/river areas. Wait 'til spring though - no inventory now through about March.

Have fun with that RV. After a couple trips you'll know what you need permanently onboard and what's best to cart back/forth.

I'm unable to use our boat now due to health issues so I'm envious of you getting a weekend away in your RV - really clears your head for Monday morning!

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Magma Marine Products

13 years ago

Here is the generator:

{{gwi:2076283}}

It is so quiet that you can have a conversation right next to it.

BTW, I am not the owner of Honda Corporation. :-). There are other manufacturers. With 2,000 watts, you can run a coofee maker, a bread making machine ---

dcarch

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

lpinks ideas are all very good. My biggest tip is to suggest you invest in some collapsible bowls. They take very little storage space, but with the options available, you can get everything from large mixing bowls to small collanders/strainers. I have a variety of collapsible prep bowls as well, which have measures listed on the inside to double as measuring devices.

I think pan toast is much better than what you get from a toaster, so I wouldn't need more than a cast iron skillet and a dutch oven.

Recently I made a small investment in some little squeeze bottles for things like barbecue sauce, mustard, ketchup, etc. These go with me in my travel kit, along with a few select spoons, spatulas, spreaders, etc. Those magnetic boxes for spices are ideal if you have something to stick them to.

I envy your new adventure! It's going to be fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Collapsible Bowls

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

John, I know I sound like a broken record, but a small pressure cooker set would do well here; they can be used as regular pots as well, and they are far more energy efficient than a regular pot. Since you'll be carrying your energy source with you, that could make a difference as to how often you need to refill that propane tank.

There are some books on Amazon about operating a boat galley kitchen; those might have some suggestions as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: pc set

• annie1992
    13 years ago

dcarch, that generator would be great except for the very limited space. Even if he has room for the generator he has no room to carry the appliances that would run on the generator's power.

I camp, but I camp in a tent, virtually no storage at all there, LOL. I have a set of blue enameled metal dishes, they are deep enough for chili or stew but can also be used as plates, so they are double duty. I subbed the blue metal cups (which got too hot to comfortably handle when filled with coffee or hot chocolate) with small travel mugs, they keep your stuff warm or cold and help prevent spills in the camper. Like CdL, I take one deep skillet that I bought at Goodwill and my cast iron dutch oven. With those two pans I can make anything from soup to cinnamon rolls. I bake in the dutch oven with charcoal, those camp ground grills work great for setting up a dutch oven if you don't have a campfire. On a stove I can use it for deep frying or for simmering sauce, baking apple pie or chocolate chip cookies, whatever.

The small containers for spices and seasonings are a good idea, I used to use the film containers back in the dark ages when 35 MM film came in little plastic barrels with lids.

Oh, and I have to have a coffee pot, I have an old percolator that goes on top of the stove, it took some getting used to but it works well.

Lpink has a good list, and I agree, don't forget the lantern.

Utensils? I only need a can opener, a swiss army knife which has your corkscrew on it, a paring knife, a larger knife for chopping/slicing, a spatula/turner, a spoon (mine is wooden) and tableware for as many people as you intend to feed. Tongs are useful too.

Have fun! Oh, and I agree with bcskye on the blankets too. There is nothing more likely to make someone hate camping than spending the night cold.

Annie

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Campingworld has lots of toys, kitchen and other camping necessities. Link below to their cooking section. Lots of stuff can be bought at Target and camping stores. They specialize in small/compact/light for some of the backpacking crowd.

When we RVed/camped, I would premake or pre-assemble a lot of foods - throw chicken breasts/beef cubes for kabobs in a plastic bag with marinades or seasonings, and freeze, to be taken out hours before throwing on a grill. Pre-cook turkey patties. Frozen peas work well too, etc.

We would also pack paper plates, not plastic, and save them throughout the day to use them for campfire kindling after dinner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camping world

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the idea of a marine chanderly!

Interesting idea, to carry a pressure cooker. I see they make ''camping'' pressure cookers that are somewhat compact and not expensive.

A generator is also an interesting idea but I don't have room to carry one. I can fit dual - even triple - deep cycle batteries in the van, plus inverter. Enough to run a ''half-pint'' microwave, if I had one.

No duct tape needed anymore, thank goodness. Vanny no longer has his original wasserboxer engine. He underwent a heart transplant this spring. I installed a zero-miles Ford ''Zetec'' engine - used in the Focus and other models.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camping Pressure Cooker

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I agree any flashlight should be of the LED type.. they are very bright and last many hours. The pencil sized one I use at work has a 60 battery life. The bulb is 100,000 hour and almost unbreakable. I'm a fan of the Streamlight brand which are very high quality. I'm using a Coleman LED "lantern" for a bedside light because I've not found a lamp I like. The batteries last a year in it.

I didn't see a cigarette lighter or box of kitchen matches on the list.

If you fish a fillet knife would be nice. I lived for a week off beer, pancakes, and fresh fish on a trip to the Hudson Bay Territory. Really sick of fish when I was done but appreciated the variety of civilization after that.

