SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Praying for cows ;)

marilyn_c
14 years ago

We love the things that little children say and do...our kids and grandkids, but do you remember any of the funny things that you did when you were a little kid?

I had a fixation with cows. I loved horses too, but except for an old man who drove a buckboard into town to buy his groceries and supplies, there weren't very many horses nearby, but quite a few cows. We had a milk cow named Cherry, and I had a heifer named Queenie, but Queenie had brucellosis, which meant she could never have a calf, and so she was sold...much to my dismay. I was five, or less, because I remember we were living in "the telephone office." My mother was the switchboard operator and it was in the living room. The house came with the job.

If I saw a trailer go by with cows in it, I would run inside and ask my mother where they were going. Sometimes she would tell me they were taking them to another pasture, and

to me, that was okay, but sometimes she said they were going to Port City, which was the name of the stockyards, and slaughter house. In that case, I would say a prayer for the cows. (I am sure my mother had no idea that it upset me that cows might be going to Port City...or she would have told me they were all going to a different pasture).

I also would sit in the back seat of the car when we were going some place and wave at the cows in the pastures we passed. I remember my nephew, who was a year older than me,

was sitting in the backseat and he started waving at the cows too, and me, being sort of a brat, complained to my mother that I didn't want him waving at the cows. So she told us that he could wave at the cows on his side and I could wave at the cows on my side. I can still see him sitting there, waving at the cows.

I had a cat that I named Fig Orchard...I just liked the way it sounded...and an imaginary friend that worked in the fig plant...which was the towns only industry...a fig preserves

plant...and his name was Hurdy Gurdy.

So...tell me I am not the only weird one. Did you do silly things like that...or have an imaginary friend?

Comments (17)