SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mercymygft_gw

Death of a vision....letting go

Mercymygft
12 years ago

Well, I am sad to have to say that the kitchen I have been planning here, which you all have helped with, is now not going to happen. We were going to purchase my MILs house, put on an addition that would house the new kitchen, eating area and family room. We have had to scrap the plan.

My MIL has been living in an assisted living facility near our home. She has Alzheimers and recently they have moved her to the Alzheimers unit there. She had money aside from her house that has been paying the bills, but the bill is hugh and her money is running out. Like I said our plan was to sell our house and purchase her house and do the addition, etc. However, I guess we waited a little too long and there were other circumstances that held us back from moving forward in the recent past months. We were just now going to move forward, but my husband is worried about the complications of selling our house and purchasing hers with a 203K loan which could take longer than a normal loan...and her running out of money. Where she is, is a private pay facility...so no pay, no stay.

I originally wasn't even interested in her house until my husband suggested we purchase it (he was feeling sentimental about the house he grew up in). But after I started thinking about the house, my design wheels started spinning and I started growing attached to her house...especially if we could do the upgrades I wanted. If we could do the addition, I knew it would be a good move for us. I had a couple contractors come and they confirmed that what I wanted to do was feasible and probably wouldn't cost that much as to price us out of the neighborhood, etc. We currently live in a townhouse, she has a single family home with a detached garage. I also knew that we would be able to purchase it for a good price even with the cost of the addition, kitchen, etc. However, we just ran out of time, and our main concern in all this is my MILs care.

So now I need to let the vision die. Its really hard because over the past several months, I have thought so much about what I would do, I've become emotionally attached to the house. I would have loved to see the vision I had for her house come to fruition...but I guess it was not meant to be.

So I guess I am saying bye for now. My husband says that with this door closed maybe another better door will open. We will see.

Comments (30)