: )
    lyra

13 years ago

"--- generator is also an interesting idea but I don't have room to carry one. I can fit dual - even triple - deep cycle batteries in the van, plus inverter. Enough to run a ''half-pint'' microwave, if I had one. "

A deep cycle battery is heavier and about the same size as the generator.

A 2000 watt inverter is about $200
    A deep cycle battery is about $300

You might as well get a generator.

dcarch

13 years ago

Posted by bunnyman ---"I agree any flashlight should be of the LED type.. -----"

If fuel consumption is of concern, you can replace all auto lights, parking lihgts, emergency lights, backup lights, all interior lights ---- all except headlights with plug compatible LED lights.

You will never have to change bulbs agains. Remove them for you next new car if you junk your car.

dcarch

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Those blankets I mentioned earlier are, I think, called space blankets. We have one of the Honda 2000 generators that dcarch mentioned. When we had our ancient travel trailer with no room inside for much of anything, DH bought one of those things that look like a large grate that slide on a hitch receiver on the back of your vehicle. I think it was about four or five feet wide and a couple of feet deep. Then he bought a large heavy rubber/plastic flip top storage box that he fastened to it. You'd be surprised how much you can get into one of those. You would be able to carry the small generator plus a lot of other things. We also used it on the back of an old pickup truck. One thing for sure, if you pack any type of food in it, make sure you securely fasten the top. On one camping trip to Luddington, MI we were awaken by the constant rustling of something in that storage box. DH went out to check and a couple of racoons were making great headway into the 40 lb. of dog food we had in there for our two very large dogs. Lesson learned. Anyway, we do use our generator when we have to boondock but minimally and its been a wonderful thing to have at home when we have one of our frequent power outages. Lightweight, compact and very quiet.

Oh, don't forget the reflective triangles in case you have a breakdown and a battery operated weather radio that will notify you if severe weather is coming your way. You can get very small ones and they can save your life.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

If you camp mostly during a season, i.e. late spring thru late summer/early fall you could make up some homemade mixes and put them in zip bags to grab when you are loading up for a trip. I'm talking about pancakes, biscuits (they're delicious fried in butter in a cast iron skillet), cobbler dough (just add fresh or canned fruit), cornbread, dumplings, pizza crust, etc. Just mix all the dry ingredients in the zip bag, label it with kind of mix and the wet ingredients needed for the recipe. In a pinch, you can use your cornbread mix to dredge those fresh fish you will catch. ;o)

Teresa

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

Dcarch, those numbers don't sound right to me. The specs for the one you linked say it runs four hours on rated load (which is 1600 Watts, not 2000)

John, is there any way you can cook a meal in there before you leave for your trip? It would be helpful at least in making sure you didn't forget anything really important. Honestly, I'd probably skip the small appliances. You can run stuff through the food processor before you go, if you need a ton of chopping. I'd get one of these type things for coffee: http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/16co270.html. It makes strong stuff, so you might want to bring along some higher-fat dairy.

If you're not bringing fresh garlic and onions, I guess I'd have powdered. Otherwise, I'd probably need almost nothing. Salt. For you, I'd guess whatever spices you find yourself using all the time would be a good place to start. I'd probably use most of the space for convenience food-- peanut butter, dried pasta, whatever. I'd have some tomato sauce-- I always find a use.

13 years ago

"Dcarch, those numbers don't sound right to me. The specs for the one you linked say it runs four hours on rated load (which is 1600 Watts, not 2000) "

Here are the specs:
    EU2000iA

2000 watts, 120V
    Ideal for TV/DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
    Super quiet
    Easy to carry - less than 47 lbs!!
    Fuel efficient - up to 15 hrs on 1 gal of gas
    Inverter - stable power for computers and more
    2000 watts (16.7 A) of Honda Inverter 120V AC Power
    Super quiet - 53 to 59 dB(A)
    Lightweight (less than 47 lbs.)
    Eco-Throttle - runs up to 15 hr on 1.1 gal. of fuel
    Advanced inverter technology provides reliable power to computers and other sensitive equipment
    12v - 8.0A DC output
    Parallel with another EU2000i for additional power
    Protected by Oil Alert®
    Power for microwave, refrigerators, hair dryer, and small AC units
    USDA-qualifed spark arrestor/muffler
    3 year residential and commercial warranty
    ------------------------------------------------

The engine is air cooled, How much you can run it to capacity full-time depends on how hot the weather is also. 1,600 Watts is what they recommend for most situations. You can run it to 2000 watts max for a while on a very hot summer day, much longer in cold winter. In the night time, all you are running would be the refrigerator and a couple of lights, you should be able to get 15 hours of run time.

