SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swisher7

Eucalyptus sudden death upper portion

swisher7
16 years ago

I have two Eucalyptus trees in my yard about 30 feet apart. One is about 40 feet tall with long pointed leaves and healthy. The other is about 35 feet tall with round leaves. About a month ago I notice that all the leaves on the smaller tree were drying and falling off. I started watering the tree but the leaves continued to dry and fall off to the point where all are now dead and most have fallen off. Most of the bark has fallen off and the outer trunk which is about 1/4 inch thick is very dry and splitting. I can feel an inner trunk that is hard between the cracks and it appears that there are possibly worm paths eaten into this inner trunk surface. The whole tree looks like it simply died all at once except for some new growth sprouts around the bottom of the trunk. I don't know if the tree is dead and going to fall over or if it is going through some transformation and going to revive. I live in Tucson Arizona and it has been quite dry although my other large trees seem to be doing fine with the drip system and occasional rains.

Comment (1)