SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Sateen sheets question (specifically Sferra)

northcarolina
10 years ago

The short version: Will new sateen sheets "de-slink" (for lack of a better word) after being washed? Will washing make them less slippery?

The long version: We just got a new mattress. It's 15" thick so we need new sheets. After looking at a lot of reviews online and at the percale vs sateen threads here, I decided there was no consensus on what made a good sheet (ha); my husband also told me he would like high thread count smooth sheets that wouldn't stick to his pajamas. I brought home a set of 300 tc sateen Antonia sheets by Sferra (bought at Tuesday Morning). They had 500 and 600 count ones too but they looked too shiny for my taste. We tried the fitted sheet straight from the package on the new bed today to see if it would fit. Immediately my husband said "Yes" but I said "Yuck." What I didn't like was the slinkiness; it felt like satin (the polyester variety) and was just too slippery for me. I also brought home a set of Wamsutta Pinpoint 360 tc from BB&B and they are completely different, but I think I'll like them much better (actually I have decreed that we are keeping them and they are in the wash right now). My husband says we should keep them both, which would make sense except that the Sferra sheets were not cheap and if I am going to hate them I'll never use them and that would be a waste of a fair amount of money. So since my husband ought to like our sheets too, I was wondering if I washed the Sferra sateens to get off the sizing or whatever they put on them, would the slinky feeling would go away at all. (For the record, he says I should do whatever I Iike and he'll be fine with it. We've been married a while...)

-- sigh -- I was THIS close to buying the cotton blend 250 tc percale from Walmart (one of the few that has almost uniformly good reviews) but then I thought what a shame to get this expensive and extremely comfy new mattress, and then put $30 sheets from Walmart on it. And a blend at that. [vapors] But I bet they'd be closer to our old sheets than the others are. Also for the record I have no objection to paying a little more than I have, but goodness, if they're only going to remind me of poly satin then what's the point?

Comments (8)