It is powerd by a Honda GX100 4-stroke OHC engine, which is known for it's reliability. 4-stroke means you don't have to mix fuel and oil. Using a high quality engine oil will make the engine last a long time.

dcarch

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

We have a 30' class A RV. With your space constrictions (we used to tent camp with everything in totes and coolers), I would say 1 skillet, 1 sauce pan, and a dutch oven with a lid. Lids for them all if possible. 1 flipper, 1 spatula/scraper, 1 slotted spoon, 1 solid bowl spoon. Collapsable bowls and collander. Pot holders/mits. Matches. Salt, pepper, paprika, italian seasoning, chili powder, what ever seasonings you would usually use at home. Tones makes tiny containers with a large selection of spices/seasonings for around $1, that are about the size of Annie's film cans. Portable gas grill. Dish soap, dish towels, paper towels. A friend gave me the idea of using a paper towel holder bungie corded to the awning post to have them handy outside when cooking/eating. Table ware can be stored in small plastic totes. Dish pan. That tiny sink will be a pain in the you know what to do dishes in, so take a dish pan and do them outside when possible.

As to packaged food. Check the book sites for a book called Make-A-Mix. There is a volume two, I think. I have the first one. That is my where my sloppy joe recipe came from. Tastes pretty much like manwich. I leave out the green peppers and garlic, but I don't like green peppers and am allergic to the garlic. Still really good. I thing Grainlady mentioned the make a mix books in another thread. Many good recipes for mixes in there. You can use very small plastic zip bags that I find in the jewelry dept of the craft stores to store the seasoning mixes like the sloppy joe mixes in, writing the date made and any needed instructions in marker on the bag. Store a bunch of the small bags in a larger one. Tea bags, coffee, hot chocolate mixes (can find one in the make a mix book, but I have a better one. If you want it, I'll look it up and post it). A camp coffee pot works for boiling water for tea, hot chocolate, coffee, and heating water for dishes. The camp percolater, figure out how many cups it makes, add the amt of coffee you like for that amount of water, and after it starts to perk, time it for 8 minutes. If you want it stronger, go 9, no more than 10 minutes or it gets bitter. And it takes up less space than a counter top coffee maker. We use more paper plates and plastic silver ware than use regular, but your choice. Cereal bowls. Sugar, flour, cornmeal, all in small amts, in airtight containers. If it's airtight, you can leave it there all season, same with the spices. I don't even take the jars of flour and stuff like that out in the winter. Instant rice.

dcarch, we have the E2000 generator, and it weighs lots more than the one you have listed. It is very quiet, tho. It would store great on the grate in the hitch, too! So would a portable gas grill.

If you want the hot chocolate recipe, and don't get a reply here in this post, email me thru my page, incase I forget to check the thread! I'm getting forgetful!

Tami

13 years ago

Couple more things to consider:

Depending on where you are staying, a RV solar hot water shower may be a good thing. does not take up much room.

You can take lots of pillows, comforters, blankets, clothing, etc. Put them in a big plastic garbage bag, use a vacuum to suck out the air from the bag, You can reduce the volume drastically.

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I agree with Tami, you want a dishpan so you can do dishes outside when the weather is nice, you don't have to worry about spills, etc. I use frying pans of the same approximate size for lids for pots. Not elegant but saves space. Specialty places for camping, boats, etc. may sell the kind of frypans with collapsable handles. I like those. Serious backpackers use a pot gripper and their pots and pans have no handles at all. That's where I learned the pan for a lid trick and other space/weight saving options.

On the other hand, if you're going to do campfire cooking or stovetop baking, you're going to want cast iron.

• John Liu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know, square pots would pack so much better than round.

The thing is, the camper is like Goldilocks' dilemma.

It is not big enough for kitchen furnishing to be simple, like a big motorhome where you can pretty much bring everything, so there are no choices to be made.

It is not small enough for kitchen furnishing to be simple, like a backpack where you can pretty much bring nothing, so there are no choices to be made.

It is just the size to require many choices. Should the saute pan be non-stick for easy clean-up with limited water/sink, or a iron or steel one for fond? Two pans, for toast and eggs at the same time, or one, and let the toast get cold while the eggs are scrambling? A larger pot for easy pasta boiling, or two smaller ones to allow making an extra dish? Chef's knife and bread knife, or Chef's knife and paring knife? Forks and spoons, or sporks?

I remember backpacking kitchens. I carried one aluminium pot and the lid was either the cutting board, second pan, or dish. One fork and one spoon, with holes drilled in the cut-off handles. Salt, pepper, onion powder, and seasoned salt in teeny vials. The whole kitchen, even the stove, fit in the pot.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

If in doubt of what size to use for what I call "car camping", I say go big. For example, you can fry and heat things and keep them warm in a big pot while you are using your main frying pan. You can also keep things warm by putting your frying pan over your boiling soup pot for a layered effect. You can fill a soup pot 1/4 full.

Frankly I have never found "non-stick" pans to be easy clean up. Plus, with all the ins and outs of tripping I think non-stick would be in danger of getting scratched, which is why I no longer use it for camping. I use my stainless steel with a cast aluminum bottom for camping. I hate schlepping cast iron around. If I had a cabin I would get it, but for a van, probably not. But that's just me, I am incredibly lazy when I am on vacation.