SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jama123

white kitchen cabinets/cherry island/ what countertops?

jama123
14 years ago

More help would be greatly appreciated from this wonderful forum!

I will be renovating the kitchen in my center hall colonial next month. I have selected off-white painted perimeter cabinets and a dark red/brown cherry island and hutch. The floors will be oak. I am totally stumped on what to do for the counters/backsplash, though.

I would love to put honed white marble throughout the kitchen or just on the island, but have come to the conclusion it is just too much maintenance for me. I have not been happy with the marble-like white granite and quartz I have seen, either. I have also concluded that the room is too small for soapstone on both the counters and island.

The latest idea is to put a thick butcher block top on the island and some another material on the white cabinet perimeter. The kitchen is narrow and the island is only about 2 1/2 feet wide, which I think it is a good width for a butcherblock top. The question is, though, will it look cool or will it look weird to have butcher block on a sort-of fancy small cherry island??

If I put wood on the cherry island, what counters should I put on the white perimeter cabinets? And, how can I tie the whole thing together with a backsplash or via other means so it does not get too crazy looking?

So far my leading contenders for the perimeter counters would be either honed black granite, a sand colored quartz that mimics the color of the butcher block, or a maybe brown shiny quartz or granite that has some of the red/brown island color in it. What do you think of these options?? Do any sound good? I would be very grateful for your feedback.

And ... just to make it a little more challenging ... I would love to display my predominantly white and cobalt blue (with touches of maroon) dishes in the kitchen, if I can. If I cant, though, it is not a big deal -

Thanks for any help!!! These are samples of the cabinets and wood floor . The slate is in the adjoining hallway:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)